Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Arcade Power Supply - Which one should I go with?

Hi all, currently looking for an arcade power supply.

There are a few choices on ebay, leaning towards the Hei-Ma 15amp PSU from gamedudecomputers however even though its listed at 240volts, the unit itself has 220volts written on the stickers.

I want to comfortably run my pcbs and unsure on if this would be ideal, does anyone have any suggestions or possible experience with this unit?

Cheers

Hi all, currently looking for an arcade power supply.

There are a few choices on ebay, leaning towards the Hei-Ma 15amp PSU from gamedudecomputers however even though its listed at 240volts, the unit itself has 220volts written on the stickers.

I want to comfortably run my pcbs and unsure on if this would be ideal, does anyone have any suggestions or possible experience with this unit?

Cheers

Australia is not 240V - it is 230V

Anywhere between 220 and 260 is perfectly OK.

From Ausgrids 2017 Network Standard

6.1 Steady state supply voltage

6.1.1 Range of supply voltage

Supply voltage is the voltage, from phase to neutral or phase to phase, for electricity that is

supplied at a connection point. Maintaining this steady state supply voltage is important to ensure

appropriately designed equipment does not malfunction and is not damaged.

When Ausgrid identifies or is notified that the steady state supply voltage is outside the specified

target range, Ausgrid will take reasonable steps to modify the network to ensure that the voltage

will be maintained at the required level and achieve Ausgrid’s steady state voltage supply objective.

6.1.1.1 Low voltage supply

Ausgrid’s objective for the operation of its network is to maintain a target steady state phase to

neutral supply voltage (measured as a ten-minute average in accordance with AS 61000.3.100

Limits – Steady State voltage limits in public electricity systems) within the range of 216V to 253V

at connection points under normal operating conditions. This range is the nominal voltage range of

230V in Australian Standard AS 60038 Standard Voltages, with a tolerance of +10%/- 6% to allow

for voltage regulation within the network.

It should be noted that due to system operational constraints and physical network limitations, it

may not be possible to maintain the target steady state supply voltage range for all of the time at a

given connection point.

Where the above target steady state supply voltage range cannot be maintained, particularly under

abnormal network arrangements such as may occur during maintenance, Ausgrid’s objective is to

maintain a steady state voltage within the range 207V to 262V at all times. This range excludes

situations arising from faults or voltage interruptions.

Following an Energy Networks Association review in 2011, Ausgrid commenced migration from a

nominal voltage of 240V to 230V. Over time, the normal average Ausgrid network voltage will be

reduced from around 250V to around 240V.

Take your pick

Heh, according to my link Standards Australia decided to transition from 240V to 230V over 20 years in 1983... AusGrid decided in 2011 to commence migration. Yep, standards take time!

Heh, according to my link Standards Australia decided to transition from 240V to 230V over 20 years in 1983... AusGrid decided in 2011 to commence migration. Yep, standards take time!

Yup, most people still think Australia is 240V but the reality is it was changed a long time ago. I guess many refer to the voltage "generically" as 240V for historical reasons :unsure

thanks for the feedback, will go on an order one.

just one more thing i forgot to mention, i'll be running a video converter board as well that requires 5volts and ground

can i just screw the 5 volts wire from the converter along with the 5v wire from the jamma harness?

cheers