Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLLIV - Game 9 ~ Phoenix (closes Jan-15)

Birds ...

MGLLIV - Game 9 ~ Phoenix

Nominated by gamer: Lauren Tyler

ROMSet 0.183: Phoenix (Amstar, set 1)

1430916518_Screenshot(15).thumb.png.c83a34574124838c97d554395f461fe0.png

Game story:

The Phoenix armada is about to invade Earth. Before they reach the atmosphere, you must pilot a ship and defeat each of their different attack waves and turn them away from Earth. The first two waves are the scouts, the second two waves are the soldiers, and the final wave is the mothership. Get past the scouts and the soldiers to earn the chance to destroy the mothership and rescue mankind.

Score Submissions:

Please start a new post for each score you submit, with your score as the first line and a screen shot of your score and initials. This game will end at 10a.m United Kingdom time on Sunday, 15th January, 2023.

Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No auto fire allowed. No stitching of INP files with save states, No cheats allowed. **The 200k bird trick is allowed**

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

GAME 9 - Watch out for the Phoenix ... Last played in MGL43 ...

Phoenix_cpanel.png.f854711fd8ec12632b0a428928c4c401.png

Edited by Evan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wan1993 said:

Do you have to hit 3 birds in the second phase very quickly?

yes quickly but not too quickly, I was only getting it once in a while and it was because I was mashing too rapidly. I slowed it down just a bit with a more consistent rhythm and started getting it most of the time.

make a save state starting on the second screen so you can practice the timing and you'll have it in no time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wan1993 said:

I did the trick but stayed in the same position. lol 😅

0001.png

Some more tips to help you progress further.

I thought a bit more about the trick and how to describe what exactly it is I'm doing to get it consistently. After completing stage 1, I hold the joystick left so I move to the edge of the stage 2 screen without delay. While waiting for the 3 birds to form for the trick you can claim points for the 2 on the end of the formation and 200 points for the single flying bird in front of the 3 coming in for the trick. Now once the 3 birds have formed let them exit the left of the screen and when they return closely watch them and focus on the lowest of the 3 birds. What you are trying to do is to anticipate the moment just as they are about to switch direction back to the left and then let off 3 shots in quick succession. Doing this I am getting it 9 times out of 10

Then on to stages 3 and 4 the large Phoenix birds. Eliminate them birds by shooting them directly in the head/body, shooting in the wings only removes the wings, and shooting both wings only causes the wings to grow back. So you want to be making kill shots first time to reduce what you have to deal with a quickly as possible (Its relatively easy to dodge 2 compared to 4, 5 or more). I'll also try to knock out as many eggs as I can early on, its less points but also more manageable when they change into Phoenix.

You can use a zig zag strategy in the middle of the screen to handle the Phoenix. To dodge bullets you Zig then pause, zag then pause etc etc, all the while making your shots on target for the Phoenix. Use your shield if the Phoenix dive bombs you.

The above strategy works and a skill worth getting down but I recommend moving to the very left edge of the screen as you will make more shots on target and eliminate the Phoenix quicker. You will find life is a lot easier this way.

Stage 5 The Mothership, hold the starting position and start shooting at the belly clearing a tunnel, you will need to side slip the bullets coming down on you until you reach the purple ribbon. Once you have cleared a tunnel to the purple ribbon shift to the the edge of the Mothership and start shooting out the purple ribbon so that you can eventually have a clear shot at the Queen. All the while you will need to be dodging incoming birds and bullets, note not to clear all the birds on the screen and leave at least one, otherwise a whole new formation will appear. You can shoot the queen at any time you have cleared a path but to maximize points (1000's instead of 100's) wait until the Mothership has fully descended and stopped then shoot the queen.

Hope this helps

• Like 1