Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Kong Off 2012 - King of AA

Found time for two games tonight, both almost identical 120,000 scores.

I'll give it one more bash now, but I'm finding that playing at night I have way less patience and a way higher temper when things don't go right :lol

The only benefit I've found so far tonight is that having a couple of drinks under the belt seems to help greatly with the timing on the L4+ elevators stages :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, ok I've never played DK, so never knew what the fuss was all about - maybe my arcade days were a bit before it, but anyway I enjoy MGL, mostly because of the exposure to new games, so i thought I'd best give this a crack. Seriously impressed with the scores that are coming up - so far, after only a few games, my best is 15k, died on level 2 by falling through my removed rivets - so you could say I've got away to go :) I assume the whole idea is to point press? Am I missing something - why is it ok in this game, but generally frowned upon elsewhere? This is a purely innocent question - not stirring or having a shot at anyone.

Hmmm, ok I've never played DK, so never knew what the fuss was all about - maybe my arcade days were a bit before it, but anyway I enjoy MGL, mostly because of the exposure to new games, so i thought I'd best give this a crack. Seriously impressed with the scores that are coming up - so far, after only a few games, my best is 15k, died on level 2 by falling through my removed rivets - so you could say I've got away to go :) I assume the whole idea is to point press? Am I missing something - why is it ok in this game, but generally frowned upon elsewhere? This is a purely innocent question - not stirring or having a shot at anyone.

Congrats on 15k off only a few games! :cool:

My arcade days were a bit later than DK. Hadn't really played it at all 'till a couple of years ago but after seeing The King of Kong thought I'd try. Had recently procured a nice retro cab running MAME (thanks Pelly) so I paused Double Dragon, Steetfighter 2, Golden Axe, Final Fight etc to give DK a bash. :o

WTF?! we couldn't pass the first level. Sure, blame the whiskey, whatever -it's a f#$*@n' hard game! The rivets will be the least of your troubles and then the most difficult again once you overcome the other crap.

As for point pressing, no need to bother - you can gain better, higher scores by just improving (I think). Point pressing seems to be more valuable if you could get past the kill screen and still want a WR. Totally agree with what you said about it being accepted in this game and nowhere else! :lol Though this game does limit your opportunity to take advantage of it so maybe people don't feel as cheated.. ?

Point pressing is a little different in DK because you have a counter the constantly ticks down, you just can't hang on one screen forever.

I can pretty regularly make it to L4 without losing a life, so I do point press on the rivet screens when possible. I've tried point pressing on the barrel screen and this just leads to early deaths, so I don't do it - with the exception of grabbing the top hammer, but that's hardly point pressing IMO.

I've also seen point pressing on the spring stage, but it's hard IMO and the point pay off is not worth the trouble for my level of game.

If you are starting out, I would suggest that the rivet stage is a good place to point press when the opportunity arises, some easy free points and it also gives your brain a little bit of a break before going to the next level.

And Fire_Power, don't worry about your early score, go back and have a look at the last Kong Off, I was in exactly the same position as you. This game went from being a ho-hum game to just about my favourite after watching King of Kong and playing in the last Kong Off :) Keep at it, as you learn the game becomes that much more additive.

Ah the old point pressing thing. Btw Ed209..Who said point pressing wasn't accepted, we let you take ghosts and goblins, right ? :lol:

Anyway, its an art form in dk, I think we can say its an exception. Plus, Theres absolutely no way you can mindlessly point press in dk and compete with the big scores, unlike some other games. Its just not possible.

Not posting anything just yet, too embarrassed =)

Ah the old point pressing thing. Btw Ed209..Who said point pressing wasn't accepted, we let you take ghosts and goblins, right ? :lol:

Anyway, its an art form in dk, I think we can say its an exception. Plus, Theres absolutely no way you can mindlessly point press in dk and compete with the big scores, unlike some other games. Its just not possible.

Not posting anything just yet, too embarrassed =)

:lol I totally earned that win! You just don't understand my art. :p

dkon0002.png.d65daff7e78b65f71c9d9e3a5913746a.png

New pb for me.

I'm at home with my 3yr old today, might sneak in a few more games...

Hope I don't get that dreaded call from down the hall -'daddy, wipe my butt'

IMG_0493.thumb.jpg.0272eb3e7cb5eeb2ad1de6c8add61726.jpg

First game of the day:)

Nice first up score, and welcome to the MGL :006:

Thanks John, I feel a bit cheeky nudging you out of 3rd place :redface but I might never get that high again:rolleyes

Nice Marquee ! :)

Thanks mate, I made it for a Crazy Kong comp we had a few weeks ago:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38587[/ATTACH]

First game of the day:)

Thanks John, I feel a bit cheeky nudging you out of 3rd place :redface but I might never get that high again:rolleyes

Thanks mate, I made it for a Crazy Kong comp we had a few weeks ago:)

Don't worry about nudging me out of 3rd, I aint done yet :lol

Can you post your screen shot again, I get nothing on the link you posted so can't verify the score.

Edit:

That's better, updating table now :)

Some very respectable scores being posted ladies, keep it up:) I had a quick couple of games but couldn't get past the 400k mark, so i wont post yet:p

:lol

Forgot to say, recorded my game, so I big improvement on my TG score if I don't manage any better - but still a week and a half to go :)

Didn't die once on the elevators either, think every death was on the barrels stage :unsure

:lol Yeah, i lied:laugh: More like cant get past the 150k brick I have in my ass at the moment:x

The worst thing I have ever done on this game is start to point press, it has really pulled my scores back......

I know what you mean, I point press on rivets of L1 and L2 and that is it.

Also something I've found that has helped me a bit with wild barrels - I pretty much just gun it in the same direction when I'm on the lower part of the level, find I avoid them way more than back tracking. Still occasionally get smashed on the head when I'm directly below kong, don't think their is much you can do about this, just bad luck I guess? :unsure

Just did a quick calculation from my game last night, if I had have hit the kill screen (yeah I know :lol) I would have scored between 800k and 850k. Plenty of room left for point pressing in my game :laugh:

Nearly the weekend :cool: Hope we see some more and bigger scores coming in, surely someone can give Kane a scare ;)

Nearly the weekend :cool: Hope we see some more and bigger scores coming in, surely someone can give Kane a scare ;)

cant wait to get stuck in to it this weekend, been busy with work all week but come this afternoon i'll get stuck into it....

cant leave kane up there all by himself :p

Have you noticed that the "music" is the same as Radar Scope, it just doesn't speed up. So we could say that Radar Scope is the spiritual parent of this game (yes I know about the excess cabinets in the USA story).

Thanks for the earlier tips and encouragement, I've now powered past 15k and have hit 16,100. I'm going to hold off posting a screenshot 'till I crack the big 25k :lol - might be in a few comps time at my rate of progress. I am yet to get through the elevator stage. Heading out for a beer now, so no progress tonight.

Have you noticed that the "music" is the same as Radar Scope, it just doesn't speed up. So we could say that Radar Scope is the spiritual parent of this game (yes I know about the excess cabinets in the USA story).

Thanks for the earlier tips and encouragement, I've now powered past 15k and have hit 16,100. I'm going to hold off posting a screenshot 'till I crack the big 25k :lol - might be in a few comps time at my rate of progress. I am yet to get through the elevator stage. Heading out for a beer now, so no progress tonight.

Stick with it, I was smashing my head against a wall in the last Kong Off and all of a sudden it just clicked.

Have you noticed that the "music" is the same as Radar Scope

The default high score table is from Radar Scope too, and have you noticed that the scores that end in 50 are actually impossible to achieve in DK.