Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL13 Game 1: Crush Roller [FINISHED]

FOOT puts the boot in and kicks off MGL13 with his nomination,

http://i54.tinypic.com/es598l.jpg

For those new to the MGL - it's important we are all playing with the same ROM and dip switch settings, see below.

ROM NAME: crush.zip (Kural Samno)

DIP SWITCH SETTINGS:

Lives: 3

First Pattern: Easy

Teleport Holes: OFF

GAME DETAILS:

Manufacturer: Kural Samno

Year: 1981

Genre: Labyrinth/Maze

Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Crush Roller Description

The player controls a paintbrush to paint paths within a maze. The player is harassed by two fish which can be temporarily destroyed by running them over with a one of two paint rollers located near the maze center. A critter occasionally emerges to leave footprints on painted areas which must then be repainted.

For more info, visit http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7454

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the body of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score.

Crush Roller comp closes 7PM June 26th.

LEADERBOARD:

Knight76: 148,640

Foot: 138,320

Spartan: 125,370

Pelly: 123,100

Kane: 111,220

Johns-Arcade: 110,990

Jammasized: 80,400

azathoth: 67,550

Brad: 60,620

SectionZ: 58,910

Rat: 40,740

Firepower: 38,390

John73: 32,260

Gameroom: 28,490

DKong: 24,130

Dezbaz: 23,350

RetrozOr: 22,710

Hollo: 16,330

wingtipvortex: 13,650

Shabu: 10,470

@lien_Zed: 7,020

Edited by Jed

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/0000.png

I'll start things off with this crap score :lol I've only given it half an hour so far, but very difficult.

Come on Foot and others that have played this, start dishing the tips :D

Cool game indeed, one of my favs, although according to my Mame playing mates I'm a sad middle aged git with a penchant for maze games from the early eighties!

I submit the first score of 18970.

Edit - Dam you John, I submit my first score

crus0002.png.55d3f3735f669f0cd0b9a39b68a4251b.png

Edited by Fire_Power
beaten to punch

Come on Foot and others that have played this, start dishing the tips :D
Tips come later in the course of a game. I for one don't want to see tips or howto's posted so close to a game start, especially given each game is now 2 weeks. Part of the fun with MGL is learning how to play an unfamiliar game your own way. So, have fun with it :)

Tips come later in the course of a game. I for one don't want to see tips or howto's posted so close to a game start, especially given each game is now 2 weeks. Part of the fun with MGL is learning how to play an unfamiliar game your own way. So, have fun with it :)

I second that:) Pump in those credits and bash it out for a while first. The learning curve is part of the fun bits:cool:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/0001.png

That might do me for a while. May give it another bash later on tonight, but I tend to play games best first thing in the mornings :cool:

Fair enough

well i played for a while, it kinda reminds me of pacman a bit.... and it bored me to tears as well unfortunately.... i just cant get in to this game, played it a few times,never played it before, and never will ever again, lol

best score 7020:lolcrushed_at.crush.png.fb9f8b11e784872ff160b9eabe6ff828.png

might have a few glasses of wine and try again:lol

well i played for a while, it kinda reminds me of pacman a bit.... and it bored me to tears as well unfortunately.... i just cant get in to this game, played it a few times,never played it before, and never will ever again, lol

best score 7020:lol[ATTACH=CONFIG]25184[/ATTACH]

might have a few glasses of wine and try again:lol

Can't say it's my cup of tea either :lol oh well, win some you lose some I guess :D

I just installed a new soundcard Asus Xonar Essence STX and the soundtrack of this game is really ummmmmm, actually I heard "can you put your headphones on dear?" a request that I nearly always ignore ;) but I could sympathize.

I like this game, but I'm not good at it, I tried a few wines and got 7k so @lien_Zed I can confirm that wont help :) I think my PB is a bit over 10k, so I'm not gunna take this one out. Those that invest the time to learn patterns will do well, I wont be able to find the time for that.

I agree that people shouldn't give tips this early.

Hate this game. Anyway, my score of 24,040 should send me to the top of the leaderboard for at least 5 mins.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25185[/ATTACH]

8 mins and you are still at the top :lol

I will try again now, but I'm pissed :D

I will persist with this a bit more over the week :rolleyes

I hope it's not cheating, but I downloaded an INP file to see what I'm missing - it got me a few more points but I'll be buggered if I can play like the guy who posted this file :cry

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I just installed a new soundcard Asus Xonar Essence STX and the soundtrack of this game is really ummmmmm, actually I heard "can you put your headphones on dear?" a request that I nearly always ignore ;) but I could sympathize.

I'm single ATM :( But I'll keep this game in mind if I ever need to get out of a relationship :lol If really is a relationship killing tune :D

I hope it's not cheating, but I downloaded an INP file to see what I'm missing - it got me a few more points but I'll be buggered if I can play like the guy who posted this file :cry

Its not cheating in the MGL, but i reckon you are cheating yourself not giving it a go for at least a day or two without looking at things like this. My opinion only:)

Its not cheating in the MGL, but i reckon you are cheating yourself not giving it a go for at least a day or two without looking at things like this. My opinion only:)

I know what you're saying. But when you aren't even close to finishing the 2nd level of a game after a couple of hour :rolleyes As I posted in the nom's thread - never seen or played this game. If I played it in the old days at the arcade, I wouldn't have used more that $2 worth of 20 cent coins unless I got a hint how to play it :D

If I played it in the old days at the arcade, I wouldn't have used more that $2 worth of 20 cent coins unless I got a hint how to play it :D

Really? I can remember playing Dragons Lair, and pumping plenty of coin into it to further myself into the game. I think with youtube and other sites that are accessible, its kinda killed the " work through it " attitude of gaming. Sad really.

But it comes down to self discipline i guess. I have no problem with what you do, but i will always give it some time to discover the little bonuses of each game:) If after some pushed time on a particular one i cant get through, i may look at a vid of someone else doing it. Each to their own though i say:D

Really? I can remember playing Dragons Lair, and pumping plenty of coin into it to further myself into the game. I think with youtube and other sites that are accessible, its kinda killed the " work through it " attitude of gaming. Sad really.

But it comes down to self discipline i guess. I have no problem with what you do, but i will always give it some time to discover the little bonuses of each game:) If after some pushed time on a particular one i cant get through, i may look at a vid of someone else doing it. Each to their own though i say:D

I guess I prefer my games to give you a little bit each time. If a game requires further progress for you memorize patterns then it's not my sort of game. I'll crash and burn in this one and hope the next game is something I want to persist with I guess. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that it's not my sort of game - it just doesn't hold my interest enough to want to chuck more coins in to :D

But it comes down to self discipline i guess. I have no problem with what you do, but i will always give it some time to discover the little bonuses of each game:)

I agree. I find it difficult to see the payoff / reward when you straight off look at how an expert does it. Kind of similar to what killed 'Magic The Gathering' card game for me, many, many years ago.... when people started using Internet decks, and just copied the experts 'killer decks'. Takes all the individuality and personality out if it and reduces it to a cold science. Not my cup of tea. Mmmmm tea, that's a good idea.

I agree. I find it difficult to see the payoff / reward when you straight off look at how an expert does it. Kind of similar to what killed 'Magic The Gathering' card game for me, many, many years ago.... when people started using Internet decks, and just copied the experts 'killer decks'. Takes all the individuality and personality out if it and reduces it to a cold science. Not my cup of tea. Mmmmm tea, that's a good idea.

I think you've got me wrong or I didn't explain what I meant properly. I have no problem learning a game myself and working through things. My personal opinion of this game, having played lots of video games over the years, is that to me, this game seems unnecessarily hard from the get go. It is almost like it was designed more to suck coins out of the player than to give them opportunity to slowly improve as most games do.

Anyway, my brain is fresh now. I'll have a few more games this morning and see if I can find any improvement.

---

Played another 20 or so games and finally made it to level 4 :) Only improved my high score by a couple of hundred points though :(

Edited by John73

In the spirit of giving this thing a proper go, I've not looked at any further vids of this being played. I played about 20 games earlier this morning, then chucked 99 credits on the machine. So all up I will have played probably 150+ games by the time this hits zero.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/0004.png

I just do not get this game, can not work it out :lol Guessing if you are good at this you're probably good at pacman (which I am not particularly good at).

Anyway, off to get some lunch and maybe do some work on my cab. I'll get into my final 77 credits later this arvo :laugh: