Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

best war movie?

best war movie?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. best war movie?

• Apocalypse Now
    • Deer Hunter
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Rambo 1, 2 or 3
    • Platoon
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • Black Hawk Down
    • Something else

• Super Moderator

I liked the new midway movie. When you realise how important midway was to the result in ww2 it gives it more punch. Japs had a bit of bad luck and the yanks were desperate after pearl harbour. critics didn’t seem to like it but I rate it...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple not mentioned but I would recommend....

Das Boat

Danger Close

Bomber Harris

Hacksaw Ridge

Operation Crossbow

Love a good war movie. Not many I don't have on a hard drive somewhere. Wasn't wrapped with 1918. Hoping the new Midway is better. Haven't ripped it yet.;)

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure about absolute favourite, I have a bias towards WWll. The twin movies Letters From Iwa Jima and Flags of Our Father's would have to be in contention. I like some poignancy in war movies so some that are hard to beat are

Ancient Greece: 300

Boer War: Breaker Morant.

WWl: Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick directs Kirk Douglas. Check it out)

WWll: Dunkirk

Vietnam War: The Quiet American (not quite a war movie but is leading up to it) The Deer Hunter and Platoon.

ooh! Perhaps my favourite is The Great Escape. Not so much poignant as just a ripping yarn (that turns out to be based on a true story. I didn't know that when I saw it first)

​​​​​​

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators
also breaker morant.................SNIP

I am just reading George Witton's book "Scapegoat of the Empire". Apparently that absolutely classic line " We shot them under rule 3-0-3" was an actual quote from Harry Morant during his court martial. Whitton was court martialed as part of the same proceedings but was gaoled rather than shot for his part in the civilian killings.

For those who never got it, the rifle issued to many British and Empire troops was a Lee Enfield .303 calibre carbine rifle.

0.303 refers to the rifles bore (projectile diameter) of 0.303" (inches), very close to the 7.62mm rounds used in modern heavy military battle rifles.

I have not got to the part where Morant was executed but I want to hope his last words were "shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" as in the movie. That sort of attitude shows some serious balls in my book.

• Like 2

• Administrators
Has to be ZULU.

I was in Wales last year and I went to the regimental museum of The Royal Welsh in Brecon,. To be honest I was a bit overwhelmed when we saw the colours from Rourkes Drift in person. They also had a special display of all of the genuine Victoria Crosses that the regiment owns in a single display case. Most times all you see are the replicas. Very sobering.

Edited by furballx
  • Like 2

Twelve Oclock High, great WW2 US bomber movie.

Where Eagles Dare.

The Longest Day

Patton

Sink The Bismarck

Bomber Harris

Operation Crossbow

I've downloaded hundreds of War Movies because surprisingly, the wife and I both like them but these are the ones I can watch over and over.

• 3 months later...