Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

HELP! Rookie converting LAI 38" CRT Sammy Extreme Hunting to Hyperspin PC

Arcade restoring rookie in need of advice.

Hi guys, I have managed to pick up an LAI 38" CRT cabinet hosting Sammy Extreme Hunting Atomiswave for a bargain. It's in great/fair condition for the most part is is all original and operational. I'll spare you all the story of what was entailed in getting this beast up two flights of stairs into an apartment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]153220[/ATTACH]

I am wanting to convert it the easiest and most cost reasonable way possible to support Hyperspin as a front end using PC based hardware over using PI/Android(Shield)/Pandora and usb encoders.

To make this post easily digestible as possible I will break up the questions I have and need assistance with into separate posts/areas. I have a background in IT but little understanding of working on arcades.

Honeyview_DSC_0054.thumb.jpg.1a3afe73ebf99651c67edf6768ba5d1a.jpg

JAMMA appears the easiest way to use the existing configuration for audio and video conversion.

1. Firstly my main concern. VGA & Audio to Jamma. It did seem that there are 2 options. Via Jamma direct via a converter card or via RGB plugged into a VGA to CGA conversion card with seperate audio.

To go via the jamma card directly appears the best option. The card below appears to do the job.

Question: Do you guys think this is a good option for connecting VGA and audio together to JAMMA? or should I get a VGA to CGA converter card and figure out the audio to use the existing 3 speakers/amp separately?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000141310730.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.f2ef172720t1jZ&algo_pvid=7325698f-abd3-425a-aa68-275e669492b0&algo_expid=7325698f-abd3-425a-aa68-275e669492b0-21&btsid=1ca79975-b860-4d5a-9b1a-08c154229e6e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_52

5529994120658944.jpg.1aa4f1440c5930b6adfc0c8ffabbfcc5.jpg

Alternatively 3 VGA to CGA converter cards locally for reasonable prices.

1) $34.99 https://arcadeclassics.com.au/arcade_games/spare-parts/video-converters/vga-cga-adapter/

2) $16.95 https://www.austinamusements.com.au/monitor-converter-boards/vga-to-cga-converter-board.html

3) $ 35.00 Video Amplifier from J-PAC? http://www.ozstick.com.au/product/video-amplifier/

Honeyview_Honeyview_DSC_0052.thumb.jpg.10212e5ffcbdabad8f15d4e97528508c.jpg

Edited by Slippery Pickle

For me personally, can't beat an original CRT. It's always been a focal point regarding a personal cabinet, I personally really dislike the look of LED screens. Ontop of the shotguns being Happ 45 CRT based also.

Though replacing the 38" tube (heavens forbid) will be a costly nightmare. I will most likely go to a Candycab if it fails depending on cost.

Wow, I had one of those and moving it one room to the next was near impossible. Upstairs would have been a challenge.

Ok your question, I would go with a J-pac board and new JAMMA harness, as in totally rewire the cabinet. This gets around the issue of trying to incorporate old wiring into your project and J-pac's are designed to work with PC's in an arcade cabinet.

How's the screen, these 38" screen's get flogged with light gun games.

Cheers Crafty.

To say it was a nightmare wouldn't do it justice. I had to airtask 2 people and then later bribe 2 random, massive Assyrian lads off the street, 5 people later we got it up in pieces. I had to seperate the top cabinet and unplug all of the wiring.

You might be able to help me on that front as I haven't wired it all up to even test.

Thanks, though I must say the idea of redoing all the wiring I find just a little daunting as I have no idea what I'm doing there. A new Jamma harness isn't a problem.

For a background of the unit, it was first owned by Zak Amusements in 2006 and found it's way to a cinema in Brisbane. After which it was purchased a few years ago and sparsely used by 1 owner, having it serviced by the original technician prior to purchase.

Surprisingly it's pretty clean inside and all the wiring is in good condition from what I can see.

Thanks for the advice. I found the J-Pac appealing and are deciding between it and a few others, going for a 2-player LED encoder appears an option, however I later want to incorporate the shotguns.

The option from Oztick is the video encoder for the J-pac. However I would have to find a seperate solution for the audio?

Prior to purchase the CRT was in full working condition with no noticeable screen burn. I've plugged most of it all back together but honestly, been a little afraid to turn it on yet haha.

I really hope the transit up the stairs didn't do any damage but we'll find out soon. The chassis looks to be in really good condition.*fingers crossed.

Honeyview_Honeyview_DSC_0062.thumb.jpg.a95f007b9ac69b7b4b4bac37a13e06bd.jpg Honeyview_Honeyview_DSC_0063.thumb.jpg.ff9e82ed0cf828f5b4e361576e6e7a00.jpg

Honeyview_DSC_0049.thumb.jpg.e4a61b44ac0aa8b0d0842966179886c3.jpg

Audio if your going the PC route to me is simple. Use PC speakers...

There is monstrous amounts of room in these cabinet's.

Once you get started it seems to get easier and if you have built a PC before (assumption as your in IT)? then it's not to hard to rewire or at the very least remove a lot of wire not already in use.

What gets complicated is when people (Not just you) try and do everything with the one cabinet. ie put the shotguns back later. this adds complexity.

My cabinet went through many builds in my head including a point blank shooter. I collected all he parts, even installed a new screen. Then I realised using a Wii or Wii U, I could play House of the Dead, Ghost Squad, and a myriad of other good shooting games on a flat screen so easily. Then it was just to big for me so I sold it at a loss.

was your machine working when you bought it?

That video amp you linked to is not a j-pac, be aware. And it, or an actual j-pac, won't get you 15kHz video, which i'm assuming is what the CRT will need. If so, try this guide.

You probably will need a video amp, remember, and the Jpac is a good choice for that. I've never actually used one, so can't speak to how many joystick/button inputs the j-pac has, but it does have a few. Or about any audio capabilites. PC Speakers are also a good option for that. You can get a used 2.1 system for next to nothing and just decase the tweeters if required.

Audio if your going the PC route to me is simple. Use PC speakers...

There is monstrous amounts of room in these cabinet's.

Once you get started it seems to get easier and if you have built a PC before (assumption as your in IT)? then it's not to hard to rewire or at the very least remove a lot of wire not already in use.

What gets complicated is when people (Not just you) try and do everything with the one cabinet. ie put the shotguns back later. this adds complexity.

Well that's me sir. :). This may be ambitious for a beginner but I indeed do intend to incorporate the shotguns. I did assume speakers would be an option, however, at worst I'll go with the below option as I've already looked at cheap 12V amplifiers. The main goal here though is that I don't really want to strip all the existing wiring. It's running an Atomiswave, though no network hack/device exists that I know of that supports images, it would be a waste to strip it all considering I could later just add a Naomi 2 for example that has a lot of benefits and gun game support. I'm looking for the fastest conversion route and least invasive. I know my way around a motherboard and molex connectors aren't daunting it's just the amount of tracking cables to PCB cards that are foreign to me I'm figuring out.

I have found a good amount of information on the 2 shotguns, both use Happ 45 based encoders, from what I've read, inclusive of pinout diagrams it shouldn't be too difficult to connect to a USB encoder.

I do have a horde of emulation options, I already own an Aimtrack Gun and PS3 move gun setup. However the main goal of the purchase was the huge CRT, the shotguns are just a bonus. I already game on a 48" screen via emulation but I'm a purist when it comes to CRT gaming.

My cabinet went through many builds in my head including a point blank shooter. I collected all he parts, even installed a new screen. Then I realised using a Wii or Wii U, I could play House of the Dead, Ghost Squad, and a myriad of other good shooting games on a flat screen so easily. Then it was just to big for me so I sold it at a loss.

was your machine working when you bought it?

Right, that's a bugger.

It's all in working order, CRT, Atomiswave and inclusive of the shotguns. I'm surprised being that it's assembly was 2006 it's in really good condition, no corrosion, burn or much dust and it's not ever been maintained by the owner.

I've only had the unit for 6 days. I've 2 joysticks and buttons on the way.

- - - Updated - - -

That video amp you linked to is not a j-pac, be aware. And it, or an actual j-pac, won't get you 15kHz video, which i'm assuming is what the CRT will need. If so, try this guide.

You probably will need a video amp, remember, and the Jpac is a good choice for that. I've never actually used one, so can't speak to how many joystick/button inputs the j-pac has, but it does have a few. Or about any audio capabilites. PC Speakers are also a good option for that. You can get a used 2.1 system for next to nothing and just decase the tweeters if required.

Cheers buttersoft,

Ok that's that's I was thinking. the card and or cards I listed do support automatic conversion to 15khz CVGA and do state they are geared specifically for MAME PC.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000141310730.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.f2ef172720t1jZ&algo_pvid=7325698f-abd3-425a-aa68-275e669492b0&algo_expid=7325698f-abd3-425a-aa68-275e669492b0-21&btsid=1ca79975-b860-4d5a-9b1a-08c154229e6e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_52

*udate: I had noticed this card above doesn't provide a conversion or 15khz sync.

Having read your guide and regarding GroovyMame this will work as stated under MAME DOS fine with ARCMON.

I'll grab this card and give that a go, however the other VGA to CGA card options do convert the signal to 15khz so it doesn't limit the available options regarding emulation bottlenecks.

* So in the end I'll try both. I'll purchase both the VGA/CGA converter locally and import the PCtoJAMMA.

^I was thinking as have read to just use a cheap 2.1 audio amplifier from Aliexpress.

This is the point though. I don't see the harm using the existing JAMMA audio path to the internal amplifier as it is.

As stated it seems the least intrusive path to converting this arcade and I can just continue to use the Atomiswave or add a Naomi 2, maybe an MVS for the hell of it. The best of both worlds.

I could just use the above card and it's a one step/device procedure.

Gents, seeing it's only $22 I feel I will give this ago, it can't hurt.

The other card I was looking at to do the job does the same thing and is geared for MAME and sold by an Aussie arcade parts supplier, just minus the audio support.

https://www.austinamusements.com.au/monitor-converter-boards/vga-to-cga-converter-board.html

The only thing I'll end up pulling potentially is just all the wiring to the coinbox mech.

Either way, I'm going to start installing the joysticks, buttons and encoders and finalize the research to convert the shotguns. While I'm waiting for the "JAMMA to Pc" and other parts to arrive.

If the wait get's the better of me I will probably also just buy the above VGA to CGA card too as it's soo cheap.

Also thanks for the link to the guide I'm going to read it properly now.

Edited by Slippery Pickle