Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My brief introduction to AA

Hello,

my name is Shannon and I’m an a̶l̶c̶o̶h̶o̶l̶i̶c̶ Arcade junkie, Damn wrong AA site.

Anyway, the habit started out small enough.

1727598732_miniarcade.thumb.jpg.d11149a1b8ba610693a83189a15bedda.jpg

1819218996_miniconsoles.thumb.jpg.754e8f354e0c4f893b7999c00f4c3094.jpg

However, it quickly blew out and developed into a much larger problem within a year.

arcade1.thumb.jpg.3e73bfae788cd60d582cc99fbcc9d06e.jpg

arcade2.jpg.571fd989962ea208c7e6a42a7ac9f618.jpg

arcade3.thumb.jpg.9159944410d05f1ee7bec8e5f28c39b5.jpg

In Short, I’m getting withdrawals and looking for my next fix.

With all jokes aside, I guess I should give a proper introduction for the good people of this site to get to know me better, and most importantly I’ll keep it short and sweet ;)

My name is Shannon Howell, I’m 45 years old, I was born in Whyalla , South Australia.

I’m an awkwardly shy person, I’m agoraphobic as well as being social phobic, so I tend to not go anywhere or do anything really, and like all losers I have no friends, Well I do, I’m just not a very good one to them.

Twice a year I can go for my loan and with a little bit of savings and have about $3000-$3500 to spend, $2000-$2500 If I don’t save up until the loan. So, at the beginning of January as well as the beginning of July is when I begin to look for a machine to buy.

My end game it to simply have an Arcade room and maybe at least two pinball machines

My history in gaming or lack thereof is as follows:

1970’s

My earliest memories of seeing an arcade for the first time would have been about 1978/79-time frame, I’m pretty sure I was living at either plympton or kilkenny, South Australia. My eldest brother asked if I wanted to go see a new game that was at the shops called space invaders, it was a white cocktail version, I distinctly remember noticing the colour cellophane on the monitor.

1980’s

It was the early 80’s perhaps 82 and I was living in Smithfield plains and my parent got the whole family the Atari 2600 for Christmas. I remember having Frogger, Surround , Outlaw , asteroids and so on.

I’m pretty sure the Smithfield Plains shops had a frogger upright at the front, or at least it looked like a Gremlin cabinet.

Around about the mid-eighties, I only went once to Downtown with my brothers and although I never played any games, I was totally mesmerized by my first experience at an arcade, the only Game I remembered was Moon Patrol.

In my entire life I have never paid to play on an arcade machine, let alone even play on one until sometime in the late eighties, my brother, once again paid for me to go to an all-night session at Elizabeth, I think it was Timezone but don’t quote me on it.

The First ever Arcade I played on was The Star Wars sit down machine, and the only ones I remembered from that night was A.P.B and Gauntlet.

Going to a friend's friend house in 85 got me my first glimpse of a C64 in action, I think he was playing Rambo on it and Wow, I was blown away from it and it led me down the path to wanting a computer. A 1987 Amiga advert sealed the deal, and by 1990 I had got myself an amiga 500 from Radio Rentals, obviously through the help of my parents.

1990’s

I pretty much stuck with my amiga through this period but the other machines I've owned were an Amiga Cd32, Amiga 600, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and finally a PlayStation.

2000’s

It was About 2003 when I first got my Pc, I got a Wii in 2008 and a Ps3 in 2009.

The things I have now are two Wii’s, Wii U, Xbox one s, Ps4, Pc, Nintendo Classic Mini, Super Nintendo Classic Mini, C64 mini, PlayStation Classic, ¼ Scale Pac Man, 12” Centipede, 12” Tempest.

My Arcade Machines

Lai Dragon's Lair Cabinet; 1942 game board, Machine boots up and plays but takes about 15 minuets for the screen to brighten up enough, around Christmas 2018 I had it on for more than half an hour and noticed an electrical burning smell emanating from it and I haven't turned it back on since. I paid $500 for it on July 2018.

Atari San Francisco Rush; machine boots up and plays, the force feedback motor doesn't work or isn't there, I’m not sure as I have yet to buy the security hex key to look at it. The gearbox recently started to play up and now I’m unable to go into second gear, I paid $900 for it on July 2018.

Chinese Made Centipede from Arcade Rewind: meh, what’s there to say it looks decent enough I guess, I just wished they got the control panel like the real one has. I paid $1500 for it on August 2018.

Taito Defender Cabinet; Final Fight game installed, Not working, When I went to buy it the guy put it on and it booted up quick, the monitor was bright and clear and after about a minute the monitor shut off and the game was still running, I think that’s called running blind. He looked perplexed by it and turned it off at the mains and when he tried to turn it back on nothing worked, I thought it might just be a power supply and told him that and asked would he take $50 off the price and I’ll take it as is, He said he couldn’t do that and said he will take $100 off it for me. I paid $850 for it on January 2019.

Taito Space Chaser; Silk Worm game installed, Working, the only problem is the monitor is in a horizontal position as the game requires but the bezel is in a vertical position, not sure if you can rotate the bezel. Also, I would like to try and get the right bezel or it and marquee and maybe put it back to the original game. I paid $1000 for it on January 2019.

Well, I guess that’s about all there is to say really, and if you managed to read it this far then you’re a far better person than I am, I would have bailed at the lame reference to alcohol anonymous at the beginning.

Hopefully I’ve conveyed pretty much what a pathetic person I am and once the disgusted of not wanting to see a repeat of my post, you’ll sell me your arcade machines at a heavily reduced cost just to get rid of me.

Kind Regards Shan

Fantastic intro mate, welcome aboard

Sure you'll fit in here

Thank you for the warm welcome mate, as long as this site comes in XXL, I'm sure I'll fit in.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice intro, best I've seen for a while.

Welcome to AA.

It's going to be all downhill from here on end, but I appreciate the warm reception.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Sharing is caring, Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Ditto on that.

Dgsully intro was better though

- - - Updated - - -

Yep you’re in the right place. Losers r us. :lol Welcome you will fit right in Shannon

You mean I'm amongst likeminded creatines (wipes away tears of joy), I don't have to keep up this false facade of being popular and well liked? Noice :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, good read. Welcome to AA.

By the way, it's not a problem until you get your first pinball machine :)

I get what you're saying by what you're leaving out, " it's not a problem until you get your first (10) pinball machine(s)"

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to AA there`s plenty of friends here you don't have to meet :)

who knows, maybe someday I might get a friend on here I don't have to meet, and I can finally get rid of and loose the imaginary ones.

but thanks for the warm welcome...potential friend. :D