Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The punkin's in Trouble Again With Repairs Thread.

punkin

Question

Hi all, new skill i'm learning today, replace a flipper coil.

This one is on Bally Lost World and it's AQ25-500. The original coil has a resistor (i think) soldered across the two tabs as shown as well as the smaller resistors on the underside that both have.

Should i desolder the other one from the old coil and put it on the new one or is it a hack?

There is a smaller white resistor soldered to the other coil on the other flipper but it's not an original coil.

coil1.jpg.1fefabc199429784607489fc13611b75.jpg

coil2.jpg.6fa358c580aaefe396490a7186632a54.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• Answers 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Administrators
Maybe have a "Piss Up and Fix Up" Meet at your place, you supply the booze & barby and the guests supply the tools and knowledge, you just might get em all working in one night.

Great idea, just make sure the techs get some games fixed before they get on the piss!

Doesn’t Houdini have the small fuses like in WPC 95?

When I did @ audioenslaved ‘s game, it had taken out a whole row of mosfets on the power driver board under the playfield.

Changed all 8 of them and it stopped blowing fuses.

PS

Downloaded the manual and still have it. Not hard people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitch is a couple hours away yes. But i can't afford to pay for help every time something goes wrong. This may be another exception though. @Parazio has been doing a lot lately for me but i don't like asking all the time as he won't take money.

Would definately offer accommodation, a drink and feed to someone who'd help.

Wow Garry you are having a bad run of reliability. Sorry to hear that the Tommy is now playing up 50% of the time since being reliable at Pinfest. What is exactly wrong with it at this stage? I do remember you posting it gets played a lot but maybe we can help. PM me if you like and I'll see if I know an answer,

jeff

I know we previously discussed multiable power circuits earlier but has it occurred to you that all these malfunctions could be due to spikes & surges? Just saying.:unsure

Might want to check if you have things like microwave ovens on the same power circuit?. I know my BP doesn't like the microwave but I power both off a generator. I just don't run both at the same time any longer because it causes the pinball to reset.

I would take the time to measure the mains voltage and continue measuring it while increasing the load on the circuit. Start switching on more machines and continue to measure the mains voltage. Just wondering if one of your pinballs may have a faulty transformer?. Not real sure what effect this would have but the mains meter test above should spot if something is wrong.

Might also be wise to check all the mains varistors in all the machines to check if any have been bypassed. Also check all the ground wires in all the power cords are working. ( meter set to continuity with machine unplugged...one lead on the green earth pin at the mains plug and the other lead to any metal on the cabinet......should read around 0 ohms)

I get that, and i'm slowly learning, but i bought a really nice Tales of the Crypt for nearly 5K and it's broken down the night i got it and it's beyond me to figure it out. Then the next machine i bought was a HUO Houdini with 40 plays on it for 9k and it blew up the day after i bought it and i don't have the faintest idea where to start.

I can manage the little switch adjustments and some minor diagnostics etc but when a machine suffers a catastrophic failure to all intents it's pretty depressing to realise i have spent over 30k on machines that are currently switched off because i can't fix them. That's my reality.

There's not a single machine here that i blame the seller for as they all worked when i got them, just a shame that some of them only worked for hours.

Most of the people here must have forgotten the learning curve i guess, and it rubs salt in that to have someone tell me i must be buying projects. Hurtfull thing to say to someone that's essentially 30k down.

I get that, and i'm slowly learning, but i bought a really nice Tales of the Crypt for nearly 5K and it's broken down the night i got it and it's beyond me to figure it out. Then the next machine i bought was a HUO Houdini with 40 plays on it for 9k and it blew up the day after i bought it and i don't have the faintest idea where to start.

I can manage the little switch adjustments and some minor diagnostics etc but when a machine suffers a catastrophic failure to all intents it's pretty depressing to realise i have spent over 30k on machines that are currently switched off because i can't fix them. That's my reality.

There's not a single machine here that i blame the seller for as they all worked when i got them, just a shame that some of them only worked for hours.

Most of the people here must have forgotten the learning curve i guess, and it rubs salt in that to have someone tell me i must be buying projects. Hurtfull thing to say to someone that's essentially 30k down.

I feel your pain brother....

I think its a reality that nobody ever tells you until.....$30k

I am finding that the older the machine the more reliable...Why?

My theory is that all pinballs are built basically the same and they all bar a few exceptions probably behave the same.

I.E. That is they all breakdown, need adjustments, realignments and so much more....

I reckon that all new pinballs meed to break to be fixed...That is why the older the machine the less breakdowns because everyone has a cure for the common fault due to sharing experiences on fixing these beasts...and the fact they have been fixed....Does that equate to all new machines being sold to break or broken?

I watched Elvira 3 get set up the other day and after an hour plus of adjustments it was playable for a game and then the fix's continued. Not even flippers set up to the supplied guide on the machine.

Yea, lets start with a flipper adjustment....

You could always try fixing my Alice with No manual whatsoever? Figure that for a NIB over 11k

It is my only NIB and it is the most problematic....It is really pissing me off to have the NIB be the most painfull...

Maybe NIB means when someone asks to play it? I reply...NIB? Sorry that now means No Its Broken...:cry

it rubs salt in that to have someone tell me i must be buying projects. Hurtfull thing to say to someone that's essentially 30k down.

no ones said that to you ? tony *asked you* if they were projects ? (I would suggest his question relates to the industry in general and many people selling glossed up junk as "fully working" and isnt really about you at all)

no ones said that to you ? tony *asked you* if they were projects ? (I would suggest his question relates to the industry in general and many people selling glossed up junk as "fully working" and isnt really about you at all)

I don't know what that paragraph means. I understood the implication in the original comment clearly enough. And as far as i remember he told me his name was Patrick when he sold me a machine.

Edit....Checked back through the thread and it wasn't Patrick that initially made the comment. he told me i should be more discerning.

I don't know how to do that. they worked when i bought them.....Edit

Dag is correct, the newer machines are mostly the problem, but they are all busting. I understand after the first one i bought (new Deadpool) and i had to keep doming things to keep it running, i just get depressed when it's major things that require hours of diagnostics etc. It's not that i'm lazy, it's that i'm new to this.

I can get Mitch to come and do it but at $150 an hour for a machine that has 40 plays on it, and another that was working and now needs all the boards rebuilt after 3 hours play i'll be a grand in the hole.

I didn't plan for that.

Anyway it is what it is and i'll just stop buying the ****ing things.

I don't know what that paragraph means. I understood the implication in the original comment clearly enough. And as far as i remember he told me his name was Patrick when he sold me a machine.

Edit....Checked back through the thread and it wasn't Patrick that initially made the comment. he told me i should be more discerning.

Dag is correct, the newer machines are mostly the problem, but they are all busting. I understand after the first one i bought (new Deadpool) and i had to keep doming things to keep it running, i just get depressed when it's major things that require hours of diagnostics etc. It's not that i'm lazy, it's that i'm new to this.

I can get Mitch to come and do it but at $150 an hour for a machine that has 40 plays on it, and another that was working and now needs all the boards rebuilt after 3 hours play i'll be a grand in the hole.

I didn't plan for that.

Hi Garry, i don't charge that much per hour for a service call, so it won't be as expensive as you might think if i were to come up.

Just to clarify, i charge a minimum call out fee which covers the first hour and travel, then each additional hour at a reduced rate (usually about a third of the service call fee), plus parts. Also if for some reason i'm unable to fix a machine on the day i don't charge for time spent on that particular game.. i don't believe in taking money i haven't earned!

I generally don't go up to Coffs unless i have several calls to do while there, which makes it a bit cheaper for everyone i have to visit. I don't have any other calls to do up that way at this stage, but if you're really stuck, get in touch with me and i'll see what i can do. Cheers.. Mitch

I didn't plan for that.

I think that's a sensible thing to do. Sort out what you got before buying more. In reality how many can you play at a time. Sounds like you've got some working, play those and slowly work through issues.

Btw Is houdini still under warranty or maybe the distro can offer some advice, parts etc

Dont get too frustrated. It,s hard to keep a larger collection up & running always.

It will get easier as time goes on.

I usually get Ken to go through misbehaving machines. Well the electronic ones that is. Then when I get them back they are VERY reliable.

There has always been Bodgey shit done to them in the past plus generic probs with brand, age , etc. Ken knows it & sorts it.

Thanks @Skybeaux

The Goatshed boys get the EM issues. We are very spoiled living in Newcastle with these guys nearby

I can bring a few back down from there to him if you like. Next week I hope to get up that way

I feel your pain brother....

I think its a reality that nobody ever tells you until.....$30k

I am finding that the older the machine the more reliable...Why?

My theory is that all pinballs are built basically the same and they all bar a few exceptions probably behave the same.

I.E. That is they all breakdown, need adjustments, realignments and so much more....

I reckon that all new pinballs meed to break to be fixed...That is why the older the machine the less breakdowns because everyone has a cure for the common fault due to sharing experiences on fixing these beasts...and the fact they have been fixed....Does that equate to all new machines being sold to break or broken?

I watched Elvira 3 get set up the other day and after an hour plus of adjustments it was playable for a game and then the fix's continued. Not even flippers set up to the supplied guide on the machine.

Yea, lets start with a flipper adjustment....

You could always try fixing my Alice with No manual whatsoever? Figure that for a NIB over 11k

It is my only NIB and it is the most problematic....It is really pissing me off to have the NIB be the most painfull...

Maybe NIB means when someone asks to play it? I reply...NIB? Sorry that now means No Its Broken...:cry

Nib = now its broken .. very bloody clever .. cracked me up big time [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].. but yes I do feel your pain even though my most expensive pin purchase to date has been 3K

Sent from my SM-A520F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Hi Garry, i don't charge that much per hour for a service call, so it won't be as expensive as you might think if i were to come up.

Just to clarify, i charge a minimum call out fee which covers the first hour and travel, then each additional hour at a reduced rate (usually about a third of the service call fee), plus parts. Also if for some reason i'm unable to fix a machine on the day i don't charge for time spent on that particular game.. i don't believe in taking money i haven't earned!

I generally don't go up to Coffs unless i have several calls to do while there, which makes it a bit cheaper for everyone i have to visit. I don't have any other calls to do up that way at this stage, but if you're really stuck, get in touch with me and i'll see what i can do. Cheers.. Mitch

I know Mitch, i'm sorry for not saying it correctly. I just typed out fast from a depressed state. Thanks to everyones support, i'm just going to step back for a while i'm pretty down about it all.