Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Kong Off IV - AA 2016 Edition Official Thread

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/MGLKO4_2016_large_zps0pdtsa37.png

~ King of AA 2016 ~

Leaderboard

Check back here for daily score updates

[table=width: 600, class: grid, align: left]

[tr]

[td]Place[/td]

[td]Player[/td]

[td]Score[/td]

[td]Behind Next Best[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]muscleandfitness[/td]

[td]700,600[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2[/td]

[td]kane[/td]

[td]425,400[/td]

[td]-275,200[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]3[/td]

[td]Mameshane[/td]

[td]354,900[/td]

[td]70,500[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]4[/td]

[td]John73[/td]

[td]230,900[/td]

[td]124,000[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]5[/td]

[td]magrinder[/td]

[td]219,200[/td]

[td]11,700[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]6[/td]

[td]bigredbird[/td]

[td]194,900[/td]

[td]24,300[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]7[/td]

[td]RMacauley[/td]

[td]122,800[/td]

[td]68,200[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]8[/td]

[td]Jed[/td]

[td]93,900[/td]

[td]28,900[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]9[/td]

[td]JustAnotherRat[/td]

[td]52,100[/td]

[td]41,800[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]10[/td]

[td]bondy[/td]

[td]49,700[/td]

[td]2,400[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]11[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Most Improved

This is a secondary competition for the most improved player. If you have submitted a score to Twin Galaxies, AA, MARP or DonkeyKongForum then we will use your existing high score as the basis. If you haven't submitted a score to any of these or if your PB is less than 100,000, then you will be given a bench mark score of 100,000 to improve upon. The winner will be the player with the best % improvement. e.g. if you best was 100,000 and you score 150,000 then your % improvement will be 150%.

If you are planning on participating in this event, please PM me if possible so I can dig out your personal best score, or better still, just PM me with your PB and where it is recorded (AA, DKF, TG or MARP). If you don't have an existing score with any of the sources mentioned, but do know what your PB is - please play nicely and PM me with your PB. Remember this is for fun, and you are cheating yourself as much as everyone else if you purposefully say you've never played before but are a capable player who has scored 500k but have never submitted your score to a high score keeping site. If unsure of your exact PB, then just give an estimate.

[tr]

[td]Place[/td]

[td]Player[/td]

[td]Prev High[/td]

[td]Best AAKO16[/td]

[td]Improvement[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]bigredbird[/td]

[td]149,100[/td]

[td]194,900[/td]

[td]45,800 / 130.72%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2[/td]

[td]John73[/td]

[td]266,000[/td]

[td]230,900[/td]

[td]-35,100 / 86.80%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]3[/td]

[td]856,500[/td]

[td]700,600[/td]

[td]-155,900 / 81.79%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]4[/td]

[td]Jed[/td]

[td]117,500[/td]

[td]93,900[/td]

[td]-23,600 / 79.91%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]5[/td]

[td]Mameshane[/td]

[td]457,500[/td]

[td]354,900[/td]

[td]-120,600 / 77.57%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]6[/td]

[td]kane[/td]

[td]660,000[/td]

[td]425,400[/td]

[td]-234,600 / 64.45%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]7[/td]

[td]magrinder[/td]

[td]360,000[/td]

[td]219,200[/td]

[td]-140,800 / 60.89%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]8[/td]

[td]RMacualey[/td]

[td]205,600[/td]

[td]122,800[/td]

[td]-82,800 / 59.73%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]9[/td]

[td]JustAnotherRat[/td]

[td]100,000[/td]

[td]52,100[/td]

[td]-47,900 / 52.10%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]10[/td]

[td]bondy[/td]

[td]100,000[/td]

[td]49,700[/td]

[td]-50,300 / 49.70%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]11[/td]

[td]Pelly[/td]

[td]323,600[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]-/%[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]12[/td]

[td]Barra[/td]

[td]1,014,600[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]- / 0%[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The Rules/How To Play:

1. Game Settings

If using MAME you will need to use:

- The Donkey Kong [uS Set 1] ROM Set - dkong.zip

- Lives 3

- Bonus Life 7,000

Arcade users please set your DIP Switches to reflect the above settings

2. The Prizes

1st Place - $10US AA Account Upgrade (Thanks to @magrinder)

2nd Place -

3rd Place -

Most Improved -

1st Place - $50 AA Account Upgrade (Thanks to @Barra)

2nd Place - $10 AA Account Upgrade (Thanks to Me @John73 :P)

3rd Place -

n.b. the prizes will change if others donate a higher prize than that that has already been generously donated.

PM me if you would like to donate a prize, it doesn't have to be much! Maybe offer donate $ to AA in the name of the winner to upgrade their account.

3. Tournament Running Times

Start 6:30pm Thu 18 February(AEST)

Finish 6:30pm Sun 6 Marchl (AEST)

4. How To Enter

Just post a screenshot (photo or screen capture - F12 in MAME) in this thread. Please make a new post for each score, listing your score as the Title or first line of your post. There is no need to record games via camera or with WolfMame. Post as often as you like so that we can all see how you improved over the 2 week competition.

5. Play Fair

This tournament is run on an honesty basis, this means for the duration of the tournament:

* Only submit scores using the specified settings (3 lives, 7000k bonus life)

* No using of save states to either practice or for submitted scores

* No pausing during a game

6. Need help?

*Feel free to ask a question if you are having a problem with a certain part of the game

*Check out the previous AA Kong Off threads, lots of hints and tips are there

*Check out http://www.donkeykongforum.com - the absolute holy grail of information on mastering this game

*See if you can check out one of the players who are live streaming (see below), you may learn something (or you may pick up their bad habits)

*Unlike normal MGL games, I encourage everyone to share their knowledge of this game from day one

7. Live Streamers

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

[tr]

[td]Player[/td]

[td]Stream Address[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]John73[/td]

[td]http://www.twitch.tv/MrBumpNJump[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Barra[/td]

[td]http://www.twitch.tv/barranz[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Mameshane[/td]

[td]http://www.twitch.tv/mameshane[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]magrinder[/td]

[td]http://www.twitch.tv/magrinder[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]http://www.twitch.tv/muscleandfitness[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

If you want your name added to the list, please leave your details in here or PM me. You can "follow" streamers on Twitch and you will be notified when they go live via email. Please be aware however, that many players who live stream will also have their microphone on - meaning you will hear what they say - bad language (which makes Baby Jesus cry by the way) is sometimes an issue, so either mute your volume if you are watching someone and you have delicate ears or if you have little people roaming around who you may not want to learn new phrases.

If you are planning on live streaming, please post a note message in this thread beforehand so that others who aren't following you will be alerted to your streaming event.

8. Anything else

Scores will be accepted from 6:30pm Thur 18 March.

Not sure of anything, post a question and you'll get an answer from someone.

Check back here for leaderboard updates and for also any changes to any rules.

Have Fun.

Kong On!

Edited by John73

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome stuff John, love it mate.

I like the idea of biggest improvement as well. People with high PBs are most likely going to win the high score contest, but guys with lower PBs will no doubt have the biggest improvement (only if they put the effort in!!) :P

Here's some tips I posted when DK was in the last MGL - http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/76159-FINISHED-MGL-26-Game-5-Donkey-Kong?p=946011#post946011

Game on!

Edit: my stream is http://www.twitch.tv/barranz (NSFW - those who have been in my stream know I curse up a blue streak....its the nature of the games!) ;)

We've had two prizes donated now, $50 AA Upgrade for the most improved player by Barra. $10 AA Upgrade for the 2nd most improved player by me (I'm struggling with cash flow atm, sorry people!). You can nominate a non AA upgrade prize if you like, but anything to keep this site cash positive is also a good thing and it means the winner doesn't have to empty their inbox and can upload heaps of pictures :) If any better prizes get donated, they'll obviously be added ahead of those already donated.

I'll be in. I have not played DK seriously since Year 11 and 12 days wagging periods and going to the Amusement centre... and that was eons ago. Best ever was around 200k but it was not the US Set. Maybe it was Crazy Kong or the Japanese set ?

@John73 I think I entered a score in one of the early Kong Offs, it was pretty crap, so I hope to improve on that using Barra's tips and dogged determination :)

This is a nice warm up for MGL, cool !

I've updated the first post with the scores that each player needs to improve upon. After reading a PM from JustAnotherRat, I've decided that those with a PB of less than 100,000 should start off the same as those who have no recorded scores - that being 100,000.

To those people who have yet to score 100,000 in DK, it can be a slog if you aren't naturally talented at the game like myself, but it is a very rewarding goal to shoot for in this DKO. Scoring 100,000 means you have beaten the dreaded 3rd elevator stage and doing that is a feat in itself for new players.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be in. I have not played DK seriously since Year 11 and 12 days wagging periods and going to the Amusement centre... and that was eons ago. Best ever was around 200k but it was not the US Set. Maybe it was Crazy Kong or the Japanese set ?

@John73 I think I entered a score in one of the early Kong Offs, it was pretty crap, so I hope to improve on that using Barra's tips and dogged determination :)

This is a nice warm up for MGL, cool !

Dare say it was Crazy Kong. I never played it much either back in the day and I'm 90% sure what I actually played was Crazy Kong - but that was 30 years ago. I actually half thought about incorporating a Crazy Kong track in as part of the comp, maybe next time. CK is a lot more forgiving to the new players and also has a hell of a lot less point pressing which is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

To be honest I don't play much DK these days but in the spirit of MGL I'll have a few attempts here and there purely for, as some on here would say, shits and giggles.

My PB and the only score for DK I have submitted anywhere from memory (I did check on TG just in case) is 205,600 from the AA kong off in 2012

I dusted off my DK cab, oiled up the joystick nice and slick and had a practice game and got 31k :088: Probably going to be mostly shits and not many giggles for me until I de-rust...

You can add my PB of 660k to the list, I'll likely be in neagtive improvement territory though...

I dusted off my DK cab, oiled up the joystick nice and slick and had a practice game and got 31k :088: Probably going to be mostly shits and not many giggles for me until I de-rust...

Yeah, better than the 8,500 I managed in my only game. Somehow I think giving 100k to improve from for noobs and such is a little hopeful !

Yeah, better than the 8,500 I managed in my only game. Somehow I think giving 100k to improve from for noobs and such is a little hopeful !

My first ever Kong Off, I scored over 100k and I was a complete and utter noob at DK - never ever made the pie screen BITD let alone getting through the 3rd elevators. The point of the 100,000 starting position is that it encourages new players to reach a goal and still gives the medium players a bit of a chance at winning the prize. If it was set at say 50,000 then I'm sure someone new could crack 100,000 for a 100% improvement. Meaning me for example would need to crack 500,000+ to win and players like Kane & Barra would be zero chance at the price due to their existing high scores - not that it would worry either them I don't think, Barra is a snowballs chance in hell at winning the most improved unless he gives Robbie Lakeman's HS a bit of nudge :)

My suggestion if you can, is watch either Barra or Mameshane play live, you will learn lots by just looking. And also re-read all of the tips from previous KO's.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's 6:30 so I'm playing! First attempt 192,600.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89382[/ATTACH]

He shoots, he scores! and takes the early lead :lol

Might try a quick game tonight, but nothing serious. Left for work at just after 5:30am and got home at 7:00pm - I'm well and truly buggered :(

@John73 - you haven't been to DKF in a while, have you?[emoji14]Wes Copeland now holds the arcade record @ 1,190,000. Dean still on top of the combined list with 1,206,800

Even if I equaled Dean's HS, that is only an ~18% increase

well u know what u need to do then barra. u need to obviously beat deans score[emoji14]

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

I'm late to this thread, but in on the DK. It's a game I always intend on improving on but never stay all that long with. I tend to get frustrated at the lack of personal improvement on the title. Most improved is a great contest idea.

I'll toss in $10 US via paypal to the prize pool too (however John wants to allocate: via prize money, combine it with his $10, some other prize combination or direct donation to AA. John: PM your paypal address here or at TG and I'll forward).

As for PB, I really am not sure what mine is. I suspect it's 303K on a cabinet, but whatever the IGB contest entry was may be higher (360ish maybe??), whenever that contest was. I'll have to look around before settling on 303K. I have not submitted on DK to TG or MARP.

@John73 - you haven't been to DKF in a while, have you? :P

Wes Copeland now holds the arcade record @ 1,190,000. Dean still on top of the combined list with 1,206,800

Even if I equaled Dean's HS, that is only an ~18% increase

I knew it was Robbie or Wes - too old, too tired and too lazy to look it up :P

EDIT: I should apologise to Wes I guess, pretty bad of me to not acknowledge the true champion :redface

- - - Updated - - -

well u know what u need to do then barra. u need to obviously beat deans score[emoji14]

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

The best thing to do is tell Barra that he can't do it - then you know he will :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm late to this thread, but in on the DK. It's a game I always intend on improving on but never stay all that long with. I tend to get frustrated at the lack of personal improvement on the title. Most improved is a great contest idea.

I'll toss in $10 US via paypal to the prize pool too (however John wants to allocate: via prize money, combine it with his $10, some other prize combination or direct donation to AA. John: PM your paypal address here or at TG and I'll forward).

As for PB, I really am not sure what mine is. I suspect it's 303K on a cabinet, but whatever the IGB contest entry was may be higher (360ish maybe??), whenever that contest was. I'll have to look around before settling on 303K. I have not submitted on DK to TG or MARP.

Thanks mate. Let me know when you work out your PB.

$10US is like gold to us with our crappy dollar - so I'll add you to the list in the most improved section - or do you want it to go to the overall winner? Doesn't worry me either way. Wait until the comp is over and I'll PM you with the details of how to Paypal to AA directly.

Thanks mate. Let me know when you work out your PB.

$10US is like gold to us with our crappy dollar - so I'll add you to the list in the most improved section - or do you want it to go to the overall winner? Doesn't worry me either way. Wait until the comp is over and I'll PM you with the details of how to Paypal to AA directly.

Any manner that supports AA works. I'd honestly prefer to leave it to you to distribute in any manner preferred.

I forgot to inquire: are we point pressing (jumping at Kong's feet, re-jumping barrels) or running boards? Either way is fine with me, I just want to be sure that I'm compliant in approach with others.

Dusting off my mame controller and twitch account now (twitch account is magrinder if anyone wants to learn questionable techniques and likely decrease their scores!)...

0007.png.bac26ea3beb1d8dc9c49a991edcaeffc.png

Should have beaten Kane's score - but brain farted and also did little point pressing because I was smoking ciggies and having a drink while playing :D Pretty happy with that as a first game when I haven't touched this game in pretty much months.

- - - Updated - - -

Any manner that supports AA works. I'd honestly prefer to leave it to you to distribute in any manner preferred.

I forgot to inquire: are we point pressing (jumping at Kong's feet, re-jumping barrels) or running boards? Either way is fine with me, I just want to be sure that I'm compliant in approach with others.

Dusting off my mame controller and twitch account now (twitch account is magrinder if anyone wants to learn questionable techniques and likely decrease their scores!)...

Yep point pressing is fine. For new players - there is plenty of info on point pressing (bumping up your score by humping Kong's leg and barrel grouping) - but you'll get your score higher initially if you just run boards (get thought the game as quickly as possible). Unless you can successfully negotiate the 3rd elevator stage, point pressing will do nothing but get you a tiny bit closer to breaking 100k.

I'll add you to the list of twitch users tomorrow.

14 hours into AADKO16.... only 394 hours left to get your score in :)

Close at the top for the moment.

[tr]

[td]Place[/td]

[td]Player[/td]

[td]Score[/td]

[td]Behind Next Best[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]kane[/td]

[td]192,600[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2[/td]

[td]John73[/td]

[td]191,000[/td]

[td]1,600[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]3[/td]

[td]bigredbird[/td]

[td]185,100[/td]

[td]5,900[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]4[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

- - - Updated - - -

One big improver in the first 24 hours also

[tr]

[td]Place[/td]

[td]Player[/td]

[td]Prev High[/td]

[td]New High[/td]

[td]Improvement[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]bigredbird[/td]

[td]149,100[/td]

[td]185,100[/td]

[td]36,000 / 24.14%[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

I had forgotten that this had started. I'll have to fire up the cabinet..

I saw Barra get online earlier today and thought I'd be able to watch and learn what I should but can't do and it took me much longer than it should have to realise that he was playing Donkey Kong Junior and not Donkey Kong.... that is an indication of how bad I am at this game.