IGNORED

Last remaining Ridge Racer Full Scale saved in the UK

darkjedi

Only read about this a couple of weeks back, but turns out a group in the UK have successfully saved the bulk of what they think is the last Full Scale RR unit over there. Also good news is that they’re dumping the ROMs to get into MAME, so it’ll be preserved. 

https://arcadeblogger.com/2022/11/20/the-last-ridge-racer/

(as an aside, did anyone ever find out where the Australian FS cabs ended up?)

• Like 8

3 hours ago, darkjedi said:

(as an aside, did anyone ever find out where the Australian FS cabs ended up?)

The last time I saw the MX5 version was in Queensland on the Gold Coast, one of the main arcades on the Gold Coast.

We had the this version of the game....

rr3-min.jpg?w=768

Only 350Kg it claims, I beg to differ. Took 3 of us at one end and two on the other getting it up the stairs at Enfield Bowl. Personally, I liked moving Daytona twins rather than this thing.

• Like 2

I remember playing the one that was in Time Zone Fremantle in the early 90's, from memory it was like $8 a game, which was a lot then seeing that my pay was $100 a week, but I had to have a go (  I think I had 3 goes ), I thought that the car was on a moving platform and that the steering wheel vibrated when you hit the ripple strips but could be wrong, It didn't last long, I think it was taking up too much space in the small Time Zone and because of the price to play it it was not played much, lots of people stood and watched, but not too many players.

• Like 1

Great read. Still strikes me as amazing how many games need to be saved for preservation sake. Prototypes, unique  game versions and of course the hardware is in real danger of being lost to the ages. 

What an awesome outcome.

I had read the thread on UKVAC forums last year at which point everyone had given up hope of the machine being recovered. 

Would still love to know what happened to the one which we had over here. There is some speculation about it in this thread also - 

9 hours ago, ocyen said:

What an awesome outcome.

I had read the thread on UKVAC forums last year at which point everyone had given up hope of the machine being recovered. 

Would still love to know what happened to the one which we had over here. There is some speculation about it in this thread also - 

There was a Ridge Racer full scale PCB stack that was sold locally about 7 years ago from memory. Not sure if it belonged to the Machine on the Gold Coast. 

Edited by Berty