Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

FREE Steam keys and online comp - play my game DOGSTAR and give me feedback!

Hey AA,

In the interests of getting a pool of gamers from AA to provide me with feedback, thoughts, and suggestions for my Arcade game: Dogstar [ http://store.steampowered.com/app/739890/Dogstar/ ] I'm going to run a score-based competition for AA users, and I'll provide anyone who wants to participate in the comp and submit some scores with a FREE steam key.

All I ask in return is you play the game and submit at least 3 scores (it has a built in online high score table) using your AA name.

Anyone who is interested in playing, please send me a PM and I'll take your name, and send you a steam key for a free copy of Dogstar once the comp kicks off. if I get enough people interested in being a part, I'll be posting a comp thread shortly.

Cheers,

Jed

Hey AA,

In the interests of getting a pool of gamers from AA to provide me with feedback, thoughts, and suggestions for my Arcade game: Dogstar [ http://store.steampowered.com/app/739890/Dogstar/ ] I'm going to run a score-based competition for AA users, and I'll provide anyone who wants to participate in the comp and submit some scores with a FREE steam key.

All I ask in return is you play the game and submit at least 3 scores (it has a built in online high score table) using your AA name.

Anyone who is interested in playing, please send me a PM and I'll take your name, and send you a steam key for a free copy of Dogstar once the comp kicks off. if I get enough people interested in being a part, I'll be posting a comp thread shortly.

Cheers,

Jed

I have been keen to give it a go. Count me in

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

I didn’t realise a dog Star was a real thing. What would it take to get this on tvOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Yeah, the Dogstar is Sirius in the constellation of Canis Major. (astronomy nerd) you can see that constellation in my branding screen of the game. My idea is was the hero of this game comes from Sirius to clear out our Solar System of the Alien Menace.

That's why the hero travels the levels to rescue everyone from Jupiter - Mars - Earth - and finally Venus where the bad guys base is.

The game is just for PC at the moment. I plan to make builds for other platforms but not just yet.

I'll have a whirl. You should of called it Jedsteroids...

heh ;) it definitely owes a lot to asteroids deluxe, space wars, galaga-esque bonus stages plus bomberman with the mass destruction elements. Add in the timer-based game elements like Juno First, and 2P co-op and campaign and there's at least 1/2 dozen of my favourite games I took cues from.

added to the list, thanks kane.

Edited by Jed

I've now sent steam keys to everyone who wanted one.

I'm happy to send keys to AA members who want to play the game and register some scores shoot me a PM and join in.

I'm interested in getting as broad a range of feedback on both single player and 2-player. This project took me 18 months and is the first game I've ever tried to develop (and I also had to learn programming) so it's by no means finished and still remains a pretty demanding game, not for the faint-hearted!

Please use your AA handle when you upload scores. Note: you can only upload scores that best your current score recorded for the handle you register.

A quick overview of Dogstar:

SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN (high scores)

please start playing on regular level, Jupiter 1. Brutal skill level will kick your arse! Brutal is only for experienced Dogstar players to provide a lasting challenge. The ultimate aim for awesome players is to complete the game on Brutal, in the Veteran mission (2nd loop through the game) Some of the AI in Dogstar will evolve and take on new abilities the deeper you get into the game. You can choose to start the game at Jupiter or Mars at either the saucer or Batbot stages.

every main level in Dogstar is a 3 minute stay alive, destroy, rescue, and escape mission of increasing difficulty.

Destroy the bad guys (saucers, motherships, Batbots, Batboss) and pick up the comrades they drop. If you use the main powerup (glowing red ball) your next two shots will be massively powerful and rip through everything they hit, multiplying the comrades you can collect from their destruction. Line up enemies in lots of 3 or 5 for chain kills and bonuses. Rescue 15x comrades and the end of level stargate will open. You can choose to end the level whenever you want once you have the stargate open. But you must escape the level inside of 3 minutes (180s) to advance to the next level. Your ultimate aim is to make it to Venus for the final showdown, kill the main horde, kill the bosses, and blow up Venus, thereby saving our solar system from the alien menace.

you have a 5-hit shield. If a large enemy runs into you they will usually destroy you instantly. You can bounce off other enemies and large asteroids and crates, but you will take shield damage. You can bounce off the planet harmlessly so you can use it for manoevers. You can restore your shield to 100% by picking up a shield pickup.

You can get more powerups by 1/ destroying the crates or asteroids or 2/ shooting the planet. every 10 shots on the planet will give you a new powerup. But you can only use the planet three times in this way per level. The main powerup is a smart weapon that will give you MORE of whatever you shoot it at. IE: shoot it at a lifestar you will get a 2UP instead of a 1UP, and same thing goes for every target. It will give you more. Otherwise known as: The MORB of destruction.

The 2nd main weapon is a rockbuster. A flashing small asteroid that when you shoot it will explode quickly outwards destroying everything in it's path. (try shooting this while powered up for a mega-explosion, and to craft a shield pickup)

Some enemies (Otto, and The Miner) can only be destroyed by a powered up shot. Your regular shots will bounce off them. These two enemies can also be used as WMD's (weapons of mass destruction) for screen clearing fun.

Each Planet has a bonus stage. This is a wave formation kill like Galaga bonus stages. Kill a wave for a bonus. Kill all enemies for large perfect bonus. Rescue all comrades for a comrade-perfect bonus. (very hard.)

Extra lives: I've balanced the difficulty by providing a lot of ways to get 1UP's. The green Orbs are instant 1UP, every lifestar destroyed (appears 3 times in a level for 5 seconds) is worth a 1UP to kill it. (destroy all three for the LUUUUUUke steam achievement) and also every 200k.

2 PLAYER:

There are a couple of local multiplayer modes.

2P co-op is a campaign for 2 players, Mission objectives are doubled in every level (30 comrades are needed to open the stargate) and you have a shared comrade total. You can also share lives: in every map screen either player can donate lives to the other player, keeping them in the game longer. If a player dies an loses his last man, he can rejoin at the map screen by donating lives to him. There is no friendly fire damage in co-op, but be careful of mass destruction weapons. These levels are 5 minutes instead of 3m.

2P deathmatch is pretty much SPACE WARS re-imagined with lots more enemies. You will die a lot from both your opponent, and the AI. You win the 8-bit trophy by being the player to reach 5 duel wins. Win a duel by either 1/ being the last man standing (15 deaths per level will lose you the duel) or the first person to collect 15 comrades and escape the stargate first. The stargate will only let a player pass through it if he has rescued 15 comrades. In deathmatch, you can choose the PLanet/Difficulty you want to start at. These levels are 5 minutes instead of 3m.

I wanted this game to have an Arcade game feel - IE there is always risk at every moment you are alive - so it's not an easy game at first, like most arcade games you need to practice at it to have success. learning to fly efficiently and manoever skillfully is one of the most important things.

There is also a lot hidden in Dogstar. Many of the conditions of these hidden things and bonuses are tied to steam achievements. If you are logged in to steam while playing, you will see achievements come up as you fulfil their conditions. There are 21 Steam achievements to collect.

There's also a single easter egg in the game that involves comets and comrades ;)

That's a lot of text.

I hope you enjoy playing :)

Edited by Jed

3390300 love the game @Jed I did get 3.7 mill but it crashed when I was uploading crap wifi signal very addictive asteroids and galaga on steroids

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Glad you enjoyed it and that is a great score !

When you say it crashed, what do you mean exactly ? As I've never had any reports of crashing of the game at all from anyone, there's 1500 people downloaded it now.

Or do you mean you couldn't upload the score cause of an internet issue ?

Yes maybe I should have called it a-STEROIDS heh ;)

Glad you enjoyed it and that is a great score !

When you say it crashed, what do you mean exactly ? As I've never had any reports of crashing of the game at all from anyone, there's 1500 people downloaded it now.

Or do you mean you couldn't upload the score cause of an internet issue ?

Yes maybe I should have called it a-STEROIDS heh ;)

when I pushed upload high score it crashed and came up with a error report I have bad wifi so it may have been sometg ing to do with that if it happens again ill copy the error report and send it to u

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

when I pushed upload high score it crashed and came up with a error report I have bad wifi so it may have been sometg ing to do with that if it happens again ill copy the error report and send it to u

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if it happens again just shoot me a PM with the report.

If there is a stall of communications the upload high score should just time out, I'll check that out to make sure it's working OK.

I saw @kane score when he said he got 10th and he's still there though dropped to 12th now...

3.7M is huge, did you finish the game on the Veteran Mission - 2nd loop through ?

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if it happens again just shoot me a PM with the report.

If there is a stall of communications the upload high score should just time out, I'll check that out to make sure it's working OK.

I saw @kane score when he said he got 10th and he's still there though dropped to 12th now...

3.7M is huge, did you finish the game on the Veteran Mission - 2nd loop through ?

no I got to veteran and past the first bonus level and got wiped out by a comet and the same thing for the 3.3 mil game those comets haha

no I got to veteran and past the first bonus level and got wiped out by a comet and the same thing for the 3.3 mil game those comets haha

When I was Beta testing some players hated the comets, but i wanted to keep them in as i think they are a good surprise to keep you on your toes. to make players feel a bit ssafer I put in a comet warning alarm and text flash a couple seconds before they strike so you know one is about to come and clear out the way.

In Brutal skill level they come from both sides of the screen and are heaps faster. Loop it on brutal you get to deal with three comets :D

When I was Beta testing some players hated the comets, but i wanted to keep them in as i think they are a good surprise to keep you on your toes. to make players feel a bit ssafer I put in a comet warning alarm and text flash a couple seconds before they strike so you know one is about to come and clear out the way.

In Brutal skill level they come from both sides of the screen and are heaps faster. Loop it on brutal you get to deal with three comets :D

oh yea comets are a good mix I like it the way it is can't really suggest anything I'll try 2 player with my son over the weekend with him and see how that goes

oh yea comets are a good mix I like it the way it is can't really suggest anything I'll try 2 player with my son over the weekend with him and see how that goes

Great that you're playing 2P! Try the co-op mode, it's good for when you are playing with someone who is not familiar with the game as you can take the heat off them and do the hard work, plus you can share lives in the co-op, at evey map screen either player can donate lives to the other player.

Edit: your score is there, 4th on the ladder, nice :)

Edited by Jed