IGNORED

Some of my 60 in 1 jamma board's controls have broken

Taoplan

Question

Has anybody run into this one with their 60 in 1 jamma board before? As a breakdown...

- My jamma harness is wired correctly and all of the controls work. Can confirm this as my other jamma boards (including originals and a 19 in 1 board that I think has the same circuitry) have no dramas. However, right and down aren't working with the 60 in 1 stick.

- The controls are soldered in place and I've checked for continuity using my multimetre. When I push right and down, a signal is sent to the corresponding pins on the 60 in 1 board (pins 19 and 21 respectively).

- I dunno how the circuit works or what the chips do. However, there's a biiiig network of caps. If I do a continuity test between pins 18 and 20 (up and left respectively) + random pins on the chips above the network of caps then a weak connection is found with some pins. However, this is not the case with 19 and 21 (the 'broken' right and down buttons). My guessing is that the pins feed the 5v button press signal through a series of caps and the chip then interprets the resulting voltage as being a 'direction'. As such, I don't think that soldering a bodge wire directly from pins 19 and 21 would work.

- While testing my CRT I've shorted my garage multiple times. This coulda fried something random. There's no obvious damage to the game board or PSU though.

Any thoughts? It's a cheapo Chinese board. Guessing I could compare the (resistance?) between the caps of my (working) 19 in 1 board and see if there's any obvious differences. There's quite a few though & they're all tiny (assuming this is my issue). It'd be good to hear if anybody's had this issue before prior to embarking upon a search for a needle in a haystack.

Thanks in advance for any tips you've got!

Edited by Taoplan

6 answers to this question

Button inputs should switch to ground. Should be one wire to one side of the switches that is ground and usually common to every switch. You push any button and that wire to that switch should connect to that common ground.

Don't put any other voltage on these wires or it could result in tears.

I wouldn't be connecting a multimeter directly to multiple input pins because a multimeter to do a continuity test puts voltage in to test the circuit and these inputs are strictly designed to be grounded only.

21 minutes ago, Autosteve said:

Button inputs should switch to ground. Should be one wire to one side of the switches that is ground and usually common to every switch. You push any button and that wire to that switch should connect to that common ground.

Thanks. However as noted, the wiring is correct and works. I'm looking for board repair tips...

Edited by Taoplan

7 minutes ago, Boots said:

Has you used the on board diagnostics for testing the button and joystick inputs?

Not yet. Might give that a go tonight as I'm not sure whether the board's getting any input. Could be in the software if I accidentally disabled it or swapped things around somehow [fingers crossed]...

15 hours ago, Boots said:

If it is a board fault just replace the board. Hardly worth messing around with. 

I definitely have that option if I can't find a fix.

The upshot of fixing it is that I'd save money (~$50 stays in my pocket), not have to wait for shipping and learn something new 😄