Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

War Of The Worlds home brew

I've been thinking about this project for quite a while now and seeing that Thomas just needs a few tweaks I'll start on it soon.

It'll be based on the Jeff Waynes musical version of H.G.Wells' War of the worlds, using new mechanisms and switches this time but I'm not sure what I'll be using for a main processor yet. The cabinet will be from the $100 tip find Phantom of the opera and I'll be trading the internals from this machine and possibly a couple of other scrappers for new mechanisms and boards.   

I'm hoping to use nixie tubes for the display and want to give it a 1890s feel. 

As you've probably come to expect it could take a while for me to complete it but  hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

Cheers Trev.

20220914_233639.jpg

• Like 17

Would love to see nixie tubes used in something like this. Sounds like a fantastic project. Looking forward to seeing the build thread.

I was thinking of a Steam Punk project, but using them doesn't appear to be as straight forward as one might think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG Trev said:

but I'm not sure what I'll be using for a main processor yet.

Something pre made in the way of a board set would take away the dramas involved with developing your own electronics.

More than enough building a Homebrew without doing all the electronics as well.

Also need to consider if you ever sell a HomeBrew, better to be able to say it uses XXXXX brand board set that you can buy from YYYY than saying it is totally my own designed electronics and you'll need to back engineer the electronics to fix it. 

Hi, the original album booklet is worth a look.

WotW.thumb.jpg.e1c48dfe7eb538def1d8b2b47aba9ba3.jpg

In the original musical stage production the recorded narration by Richard Burton was projected onto an egg shaped white 'globe' which hung from the rigging, giving a 3D effect to the image. In the 'new generation' stage production (available on Blu-Ray) the narration was a holographic projection of Liam Neeson. Great stuff!

spacer.png

That image from here: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5605458/war-worlds-jeff-wayne-ken-bruce-liam-neeson-richard-burton/

Good luck with the new project, regards John.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The final version of the nixie tube holder.

They'll take molex crimps in the 11 holes making it a socket that and can be joined to others to make a multiple digit display. 

I have 12 nixie tubes so I'll use 8 for the score, 1 for the ball number and 2 for the credits displays with one spare. They're 1N-1 nixies.

20221011_205330.jpg

20221011_205355.jpg

• Like 6