Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Indiana Jones POA issue

Plong

Question

This is doing my head in. Sometimes the motor goes Sometimes it doesn't.  When it does the optos don't  stop the POA motor and return it to the ctr it goes past an opto then returns to it but not past it to the ctr. Optos are working fine in test mode. Motor is fine have tested with a 9 volt battery. Have replaced the 10 opto board. Motor is not running in test mode or game start up at the moment but may work anytime. Tried a new bridge driver board same result motor went sometimes. Have 12 volts at motor board. Have tested Q30 and Q34 on driver board. Cleaned flipper optos .  Any help would be great

13 answers to this question

• Administrators

Biggest problem I find with the POA are leaking caps on the Bridge Driver PCB and Bad Optos (the U shaped ones)

The 10 opto board has nothing to do with the bridge other than the opto's for the holes which won't stop it from working.

Those U opto's are wired directly to the CPU board row 4 and 5 and column 9 on the 8 Driver PCB.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.9f8d16705d7e4a643a0c0a20e673aa93.jpg

• Like 1

I replaced the cap on the bridge driver board and motor is working (thanks Arcade King ). On start up motor rotates clockwise and stops in the opto and stays there . I then go into test mode remove the motor realign the arm in the ctr of the optos and refit the motor. I press the red button to make the motor rotate anti clockwise but nothing happens. I press the other red button and it rotates clockwise but once again stops at the opto. Any ideas again ? 

Update. Checked the wires from power board to the bridge driver and the blue and black had lost connectivity.  So now we have it working correctly in test mode and start up if the machine has not been turned off for to long. Just turned it on this morning the arm that actuates the optos swung down to almost vertical then back upto the opto. Adjusted again to ctr of optos tested In test mode works spot on. Turned machine off then back on works perfect on start up. What am I missing? 

Ok I have replaced the small opto board in the vid . With the shaft and arm set correctly inbetween the optos .The first video shows that it functions correctly on start up and works faultless in game play when machine has been turned off for a short period of time Lets say an hour.. The second video shows what it does when its been off for a few hours (overnight). Cannot figure this out This is really doing my head in.

On 21/03/2023 at 12:43 PM, Gemini2544 said:

Maybe this is a Power/Driver board issue Paul. Has the 25v 15,000uf caps all been changed yet? if not their 30 years old now, you might be getting ac/dc ripple causing CPU problems.

Will try the driver board out of Judge Dredd . An update . I refitted the mini playfield played a few games while it was warm. Played faultlessly.  Turned it on today and it went down past the bottom opto then back up past both optos and got stuck in this position. 

16795419153668105649439550049840.jpg

How good is the motor?. We only had one IJ and it's mini playfield motor failed in under 2 years. The symptom was it reliably spun in one direction but would not reliably spin the other direction.........the brushes were worn out. Put a new motor in and never had a problem again.

Was not real easy to diagnose as it would work fine most of the time.......(when your testing it on site).........but the following day, mini playfield stopped in the same position it would always fail in.

I also had issues with my motor.  When I bought my Indy someone had previously replaced the original motor with a third-party hobby motor and some kind of custom board modifications to help with the timing.  It worked for a while but I always found it would often start smashing into the RHS ramp and go out of limit then fail.

I also experienced strange things like putting it in test mode was usually fine, during gameplay it would fail.

I tried many solutions, replaced opto boards for the armature limits, replaced the PoA motor pcb, had my boards serviced etc etc but nothing worked.  Buying a replacement motor assembly (yes expensive) fixed and it's been gold ever since.  I think the way the POA was engineered with the software it is very reliant on timing as well as the use of the optos to detect limits.  If your motor stutters in certain directions or is too fast then it can be a real pain in the a$$. 

I think my thread is still on here somewhere describing my problem.

Edited by cejay

Ok Doug tried the power driver board out of my Judge Dredd. Bearing in mind it's the same age board as original. Still the same issue. Turn it on after being off for a while, poa goes to far anti clockwise then to far clockwise and stops. Turn it off then turn it back on the poa rectifies itself and you can play the game no problem. Not sure if this debunks your ideas Autosteve and Cejay See video

Well, if it's not power supply related, not the optos, not wiring or plug issues, I guess as Steve suggested it must be a motor fault. Their really isn't anything else left to test.

When I had my I.J, I did have a similar issue which turned out to be the Grub screw on the motor shaft was not holding tight enough and was slipping. I doubt this is your problem but worth checking.