Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What is your most rarest item you own ?

An officers eyeglass from a WWII US Navy ship, don't know which. A friend of the family was rather friendly with the boys when they visited back in the day and I recall her mentioning an officer 'friend' of hers had given it to her before he left. The serial number on the felt lined wooden box matches the one on the eyeglass. I used to play with it when I was a kid (very carefully) and she left it to me in her will. Come to think of it I'm not sure where the wife has 'stored' it. No idea what it's worth but I saw one similar without a box in a US antique catalog about a decade ago when I was looking for more info, no price guide though.

Looks similar to this one:

DSCF0132_resize.jpg.7fbf0f994de3b324cdc6c5936de4ca39.jpg

With a box like this one:

navy-spyglass.jpg.0a1fb5ff9d40cf47c3a1e1c79c9436ec.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a game point of view some of my Atari Carts besides that ummm music wise heaps. Being Stevos brother from Area-7 for those of you that remember them (Just did a gig in Brisbane recently & were seen on TV quite a bit on Rove/Hey Hey/Pepsi Live etc some years ago) and also xroadie of The Living End back at the start until 1st album release i have:

Gene Simmons from Kiss make up towel from backstage at Rove Live when they were on the show that Stevo & me were invited to by Rove after A7 appeared on the show a few times before this discovering that we were just as big a fan as he was so invited us along.

Chris Cheneys personal Tshirt from the tour of duty concert they did in timor with Doc Neeson/Kylie minogue etc and various backstage passes from festivals that TLE & A7 did.

A pair of LUC Longleys shoes signed that he wore in his NBA Chicago Bulls days that Chris Cheney got for me as well as a Charles Barkley NBA signed suns card and book.

Various NBL memorabillia from Andrew Gaze & Shane Heal (who i met several times after games in after game bar catch ups) through my brothers close close friend Wayne larkins (Shortest Aussie Basketballer EVER) who played with Melbourne Magic,Geelong Supercats,Brisbane Bullets & finished with the now obsolete Gold Coast Rollers.

Lots of other music collectables from several bands through meeting artists after artists local & internationally backstage at falls festivals, Vans warped festivals and big day out festivals etc.

An 1896 British pharmacopoeia from when pharmacists were in the confectionery and soft drink trade as well as pharmaceuticals.

Took me ages to get used to the imperial measurements as well as the shorthand abbreviations.

One day, I might even get round to making some of the lollies and drinks :-)

My old Dungeon and Dragons books

Not much has survived of my personal effects over time, Except I did keep my D&D books.

Not sure how rare they are, And not all in great condition.

Got me interested enough to dig em out and take some photos :rulez:

RIMG0024.thumb.jpg.77de986cea399cf6b17ff9f735fd5071.jpgRIMG0025.thumb.jpg.b4bc54cb1e26bf07effcdfb399be1e6d.jpgRIMG0026.thumb.jpg.aacdf9c0fd349229974aea3e73385c24.jpgRIMG0027.thumb.jpg.a90b2cf6ad9eddb846611ecd4de322fb.jpg

Awe man this thread sucked me right in, I love seeing this stuff, ALL of it.:)

My rarest contraption/thing is a dual chassis tube-pre-amplifier that I picked up about 2 years ago, for part of my music system. Fully Australian/Melbourne built by hand, hand wound transformers and all, except the casing which is from the US.

I grabbed this cause it's a dual mono design, to match my power amplifier, but the difference here and the selling point for me is that this thing has two power supply inputs ie. two power cords, one for each channel left and right. As far as I know this is a one-off build and I don't take these things for granted. Sounds awesome!!

1631054991_preamp.jpg.933006138d4cd3becf0206a4981de116.jpg

This is another one that's not overly rare but it's my favourite collectable doodad. A desktop model of Sputnik released in the USSR to celebrate it's launch, I think in 1959 and the word trailing behind it is mir (few meanings including peace). I've always been interested in science and space (and scifi) and I found it in an antique toy store in Paris so it's also a reminder of a good time.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac170/games76/sputnik.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac170/games76/Sputnik2.jpg

I have been collecting Uranium glass for about ten years, most of which is vintage or antique. During that time i have picked up quite a few pieces that are worth a few bob, but its not about money value for me....I just love the stuff!

95804734_Assorted016.thumb.jpg.94bf54dbaac2e49b4454bf17415733ae.jpg1560677277_Etchedblueandgreencocktailglass.thumb.jpg.cf1009ab9bf591c303047928b82d9da2.jpg1801881710_GlassPicstosort009.thumb.jpg.c19ecdf9dfe529b926e1f4cae4827338.jpg556643054_GlassPicstosort187.thumb.jpg.ff06ecf5acffaff00569b887fdff1857.jpg2024304810_HandblownVictorianvase.thumb.jpg.5f2eba089fff4fdf84fb3f3daad9b35f.jpg391395454_Handblownvictorianvase1.thumb.jpg.88293179010397afc2592735e9a75ed1.jpg1180718921_Teacupampsaucer.thumb.jpg.482c9b3acb48cd10c8c39bd6051e574d.jpg398531374_Unknownvase4.thumb.jpg.c81281b825e039b2d98d21b221698549.jpg1047536490_Assorted027.thumb.jpg.c5f2162ce386a642e8357cdaec080f74.jpg

The name 'Uranium Glass' comes from the use of uranium oxide in the crafting process usually in order to attain a yellow or green colour in the finished product. This uranium content causes the glass to 'fluoresce' when exposed to ultraviolet light (blacklight) causing it to glow like neon.....which just looks frickin awesome when you have a cabinet full of the stuff!:D

The actual uranium content is very low and although it is slightly radioactive it is still less that what is being given off by the computer monitor i am currently parked in front of!

The most valuable piece I currently own is the large yellow vase, but the jury is out on an exact figure as i have taken it to numerous antique shops/collectors/and supposed experts all of which try to tell me a different story....but all do try and buy it off me!

Best unprompted offer i had on it from a dealer was $1200, so knowing what i know of the antiques business he would have had a resale value in mind of something in the vicinity of at least double that (probably more) and more than likely knew that it would be a quick resale.

My body.. one of a kind

But i don't think you want photo's...

i know how you feel mate, you too can have a body like mine after years of sheer abuse and total neglect:cool:

the other rare thing i have is money in my wallet, now days its full of dust, but mainly photos......aaaahhhh the memory of money:lol

I have been collecting Uranium glass for about ten years, most of which is vintage or antique. During that time i have picked up quite a few pieces that are worth a few bob, but its not about money value for me....I just love the stuff!

The name 'Uranium Glass' comes from the use of uranium oxide in the crafting process usually in order to attain a yellow or green colour in the finished product. This uranium content causes the glass to 'fluoresce' when exposed to ultraviolet light (blacklight) causing it to glow like neon.....which just looks frickin awesome when you have a cabinet full of the stuff!:D

The actual uranium content is very low and although it is slightly radioactive it is still less that what is being given off by the computer monitor i am currently parked in front of!

The most valuable piece I currently own is the large yellow vase, but the jury is out on an exact figure as i have taken it to numerous antique shops/collectors/and supposed experts all of which try to tell me a different story....but all do try and buy it off me!

Best unprompted offer i had on it from a dealer was $1200, so knowing what i know of the antiques business he would have had a resale value in mind of something in the vicinity of at least double that (probably more) and more than likely knew that it would be a quick resale.

I picked up a vase made of this glass on the weekend.

a.jpg.0e0b8f82aef3fd1f10786067a343928a.jpgb.jpg.10981e71485ad85977e7b460414b53b4.jpg

My rarest item would have to be a bottle made in Brisbane around 1853. Only one other known to exist.

Edited by steve2000

Custom made, no doubt & solid wood..

Know what the wood is?

Was custom made to order by W. Jones & Son of Ross Street, Glebe some time just after 1870, there are makers marks (labels) in each of the drawers, with each mentioning an award received in 1862 and 1870 for the quality of their work.

It is made of Australian Red Cedar.

I picked up a vase made of this glass on the weekend.

My rarest item would have to be a bottle made in Brisbane around 1853. Only one other known to exist.

Got a pic? I could probably identify its manufacture date and maker for you.... the vase i mean.

Was custom made to order by W. Jones & Son of Ross Street, Glebe some time just after 1870, there are makers marks (labels) in each of the drawers, with each mentioning an award received in 1862 and 1870 for the quality of their work.

It is made of Australian Red Cedar.

Nice work picking it up. The patina is beautiful.

Stuff like that nicely holds its value.

Only a few decent small companies doing work like this now.

I have two items .....

1. Gloves worn by our very own Michael Doohan that he wore when he won his 5th consecutive world championship !!

2. Front page of the Melbourne Truth newspaper dated Saturday October 18, 1930 ... Firstnewspaper ever to advertise Sir Donald Bradman to be paid to play cricket !!

Dunno what I have. I have got a Fitzroy football club flag signed by most of their players from their final season, also a club players book with most of their signatures in it too.

Also have some old warhammer models that are kind of rare