Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Xbox One Mod chip

Hey Mickey,

i have seen these external network adapters to convert non-wireless devices to wireless. Used for XBOX1 etc.

I have had a hunt but cannot see any. i am sure they have the on eBay.

I will post up a link if I find something.

Found a link. something like this will do the trick

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-4GHz-Wireless-Gaming-Adapter-Suitable-XBOX-P2-/270693412790?pt=AU_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item3f0695afb6

Edited by mamejay
Found the link

Well then,

Why don't you post up a link to a "better one" then if you think you can find one?

I am just trying to help another member. Pointing him in the right direction and letting him know there is another option than using a laptop.

Why did you not suggest this before I posted?

Are you just waiting in the background to add your negative spin to anyone's posts??

• 3 weeks later...

It's a Unix system! I know thi... *ahem*

Yes, router as bridge is the way to go. Just went through all this again yesterday after my modem fried itself. Here's what you do:

• Grab yourself a wireless router than can be flashed with DD-WRT (check their site for a list of compatible hardware - I got a Linksys WRT54G), then flash it. It's really, really easy.
  • Grab yourself a laptop. Disable wireless.
  • Open the TCP/IP properties for your laptop's ethernet and give it a manual IP 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1
  • Plug in the router and connect it to your laptop with a cable
  • Browse to 192.168.1.1 and log in (root / admin)
  • Setup > Basic > change router IP to 192.168.1.100, default gateway to 192.168.1.1 (assuming this is the IP for your modem), disable DHCP server, save settings
  • Browse to 192.168.1.100, log in
  • Setup > Wireless > set mode to 'Client Bridge'
  • Setup > Wireless > Security and match the settings of your modem
  • Status > Wireless > scroll way down > Site Survey > click to join your wireless network
  • Save all your settings, checking they're still as above (I've noticed sometimes 'Client Bridge' changes to 'Client' for some reason) - reboot the router
  • Unplug the ethernet cable, change your laptop's TCP/IP settings back to auto, count to ten, plug it back in
  • Open the command prompt and type 'ipconfig'. You should have received an IP in the 192.168.1.x range (eg 192.168.1.3).
  • Crack open your browser and confirm you can surf the net. If all is OK, just unplug the laptop, plug in your Xbox and turn it on.
  • If all isn't OK, start trouble shooting.

Troubleshooting

• Fire up your laptop's wireless and confirm you can connect to the modem. For some reason people like to take this opportunity to change their wireless security settings, but don't reboot their routers. Hell, just reboot the router and the modem anyway and try again.

• Triple check that your wireless security settings match.

• Check that you changed your laptop ethernet back to auto.

• Check that you changed the router's IP to something different to, but in the same range as, your modem, and that the gateway is your modem's IP

• What's that? It's not working, and your ethernet connection has a weird IP and you can't connect to the router anymore to check its settings? Don't panic - go into the TCP/IP settings for your laptop ethernet again, and change them to 192.168.1.x as above. Wait a sec for the change to take effect and you'll be able to connect to the router again (you need to be on the same 192.168.1.x subnet!)

It looks like a lot, but it's really just 'Control Panel > manual IP > 192.16.1.1 > change a few settings > save, save, save > back to auto IP > all good.

• 10 years later...