IGNORED

A new gamesroom is being birthed.

So, this weekend, I started the build on the garage games room. We had a builder come out and get all the framing right, and then I looked into some plastering quotes. The plastering quotes were all coming out as way too pricey, so I decided to do it myself with the help of a mate who had done some plastering work before. We are both amateur as all hell, but we managed to get it to a point where it doesn't look totally terrible :) After 2 days of work, we have gone from this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45246[/ATTACH]

To this. Not the best comparison photo :) But you get the general idea. Ceiling is up, most of the walls are up. Just have one more gyprock sheet to put up tomorrow arvo and then it is time to start plastering the joins. Then a spot of sanding and I will be getting the builder back out to finish the fit out on the windows and doors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45247[/ATTACH]

The entire space is around 6 metres by 3.5 metres. Bit of an upgrade from the small bedroom I have all my crap in now. It will be nice to spread out.

SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Small update. On holidays now, so I have the time to finish it off, in between drinking beer and playing lots of videogames of course. Finished the sanding of the plaster joins, builder came and finished the fitting of the skirting boards, window sills etc. Then the Sparky came out and hooked it all up. Now that the plaster is all smooth (as smooth as an amateur like me can make it) it's time to start painting tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45825[/ATTACH]

However, bit of a disaster. When we were putting up the gyprock on the ceiling it was pissing rain. We noticed that there were some drip leaks coming though the roof :( Good thing we noticed as we were plastering and not after the entire ceiling had gone up and then been damaged by the water. So, everytime it has rained in the last few weeks I have been sitting up in the ceiling with drip buckets and towels, waiting for leaks to form. Found 5 drip leaks thus far and I am pretty sure I have them under control. No noticeable gyprock damage anyway, which is good. The old roof is Super-6 fibro and is in poor shape, would have been put up in the 50s I think. As we never really used the garage, we didn't really know just how poor shape it really was.

Anyway, to get to the point, we got quotes to replace it, due to the asbestos removal, we are looking at like $5500 which is out of my meagre budget at the moment. Is anyone a roofer with an asbestos licence, or knows a good roofer who would be willing to do a discounted cash in hand/off the books job and help out a fellow gamer? :) I live in Brisbane on the South side at Holland Park. Hit me up with a PM if you think you can help! Thanks.

I will throw up some more photos when the painting starts.

Sorry to hear about the leaks...

That is something to get fixed ASAP as water internally once you've cladded can quickly destroy gyprock, and all the fixtures etc, which becomes a bigger pain to fix than the initial installation.

Hope you get it sorted ASAP :)

Yeah, right now, it's under control with the drip buckets in the ceiling and my watchful eye everytime it rains, but it needs to be done soon for sure. Sadly, I had set an entire budget on the room at about 4-5 grand. We would have made it in easily under that, but now, the ****ing roof needs re-doing.

There's always something extra, in this case, something extra that has cost more than the rest of the work combined :(

I dunno Halo1963, if there is a cheaper, half-assed option, I would go for it. I just assumed that replacement was the only option as no one will work with asbestos ridden fibro aside from just removing it.

If you know more about other options, let me know :)

Yeah, probably not going to happen. I am high school teacher by trade and very far removed from construction work or demolition. Removing the roof myself would probably end in some kind of disaster where I break both my legs and end up with lung cancer. It would be a good plan for the physically capable, but not for me :)

• 3 months later...

After many months, the games room is finally finished. Still have a small part to do on the roof which will be done next Wednesday, but it is tarped and watertight until then.

First photo!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49812[/ATTACH]

I have not moved anything in save for the Exceleena cab and a small lowboy/coffin style cab. The MAME machine is still in the house and I am dreading moving that bastard, as it is an LAI NBA Jam machine, which are heavy as hell and freaking massive. I am moving all the consoles in this arvo/evening and will put up some more photos as it takes shape.

Did the plastering and painting myself with help from a mate. Doing the roofing with my dad and his builder mate (aside from the asbestos removal). We also had a sparky friend do the wiring for a great price. All in all, saved a lot of money doing most of the work on the cheap.

Right, time to get back to moving stuff :)

Yeah, right now, it's under control with the drip buckets in the ceiling and my watchful eye everytime it rains, but it needs to be done soon for sure. Sadly, I had set an entire budget on the room at about 4-5 grand. We would have made it in easily under that, but now, the ****ing roof needs re-doing.

There's always something extra, in this case, something extra that has cost more than the rest of the work combined :(

Be VERY careful with that fibro stuff from the 50's dude it could ceasily contain asbestos.

Best to get a professional to remove it and replace it with tin.

That stuff will kill you before you have a chance to fill the room.

Be VERY careful with that fibro stuff from the 50's dude it could ceasily contain asbestos.

Best to get a professional to remove it and replace it with tin.

That stuff will kill you before you have a chance to fill the room.

It was asbestos, super 6 fibro from the 50s. We paid a professional to remove it, all gone and now replaced with red colorbond. Still have a small section of the roof to finish, which will be done next week.

The floor is carpet tiles, cheap and piss easy to lay :)