Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Multiple Switch Row Issues - TAF

Ace1942

Question

Howdy,

Pinball noob back on my steep learning curve journey.
My TAF has developed multiple switch issues, I’ve done some research and testing and have a couple of questions And would appreciate some guidance.

The Background

It has had an intermittent ground short row 8 for a little while,

I did a jumper test for this on the CPU with J206 and J208 removed.  Switch edge test, all closed with a beep but with one exception switch88 (not used) closed but didn’t beep, the no beep may not be important but I mention it for completeness.

So from all the sources this tells me it’s a playfield short and not the CPU being faulty. I haven’t tracked down the short and not sure if continued playing in this state could have caused the next set of faults.

A ground short on row 6 along with check switches bookcase opto 1, 2 and 3 (53, 54, 55), Thing up opto (85) and thing limit opto (?)

Switch edge test up with J206 and J208 removed gave the following, so this time the CPU is faulty.

00B75290-6DD8-4CA2-8EED-4B3C4CCA6B82.jpeg.df4130f28dfa8201a9456cca93657cb5.jpeg

Close inspection of the CPU shows acid damage and previous repairs.
At this point I decided replace instead of repair and have a PinSound RocketCPU on its way.

The Questions

I assume logically the new CPU will resolve the second set of faults with row 6 and opto’s 

But is it possible the row 8 ground short could have caused the second set of faults and therefore I risk damage to the new CPU with it still present. I really don’t want to blow up my shiny new expensive board. I do plan on tracking down the row 8 short but may take me some time (remember the learning curve),

so can I run the machine relatively care free until I resolve the short or do I need to proceed with caution.

Is it also recommend to replace all the IDC connectors with the new board being installed.
Or is this only relevant when replacing failed IDC connectors you should replace the header pins on the boards at the same time.

thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

On 16/11/2022 at 10:11 PM, Ace1942 said:

Howdy,

Pinball noob back on my steep learning curve journey.
My TAF has developed multiple switch issues, I’ve done some research and testing and have a couple of questions And would appreciate some guidance.

The Background

It has had an intermittent ground short row 8 for a little while,

I did a jumper test for this on the CPU with J206 and J208 removed.  Switch edge test, all closed with a beep but with one exception switch88 (not used) closed but didn’t beep, the no beep may not be important but I mention it for completeness.

So from all the sources this tells me it’s a playfield short and not the CPU being faulty. I haven’t tracked down the short and not sure if continued playing in this state could have caused the next set of faults.

A ground short on row 6 along with check switches bookcase opto 1, 2 and 3 (53, 54, 55), Thing up opto (85) and thing limit opto (?)

Switch edge test up with J206 and J208 removed gave the following, so this time the CPU is faulty.

00B75290-6DD8-4CA2-8EED-4B3C4CCA6B82.jpeg.df4130f28dfa8201a9456cca93657cb5.jpeg

Close inspection of the CPU shows acid damage and previous repairs.
At this point I decided replace instead of repair and have a PinSound RocketCPU on its way.

The Questions

I assume logically the new CPU will resolve the second set of faults with row 6 and opto’s 

But is it possible the row 8 ground short could have caused the second set of faults and therefore I risk damage to the new CPU with it still present. I really don’t want to blow up my shiny new expensive board. I do plan on tracking down the row 8 short but may take me some time (remember the learning curve),

so can I run the machine relatively care free until I resolve the short or do I need to proceed with caution.

Is it also recommend to replace all the IDC connectors with the new board being installed.
Or is this only relevant when replacing failed IDC connectors you should replace the header pins on the boards at the same time.

thanks in advance

So New CPU installed and working, as expected ground short on row 6 and associated opto errors are now gone. The ground short on row 8 remains, so I’ll need to continue trying to track down the root cause.

317A514B-72C4-4469-8077-470C86E1A435.jpeg.ca23343e53aad021d6e3a1c784325bc8.jpeg

It seems you've narrowed the issue down to the playfield. Time to look at each of the switches on that row and see if the lugs are contacting anything they shouldn't be. 

Edited by ocyen
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ocyen said:

It seems you've narrows the issue down to the playfield. Time to look at each of the switches on that row and see if the lugs are contacting anything they shouldn't be. 

Ive been poking around for a little while prior to the CPU failure but as is intermittent on row8 I perhaps haven't been a dogged as I should have be with it, time to get serious and trace all wires point to point and check switches and diodes. I research some how tos for continuity on switched and diodes, so Ill give that a proper crack and see how I go.

Still curious though,

what is the risk to the CPU with and existing playfield row short. Is it just going to be that the switch row not working or is there a real risk it will cause damage under otherwise normal game play if not fixed in the immediate.

and is it recommended to swap the IDC connectors

Thanks again

A good day today

My TAF is now fully working again, tracked down the Row 8 ground short fault.

First I checked the continuity on the white-grey wire (row8) between each switch in turn and every other switch, no problems there

I then checked each switch was actuating and checked the diode , not problems there.

so I start scratching my head in wonder as everything under the playfield is checking out. Then after a few beers I realised I had not check continuity at the connector. Eureka a dodgy termination, I could get continuity from the switches to the wire at the back of the connector but nothing when probing the front of the connector pin 8.

So I pulled the wire, cleaned out the IDC, and punched down the wire again. I didn't have the correct tool so I had to improvise using an exacto knife with the blade installed in reverse, worked a treat. Dodgy I know but I had a need that needed to be satisfied without delay 😁 (it is only temporary until I can source the correct bits and tools)

now do I go with Pancon IDC or Molex Trifurcon?

just kidding its gonna be Molex,

• Like 4