Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New issues with playfields surface....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a bit more than that reading the thread. The art seems poorly adhered to the playfield as well for some reason. The clear is rippling up and taking the art with it. Games back to ACDC VE are showing similar problems (now that this pronounced JP instance has sparked owners to look), as well as Star Trek and Iron Maiden.

Seems like a bit more than that reading the thread. The art seems poorly adhered to the playfield as well for some reason. The clear is rippling up and taking the art with it. Games back to ACDC VE are showing similar problems (now that this pronounced JP instance has sparked owners to look), as well as Star Trek and Iron Maiden.

When was acdcve? I have a 2016 gb, 2017 met and 2018 twd, interested whether I should be looking

Don't they call that "Creeping" I've seen that on side art where the legs are fitted to the cabinet. The pressure of the machines weight pushes on the decal causing it to move slightly. Hard to understand why a vertical post would do the same type of thing.

Now also mentions of GOTG and Munsters...

462d17588fda8d3024a50e5339c5154a1903de18.thumb.jpg.3304862d6b05c0ff9211d4d14ff08153.jpg

Nasty dimples in that GOTG as well.

As well as a reminder around some of sterns obligations in the matter...

51886023c97512c854f68278c144b58e39715410.thumb.jpg.fc162ac47981363dfa3098b8c7fc1a3f.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Have any of the owners returned the machine to their machine to the place of purchase?

In the JP2 thread apparently at least one owner so far is getting a replacment. Stern have been publicly silent on the issue it seems. Understandably too I guess. Could become very costly.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't they call that "Creeping" I've seen that on side art where the legs are fitted to the cabinet. The pressure of the machines weight pushes on the decal causing it to move slightly. Hard to understand why a vertical post would do the same type of thing.

Seems like it's a combination of soft clear, and ink not adhered to playfield very well. Can only speculate on reasons why, most in the thread are, speculating. Everything from humidity to digital printing issues to rushing them out the door could be possible causes.

You've really got to search for it, not noticable during gameplay, so luckily not a huge issue for most people.

After detailed searching, I can see some 'waves' on Black Knight, Iron Maiden, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars LE, Aerosmith. Which makes sense to only go back to around there, as that is pretty close to around the time Stern cut ties with their old playfield manufacturer.

• Like 1

You've really got to search for it, not noticable during gameplay, so luckily not a huge issue for most people.

After detailed searching, I can see some 'waves' on Black Knight, Iron Maiden, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars LE, Aerosmith. Which makes sense to only go back to around there, as that is pretty close to around the time Stern cut ties with their old playfield manufacturer.

Who makes stern playfields now?

These issues now include Tearing, lifting, cracking/flaking.

Who makes stern playfields now?

Stern hasn't publically announced it anywhere.

It's actually done at 2 different locations.... one company cuts the playfields, hammers the inserts in, and sands it back..... then they are sent elsewhere for the art to be printed (no longer silkscreened) and then clear coated (now uses water-based clear).

Edited by Brk_oth

Seems like it's a combination of soft clear, and ink not adhered to playfield very well. Can only speculate on reasons why, most in the thread are, speculating. Everything from humidity to digital printing issues to rushing them out the door could be possible causes.

Yes, just finished reading it all. Big issue! I'm so glad my WOZ is ok, seems they have the issue due to environmental regulations insisting on an acrylic base clear instead of a chemical based clear. I'm thinking the raw wood hasn't been dried out enough before the printing & clear process. If the wood is still a bit waxy nothing will stick completely.

So it's not a new issue, it's an old issue not resolved.

An old issue sounds about right, but its an "old issue" that nobody has ever noticed until now... I guess we must be running out of things to complain about soon.

Stern are not alone JJP has the same problem with Pirates

It seems Wonka has issues too.

- - - Updated - - -

An old issue sounds about right, but its an "old issue" that nobody has ever noticed until now... I guess we must be running out of things to complain about soon.

Yes I know what you mean, but if your buying NIB, these issues do play on your mind.

It's a Russian Roulette as to what you receive lately.

For the few collectors that actually notice and complain for a replacement playfield that probably only costs stern etc a few hundred $ to make it's not worth the effort for them to change their production methods.

It would only become an issue if people stopped buying the games.. if it started to seriously hurt their sales then they might do something about it.

its not on Chicago Gaming as they screen print playfields

looks like a digital print problem to me, I know most have changed the ink formula to comply with new regulations, doesn't adhere as well

I still wonder if the wood hasn't been dried out fully, still a bit wet during the printing process trapping moisture.

its normally a reaction between solvent ink and clear, I have seen this when people put cabinet art on painted cabinets using solvent based paint and it is degassing, might be clearing before ink has time to degass as well, the gas had no where to go but bubble

Timber playfield, weather/humidity, chemical reaction with products used, clear not yet cured, posts installed too tight, etc. Whatever the cause and whatever the manufacturer, I wouldn't be too happy I guess if it was quite visible, especially what these machines cost. You'd think by 2019 with current technology, and after nearly 90 years of pinball manufacture since the 1930's, they'd be able to get it right. But cost cutting and profits is what it's about.

I just checked my three newer machines (MM has Mirco PF) very carefully and no sign of it at all.

Definitely a concern and will no doubt affect sales. By how much, who knows.

Bruce at amd told me that they unbox and check machines (I don’t know what they check and may only be le’s as that was what I was discussing at the time).

I haven’t yet asked but does anyone know if they’d classify these blisters as defects?

From the jp2 posts on pinside it seems that machines can be delivered and are cosmetically perfect but within a few days of play can exhibit these issues (sling rubber + coil activations causing extra pressure on posts perhaps?)

Given the time they sit on a ship for aus stock could these issues present themselves right out of the box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk