Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 15 call for ideas

MGL 15 is planned to kick off Sunday 17th of June.

We've already had a fairly detailed discussion at the end of the last MGL, so we really just need consensus on a few things. I will not vote, but use my vote as a tie breaker if needed.

Just need everyone who plans to play in MGL 15 to post in here on what they think on the following points:

1. Number of games, 6, 8 or 12?

2. Keep the weekly game overlap (y/n)? So that would be either a 7, 9 or 13 week tournament

3. Use MAME Default DIPs or play with TG DIP Settings?

4. Number of games each person can nominate? Currently it's 5 - but it was suggested maybe only 3 if we go to a shorter competition.

I plan to only keep this discussion open for a week, or 10 days at the max and then we'll call for game nominations for the remaining time.

If you have any other suggestions that I've missed, make them as quickly as possible so that everyone can have their say.

And lastly, any one with some graphic design skills - if you'd like to make a banner for MGL15, feel free to post it in here and we'll pick the one deemed the best.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. I wouldn't mind trying 8.

2. Whatever everyone else wants.

3. Default preferred, but I think it should be more of a common sense thing on a per game basis rather than a rule.

4. Whatever everyone else wants.

1. I'd go for 6. Think that might make it really competitive.

2. Keep the overlap.

3. Definitely TG dips. It's great to see the WRs fall officially during the comp.

4. 5 seems fine even though I probably wouldn't end up using them all. No norms of games played in the previous tournament.

4. 5 seems fine even though I probably wouldn't end up using them all. No norms of games played in the previous tournament.

Yes, forgot to say - no noms. of previous games is a given as has been the way for some time now :)

1. 8 games

2. keep overlap

3. Mame defaults

4. 5 noms / person

personal likes / desires

A. absolutely true fair dinkum, out of the hat, non adjusted random - if 8 shooters come up in a row that's random and reflects what has been nominated

B. games that have never been in any MGL before, (but that you have played and are, in your opinion, good) for variety and turning up unheard of gems.

A. absolutely true fair dinkum, out of the hat, non adjusted random - if 8 shooters come up in a row that's random and reflects what has been nominated

You have to let this go FP, as we have explained, sometimes mods need to make minor adjustments........and again, ALL games are random in MGL:)

4. Don't know really - not sure how the nominations actually work.

This is simply the number of games each player suggests - in the past, everyone was allowed, but not required to, submit 5 games that they would like to see come up in the tournament.

It was suggested that if we run a shorter contest that the number of nominations each person could make be cut down to 3 choices.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

B. games that have never been in any MGL before, (but that you have played and are, in your opinion, good) for variety and turning up unheard of gems.

A. Point taken, but given the variety of games suggested in the past, I can't see the moderation would be needed on the random games. The chances of this happening is just so slim it's not worth thinking about :)

B. I guess this is subjective. e.g. I don't think Turtles had ever been played before in the MGL (wasn't that your nomination?). I have come to love that game, Pelly is the MAME WR holder for it, but I think the majority of people hated it :lol

Slow morning at work, I'm gonna have a game of Turtles now while I wait for more customers to open up. Your record is going down Pelly...... eventually. :p

• Administrators

1 - I'm not fussed but if it IS kept to 6 games I'd like a faster turn-around between MGL's.

2 - Definitely keep this. To me it's by far been the best thing we ever introduced.

3 - The only reason I like TG settings is for records. If people don't like them I'm not fussed. I'd practice on TG settings and then school people on mame settings in the MGL :p

4 - Again not fussed although if it is reduced I might get more than 1 of my noms come up in the 6-7 mgls I've played :confused:

Cheers,

Brad

1. 8, my wife may get upset if it goes longer.

2. Yes, for the original reason, that you always have a choice between 2 games at any one time, in case you don't like one or need to mix it up.

3. Use 80's local fish'n'chip shop dips. What most machines were set to... but may be hard to define? The majority of players aren't going for records and would make games like TUTANKHAM playable. I want to have fun not frustration.

4. 5 games, not played in the last 3 MGL's, more than one nomination for a particular game adds weight to that nomination.

Shorter comps more often, maybe half the time between mgls ? 8 games with overlap, definitely no to Tg dips. 3 nominations would be my vote.

Agree with this, not to fussed with the dips as long as we all are playing the same:)

Edit: and bring back the Trophy's :D

Trophies cool, but lets find a sponsor to agree to pay for them... Wasn't something I could afford to do in any of the comps, sadly. Not sure how John is placed on that front.

Speaking of which, gameroom offerred a prize for the winner of mgl14, so Rob still has to collect on that one :)

3. Use 80's local fish'n'chip shop dips. What most machines were set to... but may be hard to define? The majority of players aren't going for records and would make games like TUTANKHAM playable. I want to have fun not frustration.

If we are going to go the default DIPs route which I think MAME tries to emulate more or less, then I'll need to do a search when a game comes up to see if the game documentation is available. I take it that KLOV doesn't list default DIPs? Never looked at their site :unsure If not, using the DIPs as per the latest version of MAME is probably as close as you'll get to the original DIP settings. It's no biggie either way, doesn't take long to do a quick Google search.

I know you advise to keep things simple, but I have no objection if people want to nominate a game as either:

Bump 'n Jump (MAME)

or

Bump 'n Jump (TG)

to specify which DIPs should be used. Obviously for the last tournament you would have specified TUTANKHAM as Mame defaults (assuming you tried TG settings first to see how unplayable it was).

If we are going to go the default DIPs route which I think MAME tries to emulate more or less, then I'll need to do a search when a game comes up to see if the game documentation is available. I take it that KLOV doesn't list default DIPs? Never looked at their site :unsure If not, using the DIPs as per the latest version of MAME is probably as close as you'll get to the original DIP settings. It's no biggie either way, doesn't take long to do a quick Google search.

I know you advise to keep things simple, but I have no objection if people want to nominate a game as either:

Bump 'n Jump (MAME)

or

Bump 'n Jump (TG)

to specify which DIPs should be used. Obviously for the last tournament you would have specified TUTANKHAM as Mame defaults (assuming you tried TG settings first to see how unplayable it was).

Dips can be found on TG's site for tournament settings, point settings, etc, but Mame defaults not so easy to find... Klov lists a complicated pin diagram from what I could see. Basically for Mame defaults, just load a game into a recent version of Mame and look at defaults.

Dunno about different dips for different games / leaving it up to the nominator, that's just complicating things. There's already a thread for setting records against TG dips, for me the MGL should be about fun.... and played at 'fun' settings.

Basically for Mame defaults, just load a game into a recent version of Mame and look at defaults.

I'll just need to set up a new Mame directory, my DIPs are all over the shop, but mainly from games where I've submitted to TG and used their settings.

I do believe (though I'm not 100%) that the Mame Dev team try to make the the default DIPs the same as the the original games, but that depends on people providing them with the original game manuals where they are available, which is why you'll get different DIP settings between versions of Mame. Using the latest Mame version should be the closest thing to getting the default settings as you would find at the local Fish 'n Chip shop (depending on how money hungry the machine owner was of course) :lol

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

4. how about mandatory couple unusual games per mgl

Trouble with this is deciding on what is "unusual" I guess. I'm open to ideas, but basically you'd need a list of the "usual" games, and again, we start to get into the complicating the tournament area.

Maybe we could do something like this in between MGL's, a mini 2 week comp with 5 or so games, but nominations are only games that have never ever been played in the MGL?

Trophies cool, but lets find a sponsor to agree to pay for them... Wasn't something I could afford to do in any of the comps, sadly. Not sure how John is placed on that front.

I'm far from having money to throw away atm, but the trophy I was looking at providing for the latest Kong Off is only around $15. A customer of mine is a trophy distributor, so if I can possibly try and do a deal with them (offer them some free courier services) in exchange for the trophies... I know someone designed a round logo that could be printed up for the trophies in an older thread, if someone can located that or even better design one for each MGL that would be helpful.

I don't mind providing one for 1st place, but if we want them for 2nd and 3rd place if would be good if everyone could maybe chuck in $2 or so each.

I'm far from having money to throw away atm, but the trophy I was looking at providing for the latest Kong Off is only around $15. A customer of mine is a trophy distributor, so if I can possibly try and do a deal with them (offer them some free courier services) in exchange for the trophies... I know someone designed a round logo that could be printed up for the trophies in an older thread, if someone can located that or even better design one for each MGL that would be helpful.

I don't mind providing one for 1st place, but if we want them for 2nd and 3rd place if would be good if everyone could maybe chuck in $2 or so each.

Here's the Logo Spacies did it :)

MGLLogo.jpg.1e98352d612bba94505de2191f2c3f3d.jpg

1. 8 games....sometimes interest trails off with 12

2. Yeah keep the 2 game overlap

3. Default Dips for fun....we will still of course be playing competitively as it is a competition, but NOT playing TG settings might discourage some from spending so long trying to leech, no sheep stations no point leeching.

4. Ummm what was 4 again? :redface ahhh just checked....yeah I suppose 3 if we are playing 8 games.

Trophies...yeah they were great :) but we also used to have a closer mix in the scores, now it seems we have a few players with much more skill/time/patience so they are up the pointy end and then there is a gap to everyone else. Unless that changes then I'm unsure people will want to donate to buy them a trophy :)

How about official MGL trophy pictures that you can collect and insert in your sig? no cost other than time to design, and still the prestige and recognition of winning. (Yeah I know real trophies are better, I'm glad I already have a couple :))

Edit.... Hey wait up, what's that little trophy under my name? is that from a past MGL or something else? LOL yeah see it's a great idea, everyone notices them :rolleyes

Edited by Rat

How about official MGL trophy pictures that you can collect and insert in your sig? no cost other than time to design, and still the prestige and recognition of winning. (Yeah I know real trophies are better, I'm glad I already have a couple :))

This is a great idea... I have a couple from past MGL's and they sort of gather dust in my garage.

But a trophy icon for first, second, or third in any previous MGL's sort of makes you stand out a bit... marks you as a player :) seeing as AA has gone the way of icons for every-damn-thing lately, why not this ? Would mean a lot more than some of the others like Tagger, Experience Points, or any of the rest of the icons I don't understand, and don't really want to either.

Dkong... super mod, how hard would this be to do ?