Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Need help with monitor on old LAI cabinet bought today

snippy

Question

Gday All,

Bought this wonderboy LAI cabinet today. The wonderboy in it is a bootleg like a lot of others around. After spending time cleaning it and working through issues, i noted that the 12v/5v transformer was cooked and not outputting right voltages. I pulled that out and put in a spare one I had, checked voltages and the game started making noises. After reseating the board and cleaning connectors and so on I got the game to play blind, all the sounds and music seemed right.

I've spent a bit of time cleaning the cabinet, it's come up pretty good.

Onto the monitor now. I can't get it to do anything at all. I've checked the transformer is throwing 110 volts into the monitor chassis, but there's no neck glow that I can see and no sign of any life on the screen. The chassis isn't making any noise at all. I'd love to get it running. To me, someone inexperienced in repairing chassis, it doesn't look like there's anything obviously wrong with it.

@Jomac hoping you might do a chassis for this screen ? It's a mitsubishi "510UKB22"

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer.

Cheers,

Snip.

20230305_052105773_iOS.JPEG

20230305_052112853_iOS.JPEG

20230305_061800600_iOS.JPEG

20230305_063443557_iOS (2).jpg

20230305_085141635_iOS (2).jpg

Tube.jpg

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

That is an early 3 piece Kaga Denshi chassis, the flyback is dead and there is no replacement so that chassis is history.

It's a 12 pin high impedance tube and if chassis were still available I could sell at least 10 a week, when they were available we sold just under 4000 of them over 15 years and it seemed it didn't even touch the surface, I get more inquiries now than I did when they were available.

LAI also had a huge demand for them back 30 years ago when those 3 piece Kaga chassis were already failing at a high rate so they contracted SeeJoo Corp in Korea to make the first Orion chassis, they sold an incredible 22,000 of them, they then had it modified and sold with a tube as a complete monitor which were standard in most of their 20" lowboys which they sold over 115,000 of throughout Australia.
At the same time as LAI had the replacement Orion chassis made, Kaga Denshi merged with it's sister company Nanao and they also made a complete 12 pin tube / chassis combination, unfortunately not a separate chassis but all the same it was directly compatible with the 3 piece Kaga tube, it was a Kaga / Nanao KZ-20EN almost exclusively for the Australian market, They made a second model for the rest of the world at the same time but used a different tube, this time a 10 pin tube, it was known as the KZ-20ES and also distributed by Sega called  a MC-2000S. , this was later replaced with this time the first fully Nanao branded MS7-20L.

Now so many of the replacement chassis ( Orion and Kaga/Nanao ) are past their use by date, an incredible amount of them are just plain corroded beyond repair, plenty have been totally butchered with dodgy repairs and even more thrown around peoples sheds and garages like old tractor parts and totally destroyed.

Anyway what you are looking for is an Orion 20" chassis or Kaga KZ-20EN , either will work perfectly on your tube, finding good working or serviceable ones has become a real challenge.

• Like 7

@Jomac Argh bummer but thanks so much for the response. Looks Iike I’ve got some searching to do. This might sound stupid but back in 2012/13 I got a universal chassis from you for my old ghostmuncher/uniwars LAI cocktail machine. I think it had 12 pins, any chance that would work ? It’s probably not been turned on more than 5 times. I’ll send through some pics of it shortly.

@Gemini2544 Thanks mate, ill keep that in mind. If 12 pin are toast I’m not sure that I want another one but if you do want to sell it flick me a private message with what you’re thinking price wise.

Sorry for the crap pics, hopefully it’s enough for you to tell the chassis.

706B231F-455E-4391-9E8C-96D9A58F1CDA.jpeg

C26DB670-61F0-4984-8F2A-AA4EEEF69121.jpeg

342FBA7E-7FC6-46C1-BFA0-D01D416ACA95.jpeg

• Like 1

Mines a Low Impedance 12 pin & NOT a 12 pin HIGH impedance. Big difference. Mine came out of an original Hankin 20" table so, it's the real thing,and fully serviceable, ask joey at Jomac.

Edited by Gemini2544
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemini2544 said:

Mines a Low Impedance 12 pin & NOT a 12 pin HIGH impedance. Big difference. Mine came out of an original Hankin 20" table so, it's the real thing,and fully serviceable, ask joey at Jomac.

Ah sorry mate I don’t know much about arcade crts. Have just done basic chassis swaps when they’ve died on me or rotated the screens, that’s about it. Flick me a message what you’re thinking price wise if you decide you want to sell it.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2023 at 2:22 PM, snippy said:

@Jomac Argh bummer but thanks so much for the response. Looks Iike I’ve got some searching to do. This might sound stupid but back in 2012/13 I got a universal chassis from you for my old ghostmuncher/uniwars LAI cocktail machine. I think it had 12 pins, any chance that would work ? It’s probably not been turned on more than 5 times. I’ll send through some pics of it shortly.

Sorry for the crap pics, hopefully it’s enough for you to tell the chassis.

No more pics necessary that is exactly the chassis you need.

That response posted strange.

No more pics necessary that is exactly the chassis you need, that's one of nearly 4000 that I supplied.

• Like 1

For anyone following I came across a few  old screens locally including suitable nanao chassis.

These have been packed up and sent over to @Jomac.

I also raided the cocktail machine I had with the Jomac universal chassis - this allowed me to get the screen going until the repaired chassis make it back.I wish those were still available - cry.

• Like 1

Hello,

Having looked through the post thought this a good place to ask a question if I may.  I picked up a sit down that had a replacement LCD.  Its  4:3 and looks quite good, but would prefer a CRT.  It came with the chassis and the original CRT, Mitsubishi 510UKB22 - the previous owner advising that it had a faulty flyback transformer.  It has the same chassis from the looks of it as the one in the post https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/102329-amusement-enterprise-lowboy/ , by @NateDizzle which I am thinking is a Kaga KZ-20EN?

I take it that these are pretty hard to find but it just so happens that there is an arcade machine chassis on ebay at the moment and wonder if this would be suitable? ebay arcade machine chassis  The seller advises:

"Arcade Machine Chassis. Tube blew up so went lcd screen Could be good for parts or service and re-use was working fine before tube packed it in""

What are the chances it 'blew up' due to the flyback?  I have sent a request through the Jomac website but in case he is busy wanted to ask this before the auction ended.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thenuster said:

Hello,

Having looked through the post thought this a good place to ask a question if I may.  I picked up a sit down that had a replacement LCD.  Its  4:3 and looks quite good, but would prefer a CRT.  It came with the chassis and the original CRT, Mitsubishi 510UKB22 - the previous owner advising that it had a faulty flyback transformer.  It has the same chassis from the looks of it as the one in the post https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/102329-amusement-enterprise-lowboy/ , by @NateDizzle which I am thinking is a Kaga KZ-20EN?

I take it that these are pretty hard to find but it just so happens that there is an arcade machine chassis on ebay at the moment and wonder if this would be suitable? ebay arcade machine chassis  The seller advises:

"Arcade Machine Chassis. Tube blew up so went lcd screen Could be good for parts or service and re-use was working fine before tube packed it in""

What are the chances it 'blew up' due to the flyback?  I have sent a request through the Jomac website but in case he is busy wanted to ask this before the auction ended.

Cheers

Hi Mate,

Yeah mine is a 3 piece with Mitsubishi tube. It powers on and works (for now) but I honestly have not heard anything good about this Chassis family.

As Jomac mentions above, anything that could drive this tube is either bogus, bound to fail, or impossible to find.

This is just my personal opinion... but if it were me, I'd either pick up a couple of CRT TVs off Gumtree/Facebook and attempt an RGB hack on the "jungle" chip, using the original TV chassis. OR spend some time on arcade forums and try to source a whole different tube and chassis combo the same size.

Best of luck!

20231018_224425.jpg

Edited by NateDizzle
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Thenuster said:

Just my opinion which isn't worth much other than a hobbyist who's been fiddling with this gear on and off for a while - all monitor issues I've had Jomac has been able to quickly advise or answer. This wonderboy cabinet was abit harder because the flyback I needed just aren't available anymore, and a universal chassis that matched the tube isn't either - keep that in mind when buying second hand blown things. The CRT issues i've had that were referred to as "blown up" or similar all related to flyback. 

I do fully support your desire to get a CRT though, might be a bit of a mission but will be worth it.

• Like 1

Hi, just in case it helps, on the 60 in 1 make sure the dip switch is set to 15kHz otherwise the image will be too small and double up on screen.

60in1DIPsw.JPG.fafeb2b376702eba75a4266242db2518.JPG

I use one of those PCBs as a signal source for testing monitor chassis and the image size should normally work out OK. Regards, John

hq7.jpg.ab36e202a42048456f895fd428a5d32e.jpg hq8.jpg.aa20b91c064d72f96dc1b53a0ecf296c.jpg

• Like 1