Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Kong Off III - AA King of Kong Official Thread

Interesting - so the game doesn't play by rote, this is something I wasn't aware of... a new found respect for game. That game I had, I had about 6 fireballs going nuts from the very start of the L6 pies... 1 or two down the bottom hunting me, then the top ones split up and followed me left and right blocking my exit... There were some badasses in that level ! Can only imagine how it gets later ?

My personally belief is that is doesn't get any harder from Level 5 onwards - it's exactly the same game over and over, so if you get a nasty screen it's just a fact of life. I stand to be corrected on this, my understanding is that there is no change in the code of the game for levels 5-21 in terms of game playability.

Not only is this game random, even if you save state a level it won't play exactly the same way the next time you load it as the randomness is constantly changing (based on joystick movement I believe, and possibly also a random factor such as time)

- - - Updated - - -

Pie factory is the worst lvl in the game.

No consistency in it, any other lvl you can usually say mabey if I did this I would have been right. The pies, well sometimes they all come down at you and your screwed. I had a game last night where there was 1 on the bottom conveyer and 1 each on the three platforms above it 2 on the middle one, I was just running on the bottom climbing up to the first conveyer then climbing back down till the timer ran out, next life got a free pass. That's just how she rolls

Nick

I was actually thinking about this earlier today (what a boring person I am), whether or not there are any truly impossible boards. A lot of my deaths are because of impossible situations, but they're probably only impossible because of the situation I put myself in and my skill level.

E.g. I've seen guys trapped on the rivets on the 3rd or 4th highest platform who will jump off, fireball comes in and misses them and then they rebound off the magic invisible wall to safety. I wasn't aware you could do this until a while a go, and I still don't have the brains to try doing this when I think I'm stuck.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a way to start the weekend! YEAH BABY!! new PB and finally cracked the 200k. from second last to second! didnt die once on elevators. 1st lost at 70k, next 2 men lost on the 1 pie factory to 3 fireballs hovering over the tops of the ladder both times at around 130k last man got me over 100k and died due to a mistimed jump on the barrel stage due to my excitement. 0058.png.31a2d795d0bf4692cbfaadca04590086.png

what a way to start the weekend! YEAH BABY!! new PB and finally cracked the 200k. from second last to second! didnt die once on elevators. 1st lost at 70k, next 2 men lost on the 1 pie factory to 3 fireballs hovering over the tops of the ladder both times at around 130k last man got me over 100k and died due to a mistimed jump on the barrel stage due to my excitement. [ATTACH=CONFIG]50253[/ATTACH]

I only clicked: Like Post because there was no "I dislike post". Beat my score will ya *shakes fist*

Getting work vehicle serviced, 2 hours of trying to knock off your score :p

- - - Updated - - -

How much game time is required in these 200k games?

The time to practice to be able to score 200k? For me about 6 months :lol

But in actual game play time, 200k is about a 30 min game I guess

- - - Updated - - -

Leaderboard updated (to reflect MameShane's temporary promotion to 2nd :lol)

Had a good game today, deaths at 27k, 299k, 481k, 529k.

The third death was pretty tragic, was running for the last rivet as the timer was on zero, died while standing ON the rivet, but not far enough to be past the rivet :rolleyes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50282[/ATTACH]

Had a good game today, deaths at 27k, 299k, 481k, 529k.

The third death was pretty tragic, was running for the last rivet as the timer was on zero, died while standing ON the rivet, but not far enough to be past the rivet :rolleyes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50282[/ATTACH]

Great Score :o

Little tip - apparently you can't die while (from timer being on zero) in the air :)

209k yesterday morning, 220k this morning. This is starting to piss me off :realmad:

Having trouble with my stream - XSplit seems to just lose the connection and that's it. Playing using a Cable connection ATM which has both a faster up & down connection than my ADSL, however the ADSL seems to be more reliable. Weird :confused:

Some of you guys probably already know about this, but thought I would post it anyway.

This guy has disassembled the DK rom code, and fixed the overflow error that causes the kill screen, and re-assembled the code so the game can be played without a kill screen.

It would be kind of cool imo, to see a 'new' rom come out without kill screen, to see really, 'how high can you get'

http://www.donhodges.com/how_high_can_you_get.htm

Course it would turn the game into an uber-marathon aka Q*bert - but would become more than point pressing the bee-jesus out of every level till the kill screen hits.

Some of you guys probably already know about this, but thought I would post it anyway.

This guy has disassembled the DK rom code, and fixed the overflow error that causes the kill screen, and re-assembled the code so the game can be played without a kill screen.

It would be kind of cool imo, to see a 'new' rom come out without kill screen, to see really, 'how high can you get'

http://www.donhodges.com/how_high_can_you_get.htm

Course it would turn the game into an uber-marathon aka Q*bert - but would become more than point pressing the bee-jesus out of every level till the kill screen hits.

There doesn't seem to be any interest in playing this ROM by the DKPPAoA (Donkey Kong Professional Players Association of America) and I don't really understand why - I get the killscreen is part of the game, I get that point pressing is part of the game, but surely a fixed ROM and let guys go for it would be kinda cool - chuck in $1000 in prize money and away you go.

I guess they may figure that this would take away from the awesomeness that is DK - who knows - maybe I'll ask on the DK forum (and probably get booted from it for asking such an ugly ugly question) :lol

If you got a more bonus jumpmen after your initial then I would agree with you about the marathon - but even with 4 men and guys just running boards, sooner or later your luck will run out, be it an impossible wild barrel, stubborn pie factory or rivet stage or dare I say miss timing the elevator stage (Hank Chien I believe says you should pass this level 95% (or was it 99) of the time) - so even he wouldn't expect to be able to maraton DK for days on end like Q*Bert.

The consensus at http://www.DonkeyKongForum.Com is that the high score would be between 2.5 and 3.2 Million, and that comes from some of the top players, include #2 WR holder Vincent LeMay from memory. Sooner or later in this game you will cop something that is inescapable, no mater what your skill level. There are still safe places to point press, so I imagine point pressing would still be in the game but nowhere near to the extend that there is now.

The consensus at www.DonkeyKongForum.Com is that the high score would be between 2.5 and 3.2 Million, and that comes from some of the top players, include #2 WR holder Vincent LeMay from memory.

Yeah makes sense, there's quite a few games that only give you one extra man from this era of gaming, and the uber guys are around ballpark 1 million per man for total. Still would be cool to see just how much further the guys that can actually make the kill screen, would get...maybe one day

All quiet on the Kong front?

I had a couple of games (streamed them) last night, those wanting a lesson in how to suck at DK, the vids are still up :lol

4 Day week means I get absolutely smashed with 5+ days of work packed into four, so no energy or brain power to play this week. Might give it another shot tomorrow, still eyeing off 2nd place :) May even move my cabs out of the garage where they are stored with all my furniture pre-move and have a shot using a joystick instead of this stupid keyboard.

Not a lack of attempts just a lack of motivation.

Or to put it mildly if I keep playing this F@#$ing game I will cause some serious damage to either my PC, joystick or both.

The hairy arsed bastard is REALLY giving me the shits right now to the point where if I never play DK again it'll be too bloody soon. :realmad::realmad:

I have been playing a game or 2 each night. but have been busy this week. I will be getting in a few games tonight and tomorrow and hopefully get a bigger score to post before end of competition. would be nice to stay in the top 3.