Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Console + Computer Game High Scores

Hmmmm I've read that they are a compact beast when opened..... See how I go...

open the back of the top screen - the strip from the bottom screen that is visible and connects to the top, will have seperate sheets that lie on top of that contact strip. If DK2 is similar to the construction of DK then the LCD depends on that strip contacts being aligned and a lot of opening and closing can shift the contacts. Mine lost all lcd on the top screen, and realigning fixed it.

I know it's a very imprecise description, but I'm not really a hardware guy, I juat like taking things apart when they don't work :)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reckon this thread is driving some game and watch buying for sure :)

Not just G&W, I've had an itchy mouse finger to buy a gameboy tetris and put up a score.

It's a shame it's not original hardware only as that really would drive some console collecting. I understand the reasons for not though, making it more accessible for everybody etc.

Not just G&W, I've had an itchy mouse finger to buy a gameboy tetris and put up a score.

It's a shame it's not original hardware only as that really would drive some console collecting. I understand the reasons for not though, making it more accessible for everybody etc.

Do it :) They go for very cheap $ on fleabay usually with a bundle of games too. I scored 11 cartridges for $25 last week - way-hey! Tetris on the Gameboy has been called one of the best video games of all time - that beautifully composed 8-bit music and green tinted LCD, ah I would have to agree that it's right up there for me too.

This arrived in the post today, never played much of this so need practice. Managed just 686 Game A, but hope to clock it with more practice.

Can't believe what great condition it is in, original battery cover and all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30401[/ATTACH]

My Oil Panic arrived this morning.

Had a game and managed 687 on Game A.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/knight76/Misc%20Stuff/DSC08769a.jpg

No double points on this baby for reaching 300 points, just two dudes at the bottom for a short time and thats it. Also the only game and watch with 4 lives (if you utilise them), and the first dual screen G&W.

Just placed a couple of bids for DK on eBay - any idea what these go for? Currently around $50. The one I've bid on has a broken clip on it which doesn't really worry me that much.

DK was my favorite of all G&W games, parachute was pretty good too but I never owned one.

No idea what my high score on DK was, I know I could clock it without losing a life but that's about all I remember :D

Just placed a couple of bids for DK on eBay - any idea what these go for? Currently around $50. The one I've bid on has a broken clip on it which doesn't really worry me that much.

DK was my favorite of all G&W games, parachute was pretty good too but I never owned one.

No idea what my high score on DK was, I know I could clock it without losing a life but that's about all I remember :D

DK, anywhere up to $100 unboxed depending on condition. Boxed 100+ to whatever depending on condition of box, manual, styrofoam etc.

Edited by knight76

Good to see you joining in the G&W fun :)

DK seems to go for a ballpark $50 in reasonable condition, there always seems to be a fair few available and it seems the big ape is as popular as ever. DK Jr appears to go for a bit more, and fewer out there. I might try and score a Mario Bros next...

Did I read that emulators are acceptable for G&W? At least until I get my hands on an original.

Just got around to downloading one, what has taken me so long to do this :D

Took me a couple of games to remember how to grab the key :lol

dk.jpg.3d0f339685d7b903f320eadb58157b0b.jpg

Oh how the noise of this game used to bug the hell out of the family on the long drives to the beach for holidays :lol

Thanks for the price guides guys. The 2nd bid I put in (after not looking closely the first time) was for one in "excellent" condition. Bid of $50 fell short on that one. I will watch the other one I'm currently winning, if I don't win that then I'll try and put a few more dollars towards the one in better condition.

Did I read that emulators are acceptable for G&W? At least until I get my hands on an original.

Just got around to downloading one, what has taken me so long to do this :D

Took me a couple of games to remember how to grab the key :lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30406[/ATTACH]

Oh how the noise of this game used to bug the hell out of the family on the long drives to the beach for holidays :lol

Thanks for the price guides guys. The 2nd bid I put in (after not looking closely the first time) was for one in "excellent" condition. Bid of $50 fell short on that one. I will watch the other one I'm currently winning, if I don't win that then I'll try and put a few more dollars towards the one in better condition.

I'm not familiar with G&W emulation. What is the name of the one you're using ?

I reckon that emulation for gaming consoles like Atari 2600, Megadrive, Nes, Snes etc OK, but Game and Watch I am thinking of making an

exception that the real article should be used, or separate the genuine and emulated scores... I dunno how best to approach this.

If this thread takes off then I guess we should make a standard for Emulators to be used so everyone's playing on a level playing field. I've never really bothered with Console emulators as being a collector I have the real hardware for my fave systems. If anyone has had experience with console emulators I'd appreciate the input into what are the best/most accurate ones.

Edited by Jed

The sound on DK is a treat, but not so much for others:D

$50 will get you one with usually scratched lid, broken clasp etc, but will play fine... excellent condition as Knight mentioned nearer$100

My Dk Jr cost me $60 but it is in really good nick, seen similar go for $80-$100+

Now everyone stay away from the DK2 auctions cause I want one ;)

I'm not familiar with G&W emulation. What is the name of the one you're using ?

I reckon that emulation for gaming consoles like Atari 2600, Megadrive, Nes, Snes etc OK, but Game and Watch I am thinking of making an

exception that the real article should be used, or separate the genuine and emulated scores... I dunno how best to approach this.

If this thread takes off then I guess we should make a standard for Emulators to be used so everyone's playing on a level playing field. I've never really bothered with Console emulators as being a collector I have the real hardware for my fave systems. If anyone has had experience with console emulators I'd appreciate the input into what are the best/most accurate ones.

This is the emulator I found: http://www.zophar.net/gw/donkey-kong.html

I don't know if this is an "official" type emulation thing like Mame emulation sort of is :unsure Maybe you or Knight could download this and see what you think. It seems pretty much the same to me, but it's also been the best part of 30 years since I played an original G&W version of DK.

As for high scores on emulation, well I guess download it and see what you think. It doesn't worry me either way as I hope to get my hands on a real game at some stage. My early thoughts are that the handheld is easier to play than trying to look at an image on the screen. Either way, for those that don't want to fork out for the game, is a good way to relive your misspent youth :D

The sound on DK is a treat, but not so much for others:D

$50 will get you one with usually scratched lid, broken clasp etc, but will play fine... excellent condition as Knight mentioned nearer$100

My Dk Jr cost me $60 but it is in really good nick, seen similar go for $80-$100+

Now everyone stay away from the DK2 auctions cause I want one ;)

I will pm you tonight Re. DK2.

And i will check out the G&W emulator also. Will be good to play some games I dont have yet.

I have had a look at the DK emulation as above.

I'm afraid the emulation is not accurate and you wouldn't be able to compare scores on original hardware with scores on the emulator.

The main thing I noticed straight away is on keyboard, if you repeatedly push the direction buttons it moves the character instantly. As in, there is no delay between each step as in the original. This mean on the emulated version you could charge from the bottom to the top in half the time it takes to on the original hardware. Probably even faster.

I'm afraid the emulation is not accurate and you wouldn't be able to compare scores on original hardware with scores on the emulator.

The main thing I noticed straight away is on keyboard, if you repeatedly push the direction buttons it moves the character instantly. As in, there is no delay between each step as in the original. This mean on the emulated version you could charge from the bottom to the top in half the time it takes to on the original hardware. Probably even faster.

Thanks for checking it out. Like I said, long time since I played a real G&W. Using the keyboard, I was pressing the key each time, not holding it down. If you play this way, is it similar to the original? EDIT: Scratch that, so you move heaps faster. I get it.

Not too many other games on the site I posted, even if they aren't 100% accurate, I'd still like to have a look at a couple of other games if anyone can find them. Be good to try a couple before parting with any cash :)

My bid for G&W DK and G&W Fire are still good for the moment :)

Surely these games could be produced for under $5 these days, you'd think there would be enough old farts around for Nintendo to make a few bucks with these classics :cool:

Thanks for checking it out. Like I said, long time since I played a real G&W. Using the keyboard, I was pressing the key each time, not holding it down. If you play this way, is it similar to the original? EDIT: Scratch that, so you move heaps faster. I get it.

Not too many other games on the site I posted, even if they aren't 100% accurate, I'd still like to have a look at a couple of other games if anyone can find them. Be good to try a couple before parting with any cash :)

My bid for G&W DK and G&W Fire are still good for the moment :)

Surely these games could be produced for under $5 these days, you'd think there would be enough old farts around for Nintendo to make a few bucks with these classics :cool:

Here is a site with a lot of emulators: http://www.handheld.remakes.org/results.php?gamename=

Also, I think even if there were China made copies around, there would be a lot of brand loyalty to the original G&W as that is what people remember playing, have that emotional connection to.

Here is a site with a lot of emulators: http://www.handheld.remakes.org/results.php?gamename=

Also, I think even if there were China made copies around, there would be a lot of brand loyalty to the original G&W as that is what people remember playing, have that emotional connection to.

Thanks for the link :cool: I downloaded some other games as part of a 34Mb download, played a couple and will have to mess around getting others to work. Octopus wasn't a bad game, but I sucked at it as I do with the emulator :lol Still not the same as playing the real thing though :D

Just bought myself DK on eBay. Went for $77 Inc Postage. The one in excellent condition (and it looks like very good cond. from the photos) is currently at $132 Inc Postage.

Wish I had have kept all my old games, I think I sold them when I was a kid to spend the money on games from my CPC464 from memory :(

Anyway, hopefully it will be in my hot little hands by next weekend and I can give Jamma & Knight a run for their money :D

Xbox 360

Pacman CE

Championship Mode 5'00"

100_0079.JPG.c84d8976e6b1b5e52504863a6d2cdb13.JPG

Extra Mode 2 10'00"

100_0082.JPG.2496b8d46846fc6e0a05fa1928e2b023.JPG

I know I can do better than this... Let's get a challenge going Xbox'ers :)

p.s. Jamma, is it okay to post more than one score per post or do you want them separate?

100_0080.JPG.df0b6ecab851e59eebc1ec90753ff61f.JPG

Edited by John73

Xbox 360

Pacman CE

Championship Mode 5'00"

Extra Mode 2 10'00"

I know I can do better than this... Let's get a challenge going Xbox'ers :)

p.s. Jamma, is it okay to post more than one score per post or do you want them separate?

Multiple scores in one message no worries.

I wish I could play Pacman CE on my 360 - but mine is nobbled for xbox live (cough cough) reckon I might 'go legit' soon, some of the best things on 360 are XBLA.

I don't have many Xbox games, and really don't play the Xbox much at all.... but Pacman CE is by far and away the most played game I have :lol

Speedball 2 was available at some stage for XBLA, but I wasn't fast enough to buy it :cry

Yep, even the DK on the G&W collection for the DS doesn't compare at all to the real thing. None of the emulations for G&W come close to what they play like in real life. They shouldn't be allowed in my opinion.

I got myself a DK2 recently (along with a couple more Bandai ones) which I've been playing on the toilet. :D It's up there in terms of difficulty with Spitball sparky I reckon. When I get the time I will redo all my scores Knight - I'm coming for ya buddy! ;)

Yep, even the DK on the G&W collection for the DS doesn't compare at all to the real thing. None of the emulations for G&W come close to what they play like in real life. They shouldn't be allowed in my opinion.

Maybe when I get my DK (seller hasn't replied yet :huh:) and have a play, I might give writing an emulator a bit of a go during my Xmas break. Seems odd that these people making the emulators don't at least try to make them like the original :confused: I'm guessing that chip readers for what's inside the G&W games is either not available, or are way to expensive. Besides which, I guess cracking in and grabbing Nintendo code is not a very good idea, they are pretty litigious when it comes to their intellectual property - even if it's 30 years old :laugh:

Xbox

Pacman CE

Extra Mode 3 10'00"

100_0084.JPG.8a1f3b8c26cb6872bca97e40db8b65d1.JPG

That's it for me & pacman for today. This score is only about 20K shot of the TG world record, might have to grab a tripod and a better camera and try taping some games over Xmas. Don't know if they have high scores for this mode on XBLA, but I'm guessing the top score is well higher than the TG record.