Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Star Trek Next Generation Cannon Issues

highlander2287

Question

Well I haven't owned another star trek next gen too long before some issues. This is why I dread owning this game as much as it is my favourite, as well as the wife's. The left gun has begun to intermittently stop shooting out the ball during a game. I admit I am still a complete novice at determining and fixing issues. In test mode the kicker will kick each time when tested. When interrupting the opto the gun will turn and 95% of the time the kicker will kick, sometimes it doesn't. Also in test mode when testing the movement of the left gun, sometimes when it returns home, the home switch will remain open.

Any help or advice will be greatly welcomed as usual.

7 answers to this question

The wires that run up to the canons can be an issue, sounds more likely than just the opto in this case. You might be able to track down which specific wire is breaking, otherwise the whole loom may be worth replacing for reliability

https://www.pinball.co.uk/game-specific-parts/star-trek-tng/cannon-looms-for-star-trek-tng-h-17067/

From this previous thread:

Problem: Star Trek Next Generation cannons work intermittently, or upon power on, the cannon(s) continue to rotate and won't stop (this applies to many other games with similar cannons, such as Terminator2, or other similar moving devices like the Trolls on Medieval Madness).

Answer: The constant back and forth movement of the wires leading to the moving device cause an intermittant break in the wires. Usually this break can not be seen, since it is inside the insulation covering the wire strands. Usually the break is at a wire tie or some major angle. Checking the wires using the a DMM continuity setting is helpful, but does not alway work. On Star Trek Next Gen, just replace the cannon wiring loom! (Believe me, they need replaced, it is a high wear part.) They are available from pinballheaven.com/cannon.htm. After replacing the Star Trek cannon wiring loom, check the optics for each cannon in the switch test (the optics tell the game when a ball is loaded in a cannon). If an optic is dead, this can can confuse the game too. Finally, sometimes the cannon plunger becomes magnetic, and will stick in the fired position (and this in turn will block the cannon opto, confusing the game). Replace the plunger to fix this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt answer. I was hoping not to have to get someone in to change the wire loom so soon. The main issue seems to be the kicker not working at all . In left launcher test mode when the gun turns the kicker does not fire. If I  interrupt the opto the gun turns however the kicker is not kicking. In the latest test during game play a ball is kicked up from the playfield into the gun which then turns however the ball is not being fired out and you keep getting the pull trigger message on the display. Does this suggest possibly opto issue?. Is there a particular issue that would only be affecting the kicker not working such as opto or something else. In solenoid test the kicker works each time?

Just to add and hopefully not confuse (as I am) in single switch test when I test the left gun the opto is triggered when I break the beam. I have noticed in the switch test that switch 41 under LLock sw1 (A) is OPEN, Is this correct. Switch 3 and 4 are closed. Under lgun switch 36 is open and under rgun switch is also open. In the book columns 3 and 4 are all greyed out. Does this mean anything in particular. Also when I close the coin door sometimes only the right gun turns. Does all of this mean anything to anyone. There are no issues indicated in test report. These are all basic observations as I have no idea really.

It "seems" to do everything it is supposed to in test mode, opto test, solenoid test, switch test, however once in game mode in either battle simulation or fighting the borg it will not kick the ball out. I've noticed also when in these modes the left cannon seems to make its first turn early without a ball and when it retunrs home a ball is kicked up from the playfield and then it turns again (without firing) It was working fine when I first bought the machine and I haven't changed or added anything.

I know as a pinball owner I should have more knowledge in relation to problem diagnosis and repairs but unfortunately I have just not been able to get a grasp of it. Sorry.

Edited by highlander2287
added text

To check all the optos on Sttng you need to empty all six balls as they sit on optos under the playfield. 
The “pull trigger” is because the machine sees the ball in the opto but because the coil is not firing its not happy. 
You could try a quick test :

Run a long test lead from under the playfield for the coil trigger and connect it to the trigger tab of the coil (essentially bypassing the loom). 
To do this you need to remove the cover from the cannon. 
Test the cannon again with the test lead in place and if the cannon works the you’ve found your problem. 

• Like 1

Well for anyone remotely interested, I haven't got any further with this issue. As mentioned unfortunately I don't have the knowledge or tools to dig deep into this stuff. The latest is that as before when you either play battle simulation or fight the borg the left cannon makes a ghost turn without a ball before returning home and a ball is kicked up from the playfield and then it turns again but won't shoot. (works in all tests opto seems to work and recognises a ball in the cannon). I have noticed that it will now shoot out the ball but only when it has returned to the home position. What would this suggest to you experts out there. Why would it be making a ghost turn without a ball. The balls always get spat out from underneath the playfield.