Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Egret 2 or similar- ideas?

Looking at getting a new cabinet now..

Benn looking at soemthing like the Egret 2, or Astro city, but i don't want to waste my money and be disappointed in the long run.

Can anyone give me ideas as to what to get, and what to watch out for?

I'm mainly going to be running Mame in it, but having a fully working proper game cabinet would be nice.

Can they both be hooked up at the same time? Or would i need to unhook one, and plug the other in for it to work?

I'm also thinking of running Street fighter 4 on the pc in the cab, good idea or crap?

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few points:

I grabbed an Astro a few months back, but had to go interstate to get it. I tried all the bigger ops I could track down (Amusement Worx, Top Gun, Dickeson's, SA Leisure) and had no luck at all. If you want to do a pickup job, you'll struggle to get an Astro or an Egret II. Candy cabs aren't too common in Australia, and the only ones I've seen have been located along the East Coast. They crop up occasionally on eBay though. Check the other thread currently running on Egret 2s/Astros/Blast City cabs for some ideas on how I snapped up mine.

As for it being the best option, depends - other on this forum will argue that the Japanese candy cabs loose something that the traditional MDF units give to the arcade experience, and they'd be right - if I had the room/cash, I'd probably look at adding another cab in this mould, but I wanted a candy because I like the Japanese hardware and wanted the convenience of an easily rotatable screen.

With running MAME, shouldn't be a problem as long as the PC/chassis will talk to each other, though it'll probably be a tight fit if you put the PC case inside the cab. I've seen other people use it as a MAME cab though, so you should be fine. Hell, if you can squeeze a PC into a cocktail cab, there should be no probs putting one in an Astro :) Besides, there's plenty of room where you could squeeze something behind the rhs of the cab, seems to be a reasonable amount of space behind the coin mech doors/compartments.

As for SF4, not sure if it's be worth it since you'll be restricted to a 640 x 480 resolution, and that's only if you have a 31k chassis (which Astros and Egret 2's don't have by default, and there's no guarantee you'll have even a dual-res chassis in there despite it being the standard issue - my chassis was a 15k bootleg chassis which I've since replaced [thanks Jomac!]).

Hopefully that helps - post away if you need more help.

Edit: There's one up on eBay (click here). Not sure how high it'll go, but might be worth keeping an eye on. I spent about... $150-ish to ship my Astro from Melbourne to Adelaide, see the freight sticky on one of the other forums for details on organising that side of things.

I would actually prefer a full upright, but they seem to be hard to find...

That's why i was looking at these candy cabs..

this one looks interesting..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-SITDOWN-JAMMA-ARCADE-MACHINE-1000-GAMES_W0QQitemZ360166161915QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item53db937dfb&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

Or maybe one of GameDudes ones.. the LS Sound.

But until i see/try one i don't really know :)

Anyone got one of these 1000in1 cabinets?

do you rotate the screen for verticle games?

Thanks for input.

PS the first ebay one you posted doesn't have a rotatable screen according to them..

I would actually prefer a full upright, but they seem to be hard to find...

That's why i was looking at these candy cabs..

this one looks interesting..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-SITDOWN-JAMMA-ARCADE-MACHINE-1000-GAMES_W0QQitemZ360166161915QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item53db937dfb&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

Or maybe one of GameDudes ones.. the LS Sound.

But until i see/try one i don't really know :)

Anyone got one of these 1000in1 cabinets?

do you rotate the screen for verticle games?

Thanks for input.

PS the first ebay one you posted doesn't have a rotatable screen according to them..

Don't buy the cab in that link without first seeing them....they are very plasticy....toy like. If that maes sense, and for that money you should be able to get an astro easily...

I also just read on byoac that all the 48in1, 60in1, 1000in1 PCB's are actually just emulating the games?

So i might as well just use a pc and Mame mightn't i?

I realise it may be easier to just plug the pre-made one in, but according to that site, they arn't very reliable.

Yeah i'd prolly prefer an Astro, but it depends on what's available..

I'm cashed up ready to buy right now, and am now without a machine...

The Sammy Atomiswave cabinet might be another option for you, but they don't have a monitor rotation mech in them like the Egret II's. Apart from that, they are basically an Engret II just labelled as an Atomiswave.

http://www.btinternet.com/~englishdisease/atomiswave_sd.JPG

With a 31k chassis and a flat screen....i have one of those SD cabs...i love it like its my child....not many of those around for sale in oz. Just as much of a pain in the ass to rotate the screen as any other cab though...bar the Egret II

That's a nice cab, especially if a 15k/31k chassis can be fitted. Not as low as an Astro, but it depends - do you want to stand or sit while playing games on your cab? I wouldn't mind grabbing another cab to stand while gaming TBH, as I like both :D

I'd actually prefer to stand, but finding a nice looking full upright is proving difficult.

I'm not so sure i like those SuperStar ones...but i guess i might be able to enclose the sides/front so it looks a little more normal..

otherwise i might just settle for a candy cab.

I've sent 3 emails to Zax and haven't had a reply yet..

hey sledge have you tried calling some people out of the trading post? i would give some of the repair guys/sellers in the trading post, dicksons, amusement worx. if they dont have anything ask if they know anyone who does.

thats how i got my working cab in adelaide.

the other thing is if you see a cab in a fish and chip shop or what not have a close look cos sometimes people put thier details on the cab "blah blahs amusements" give em a email or call and ask em.

you never know you might get lucky and that way you dont have to get one from interstate.

if all else fails go to the auction that amusement worx are having

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=24995&highlight=auction

Really depends on if u wanna buy new or not. The candy cabs that Gamedude sells i think are great for the price and they are new, so hopefully it just plug and play with minimal fuss.

I wouldn't mind the upright naomi rip off he was selling... doesn't look so bad...

I'd actually prefer to stand, but finding a nice looking full upright is proving difficult.

I'm not so sure i like those SuperStar ones...but i guess i might be able to enclose the sides/front so it looks a little more normal..

otherwise i might just settle for a candy cab.

I've sent 3 emails to Zax and haven't had a reply yet..

I'd suggest calling instead (and that goes as a general rule with ops) -- I've had relatively slack email responses form most I've contacted, and found that calling got a much faster response. Plus it means you can discuss alternatives and what-not.

@ostybeef: Had no idea AW had an auction coming up... might drop by for the day, am going to e-mail Simon to get some details about what will be on offer and see if it's worthwhile heading over to it (providing I haven't already organised something with my wife for that day - don't think she'd be too impressed being ditched for an arcade auction!!).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-2009-MODEL-SUPER-STORM-JAMMA-ARCADE-MACHINE_W0QQitemZ260445750769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item3ca3c6c5f1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Would this be another of the crappy cheap plastic ones?

I'm thinking maybe i should get the Super star from gamedude, and work out some way to enclose it a bit more so it looks more traditional...

I do have a namco exceleena 2 if your interested simular to http://arcadegames.tv/exceleena2.html sanwa buttons and sticks and screen is good. Cosmetically it isnt the greatest looking cab but everything works perfectly so i cant complain about them. I have 2 just dont get time to use them any more so I should really gt rid of 1. If ur interested in something local give me a yell i guess.

I do have a namco exceleena 2 if your interested simular to http://arcadegames.tv/exceleena2.html sanwa buttons and sticks and screen is good. Cosmetically it isnt the greatest looking cab but everything works perfectly so i cant complain about them. I have 2 just dont get time to use them any more so I should really gt rid of 1. If ur interested in something local give me a yell i guess.

pm sent !

You are seriously better off buying a genuine 2nd hand Japanese brand candy cab than a shiney brand new chinese knock off.

They are cheaply made, and the internal wiring is atrocious.

Sure they look great at first, that's the idea. But six months down the road

you'll probably start modding it with a new panel and controls for one.

Poor finish , powersupply and monitor too. I've heard so many stories.

But finding the Japanese ones is difficult...

Certainly is - all I can say is hang in there! I'm sure something will crop up, it just takes time. If you're curious, I can always check in with the guy I bought my Astro off to see if he has another available? You'll have to nab it from interstate still, but I grabbed for a reasonable price. Pity you and I weren't posting here earlier in the year/late last year, as Arcade King was saying to me previously that he got rid of two Astro's for about the $650 mark or something! Good score for whoever picked them up, and it helps that he's a top bloke as well.