Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Monitor help please

A bit of guidance needed please.

On my desktop computer the monitor after about 45 - 60 minutes goes black and turns itself off.

The monitor power indicator light is blank and no amount of turning the switch off / on will get it re-activated.

As you can guess the only way I can turn the computer off is to "force" it by holding in the start button. Not recommended I know but no other choice that I know of.

The only way I can get the monitor working again is to let the whole system sit for 5 minutes then remove the 240V supply plug from the back of the monitor, count to 10 (lol) and reconnect it with 240V still on. Again, probably not recommended - but??.

Funny thing is though by doing it that way the display comes back up with the background picture and icons in some sort of failsafe mode. I then have to do a re-start which brings everything back to normal but only for the next 30 -60 minutes until it all happens again.

I've replaced the 240V supply cable. Made no difference.

Another thing is if I shut down the computer normally while its all still ok and let the monitor go into standby mode as its no longer getting a signal it'll be fine for the next start up.

PSU was replaced a year ago.

Thinking I need a new monitor but any thoughts welcome please.

Edited by Railways

• Administrators

Hi Jeff, definitely sounds like your monitor needs to be replaced. Easy test is to plug another in and see if it continues. If you don't have another sitting around also try outputting to your TV as a test.

Fortunately monitors are relatively cheap these days.

I mean it "could" be your graphics card but doubt it

Cheers,

Brad

• Thanks 1

Sounds like an ic is failing/over heating. You can buy new driver boards and replace it if it's a fantastic monitor, but that might not be the issue. Also, next time in windows go power settings > change power button to shutdown computer. Then press once and it'll trigger a shutdown until you get a new monitor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, redferatu said:

Sounds like an ic is failing/over heating. You can buy new driver boards and replace it if it's a fantastic monitor, but that might not be the issue. Also, next time in windows go power settings > change power button to shutdown computer. Then press once and it'll trigger a shutdown until you get a new monitor.

Thats the pain of monitors.....mainly LCD. Its usually a component but you need the knowledge and skills to fix. Since LCD's are so cheap now its generally better to buy new. I don't like it preferring to maintain but in this case I'd go new.

Brad

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Brad said:

Thats the pain of monitors.....mainly LCD. Its usually a component but you need the knowledge and skills to fix. Since LCD's are so cheap now its generally better to buy new. I don't like it preferring to maintain but in this case I'd go new.

Brad

If it is a high end colour correct monitor I would try and fix it. If it is a standard 5 year old thing, yeah, probably easier to replace.

• Thanks 1

It's a Benq 21 &1/2" LCD and the label on the back says manufactured in May 2010 so I suppose its had a good run.

Many thanks for the guidance guys and it looks like I'm off to buy a new monitor. Luckily I've got a Hardly Normal gift card for Xmas.

I'll report back after the new monitor has run awhile. 

• Like 1

I'd be trying a new cable be it HDMI or VGA. I find HDMI cables fail more than VGA which probably has to do with the pin 19 "Hotplug" connection. This connection needs to receive or send a 5vDC signal a couple of times a second to maintain the connection between the source and the monitor.

This is the circuit that causes problems when running long HDMI cables through voltage drop but the voltage can drop over time.

Working on RPIs taught me just how important this circuit is as they have multiple adjustments on RPis all related to this "hotplug" connection unseen on normal HDMI devices. You can boost the voltage but you can also force this signal or turn it completely off replacing it with a synthetic signal.

That's the cable but you may have heat problems in the monitor. This could be highly likely as it is now summer. The heat created inside the monitor power supply needs to be dissipated and relies solely on the row of vents at the top and bottom of the monitor. Dust seems to have little trouble getting through the lower vents but can get caught exiting through the upper vents.

These upper vents slowly blocking with dust prevents the hot air inside to escape and the power supply starts to shut down through overheating.

Quite amazing the amount of flat panel monitors I bring back to life simply cleaning these vents.

You can remove the back cover of the monitor and manually clean these vents but a blower/ vac seems to clean them just as good. 

Good luck Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it looks we have had a win. @Brad , @redferatu , @Autosteve Many thanks for the help and guidance. AA in action right here folks. 

Bought a new HP monitor from Hardly Normals using my gift card and only ended up paying about $125.

Running it through VGA cable as was the previous monitor and yes my eyes don't feel like they are fatigued. Its a helluva light lighter as well. Had to ask the sales guy was there anything in the box.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1