Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

KONG OFF 2011 - KING OF AA [play here!]

http://i52.tinypic.com/10cvkv9.jpg

Welcome to the Aussie Arcade KONG OFF 2011! Two weeks of Donkey Kong madness, from today March 27th @7pm, to April 10th @7pm.

For anyone new to Mame League play here @ Aussie Arcade, it's important to make sure you are playing with the right MAME ROM, and also to have your dip switch settings set correctly. The Kong Off 2011 Mame Rom and dip switch settings are below:

MAME ROM: dkong.zip (US Set 1)

DIP Switch Settings:

Lives 3

Bonus Life 7000

When you have a score you would like to post, screen dump it or take a photo, and post it in this thread along with your score. Please make sure your score can be seen clearly in the photo. Post and update your score as many times as you like - we like to see progress scores climbing as the tourney progresses. A progress scores ladder will be maintained in this first post as the Kong Off progresses.

Have fun, and good luck!

PROGRESS SCORES:

1up: 391,300

Kane: 329,800

Pelly: 226,800

Wingtipvortex: 226,500

spl: 209,700

Mamejay: 186,300

Jesder: 157,300

wweumina: 139,500

Visy: 137,200

Hollo: 125,600

Spartan: 121,800

Jammasized: 117,200

John73: 100,700

Dkong: 98,800

Taverner: 72,900

Dezbaz: 62,300

Edited by Jed

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First effort 14800

Okay as promised, I'll start off and be the current champion :rolleyes

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/dk14800.png

I had a couple of practice games last week and did better than this, but for some reason tonight it seems like it is a hell of a lot harder than I remember it :cry

I might have to see if I can find a YouTube tutorial or something :realmad:

EDIT:

Updated score in new post bellow.

Couldn't let John have the glory for too long... And I also wanted to be the champion even if just for a short period. ;)

First time ever past those stinking elevators, and a total of:

30,000 even

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/Hollowcell/DK%20Score/DKScore.jpg

This game kicks my arse! :o

Edited by Hollo
New post with new score.

Here's my first sessions results, found my Kong mojo in the third game.

Hope I don't peak too early, still 13 days to go...

:o I only need to improve by an average of 20,000 per day to beat you

Read some stuff, watched some videos and I still suck :cry

I agree!!! TOP SCORE Kane:cool: Now my finger is pulled out:lol

What, are you saying the pressure from John and I wasn't enough!? :laugh:

Seriously Kane, great score! There is no way I am going to be able to touch that in 13 days (unless total neglect for family, work and friends kicks in). My goal is to crack the 100k mark and that's it - if I can go from total novice to over 100k I'll be wrapped.

Can't wait to see some of the members who haven't posted yet!

I hope some more people decide to join in, especially if they are worse than me :lol

I think I'll aim for 50,000 as my goal and to not come dead last :redface

Tip. Don't aim for any score as you will hit a brick wall. Work on getting past the levels where you find yourself crashing:) And be relaxed. I think one of my 150K games was when me and Dkong were talking towards the end.

Tip. Don't aim for any score as you will hit a brick wall. Work on getting past the levels where you find yourself crashing:) And be relaxed. I think one of my 150K games was when me and Dkong were talking towards the end.

And throwing down beers like DK does with barrels :D

Had a decent go, bit of a struggle trying to get the old DK moves back, but I will give it my best shot to be an also-ran :)

Ah, that heart in the mouth, full-panic moment when you lose the hammer just as a barrel is pixels away from you... the leap of faith on the elevators screen to shorten the time to complete the level... the flying barrels on the first board that get more and more manic...What a great game this is, too easy to forget how fun it is :D

EDIT: Ignore this score - better one in new post.

New score:

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af207/Hollowcell/DK%20Score/DKScore3.jpg

The youngest wants in on the action. :)

Getting serious now guys... Brought the Mame stuff down stairs for easier access, and now I am finding the elevator and conveyor stages pretty easy - it's the barrel stages which are getting me.... Any tips for getting those barrels down the ladders at the right time?

Edited by Hollo

Geez you're really leaving me for dead now hollo :(

I have managed to improve to 38900 but it's pretty frustrating this game. It's like Golf, just when you think you have it worked out it bites you in the ass :realmad:

I still am a way off finishing my mame cab, so am playing on my laptop - don't know if that would make the game easier/harder/the same. I had a quick game with when I had my mame controls together on the weekend and the 8 way joystick doesn't seem to make it any easier.

One more quick game, then I should get back to work :redface

Geez you're really leaving me for dead now hollo :(

I have managed to improve to 38900 but it's pretty frustrating this game. It's like Golf, just when you think you have it worked out it bites you in the ass :realmad:

I still am a way off finishing my mame cab, so am playing on my laptop - don't know if that would make the game easier/harder/the same. I had a quick game with when I had my mame controls together on the weekend and the 8 way joystick doesn't seem to make it any easier.

One more quick game, then I should get back to work :redface

8 way stick will only make it harder, DK is a 4-way game. Switchable sticks pretty important for this game, not vital, but will make things less prone to mistakes when the heat is on.

8 way stick will only make it harder, DK is a 4-way game. Switchable sticks pretty important for this game, not vital, but will make things less prone to mistakes when the heat is on.

Yep, completely agree. After switching to 4-way it did make a fair bit of difference. I have Sanwa sticks with square gates in my panel and it's really simple to switch them - no need to disconnect/unbolt them or anything, just a matter of changing the gate direction.

Yep, completely agree. After switching to 4-way it did make a fair bit of difference. I have Sanwa sticks with square gates in my panel and it's really simple to switch them - no need to disconnect/unbolt them or anything, just a matter of changing the gate direction.

Hollo that's what I want! I have switchable Sanwas too, but every time I want to change them I gotta unhook / swing out the control panel, and undo 4 screws p/joystick, rotate the dial to 4 way, screw back up, fold back control panel / hook up again etc etc and it's quite a :boring: of a process.

Could you provide the model # of yours ? Much appreciated :)