Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sega Rally pc conversion

Purchased off an AA user on FB (thanks Greg!), not sure he's alias here...

So here it is! The project cab! And boy is it going to be one hell of a project.

As some of you know, I put a WTB post to get an L2M2 kit in preparation for this... I just didn't expect it to come so quick on both the project cab and the L2M2 kit. Nevertheless, it has happened so I now have this mammoth task to to.

ebd892c55ed81ceae55dd4094a0f5743.jpg

The end goal is for this to be a Sega model 2 emulation cab (I'll take model 3 or Naomi as well if it's possible, but the main objective is model two true FFB like the aecade). I will interface the original parts with a logitech Driving Force pcb using the L2M2 kit. I've never worked with a racer before so this is going to take a while.

I haven't spent that much time with it today as I'm occupied doing othet things but the quick 30 or so minutes I spent on it, here's what I found:

Chassis needs major work. I'm not sure if Joey can fix this. I'll email him and see if it's doable.

7f6b39cb928bed98007e6af3f198fbcf.jpg

The neck board is almost in two pieces! :(

4c94e19ac401af52faf5898ef9d1f50d.jpg

I'm not sure if the tube is functional...

d9f235fcef786b4854016dd983142381.jpg

I always thought these were 29 inch? I wonder why this is a 26 inch. I have a spare 29 inch tube and MS9 and would've much preferred to use my spare than have to look for a new or replace the chassis and possibly tube.

The sides are shot! Don't have any major issues with this as I have plans to replace it with Daytona sides (I'm going to assume they fit perfectly fine?

f64c32f4bc0a2b24bc499067dbe3fd8c.jpg

The shifter, pedal, wheel are all intact, but I'm not sure if they are operational.

13f439ca27565572ccfd6669d5816f20.jpg

And the game storage section.... A whole spaghetti of wires..

This is going to be the most challenging build to date.

410fab9f6e8019a5cb783fe537ddb1ef.jpg

Anyone know where you can buy these 12 core wires?

8ab351cb3f265a90c4fd55d74e505ca0.jpg

To do/buy:

- I would say clean, but I want to test functionality before anything, so the first thing is to get the chassis sorted

- wire up mains to the step down and connect the monitor

- quickly wire up a jamma harness and switching psu to test the monitor

- purchase a logitech Driving Force so the L2M2 can be connected up

- purchase a JPAC to connect the PC to the CRT monitor (will need to use CRT Emudriver)

- wire up the ffb, L2M2 and logitech Driving Force pcb

- purchase a daytona vr button panel

- start configuring the pc to ensure it all works

- once all that is done and confirmed, then I'll spend time on the aesthetics

- clean thoroughly

- purchase daytona sides

- purchase daytona seat back

- start playing!

I seriously thought my guncon/Namco gun project was daunting... That had nothing on how overwhelmed I currently am taking on this project!

If anyone has input or has done something similar, please feel free to add your comments or insight. I'm going to need as much help as I possibly can.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Edited by mR_CaESaR

I only purchased the non working cab.

I didn't care for the game as I was always going to rip it out.

I would assume all other parts are faulty too, but I honestly don't know. The steering module doesn't look too bad albeit a few wires cut.

3bd3ad8a2bd4c8410c62106549ae6a70.jpg

bf6af7cf56af9f1a444d9e22b52f073e.jpg

0954be4e3743a03b7bb59eb79f59eb36.jpg

4780d69bcb79869a02452c6fb48fef17.jpg

And of course... It wouldn't be the same if there wasn't chewing gum filth at the back of the wheel :)

6213d0f54f50e99d761bebf8097cca7c.jpg

Is it safe to assume all Sega cabs are interchangeable sides?

93c3fca91e9f00a3d1bcd8ccd0bd1759.jpg

2fc4f336c9967bee48ffad1f411d81a4.jpg

d843b8418808bf9d0b2b6fab8fce5721.jpg

I wouldn't even know where to start in fixing this panel, so I will eventually purchase some daytona ones - on the hope that they will fit

Daytona ones will fit for sure , I have a setup running model2 in a twin world rally cab , no force feedback dam , but using original steering wheels pedals , witch I would love to upgrade to something like hyperdrive a hyperspin setup just for driving games

Looks like you have a nice project there. I would either try and splice the damage cables or ask if anyone has a set from a wrecked cab. I'm currently helping someone with a Sega Rally twin and an L2M2 conversion so hopefully I can share some info as needed.

Looks like you have a nice project there. I would either try and splice the damage cables or ask if anyone has a set from a wrecked cab. I'm currently helping someone with a Sega Rally twin and an L2M2 conversion so hopefully I can share some info as needed.
I'll figure out what they are and make new connectors.

I know those are TE Amp Up connectors (same as the astro city) and I might already have some, and the other connectors that I'll need to figure out.

Any help/info with the L2M2 conversion will be greatly appreciated as I'm well beyond my depth atm..

Just realised I'll need a JPAC too to connect the pc to the monitor.

I know there are at least 2 different molds that Sega used on that style of cab and they are not interchangeable but the backs of them are quite different

Would be good if someone in Sydney had another "model 2" cab that's a proper 29" and could "lend" me one of their sides.. I may just have to risk it.. the photos looks like it'd fit.

Spent some time on the cab and just gave it a good clean...

I'd imagine this is about 20+ years of filth :) :)

32e66a79d983cf441e79674369d18dde.jpg

Check out the pedals!

aae8f65776398ac980a637f54d84d4a8.jpg

Also managed to get a logitech Driving Force wheel and tested it on the m2 emulator and she appears to run just fine.

5eb52dea4ded7bba794316e4d8c72e8a.jpg

Time to rip apart this pour soul

8356b986fbc79f47b5263156b3fd78e0.jpg

Voila!

3220a343a37b9f01743385d63d3af90c.jpg

Next steps:

- test the monitor - refurbished chassis is on the way (decided to bin the current one based on Joey's recommendation)

- solder up the L2M2 interface

- get some power into the unit

- work out exactly what I need to do to connect the L2M2 to the current wheel setup and FFB module

- work out what to do with the original pedals - does this connect to the original logitech board?

Did you have the 24V plug pack plugged in as I noticed the FFB LED is not lit in your 3rd photo.

I will have a PCB soon that will make connecting the L2M2 to the wheel much easier, make sure you keep the wiring.

The pedals should connect to the RJ connector on the Logitech PCB. I plan to do this part soon so I will let you know if it works or if the original pots on the cab will need changing.

Did you have the 24V plug pack plugged in as I noticed the FFB LED is not lit in your 3rd photo.

I will have a PCB soon that will make connecting the L2M2 to the wheel much easier, make sure you keep the wiring.

The pedals should connect to the RJ connector on the Logitech PCB. I plan to do this part soon so I will let you know if it works or if the original pots on the cab will need changing.

No I didn't.

Where is the FFB LED? I plugged in the 24V plug pack but did not see any LEDs. I'm not sure if all JST connectors need to be plugged in though to get the LED to come through.

I'd be interested in seeing what your PCB will look like and if it makes this whole process easier, I'm all for it!

The LEDs are on the Logitech steering wheel. They are unmarked. One lights when the USB driver is loading and the other lights when FFB is enabled. Maybe you haven't enable FFB in the emulator or setup somewhere? I will see how I did it and get back to you as it been I while since I did that bit.

The LEDs are on the Logitech steering wheel. They are unmarked. One lights when the USB driver is loading and the other lights when FFB is enabled. Maybe you haven't enable FFB in the emulator or setup somewhere? I will see how I did it and get back to you as it been I while since I did that bit.
On the actual wheel?

If so, that makes sense since I removed everything except the pcb.. Looks like I need to disassemble the wheel again lol.

I didn't set ffb anywhere.. I managed to get the wheel and pedal to work, but ffb was not configured at all.

I know ffb works as I tried it on GT3 on the ps2.

I'm sure the wheel will be fine. I will need to check later but I think you set the FFB in the setting for the game or the ini file.

In the ini file look for:

[input]

XInput=0 ;Enable support for Xbox360 compatible devices

EnableFF=0 ;Enable Force Feedback Effects

Both L2M2 boards now soldered up! (only need one for now, which is fortunate since the second L2M2 is missing a few components)

I'll wait to purchase the insulation tabs before I install the transistors onto the heatsink.

I'm hoping to get my chassis from Jomac sometime this week so I can hopefully get some power to the cab. I really hope the step down transformer is still operational. Will find out soon.

L2M2 kit courtesy of Ray - thanks again! And of course Andy/homepin who made it all happen as a kit

11d3ccc27606a8460c9f11ec2faf5c2f.jpg

L2M2 soldered up... I really hope I didn't install any components in reverse!

52cc79e44ce6dbda03333703eda23d0d.jpg

The back view.. As clean as I could solder..

0d2435242b8d8aacf4b0ce748f339806.jpg

Next steps:

- crt chassis and power to the cab

- work out what I need to connect

Awesome work so far!

Keeping a close eye on this thread as it is something I'm just starting to source parts for myself, great timing to cross reference this build, so i have the model 2 complete steering panel/ Logitech driving force gt pedals on their way and trying hard to find an old cab , Sing out if any ideas :-), however stuck on on the l2m2 board any chance I get some info on where/how I can get my hands on one of this guys?. :confused

Andy made them and unfortunately he has no more.

I was fortunate when I put a WTB post and ray was able to provide me 2 kit boards.

We should ask Andy to do another run... I'd be happy to buy another couple of sets.. I know redback needs a couple more..

Pair it up with Ryan's kit.. And we have a very "plug and play" solution :)

Definitely i'll be needing one not too far away, ill see what I can muster up.. I'll try revisiting with Andy and keep you posted if anything eventuates in the meantime looking forward to keeping an eye with the build Cheers for the reply..

Just completed more procurement

JPAC - to connect the vga from pc to the crt (unfortunately it's the only way I know at the moment as this is the way I have my groovymame setup)

Jamma edge harness - to connect the jpac to the cab, will take care of video and possibly a couple of additional buttons for FE management

Daytona 2 dashboard with the VR panel - hoping the dash is in better condition than my current one, but I'm not sure if it's a straight swap without modification... I'll find out when it arrives. The dash was a bonus since I mainly purchased for the VR buttons.

Finally, the pac-drive to manage the vr buttons with ramjet's software.

Hopefully by the time these arrive, Ryan's pcb will be ready for sale to make life much easier connecting the L2M2 to the logitech to the steering module :)

Fun times!

6e61c24e34c359d1bfabe70218e257fa.jpg

Looking good so far. So how does the pacdrive work I can only assume similar to the ipac does only that the usb gives the power for the led to light up?
Lol tbh, I have no idea. I just read the read me of the ramjet zip file and it mentioned pac drive :)

lol! FYI Ive pm'd Andy re the lm2m board an put my hand up to get a few printed so hopefully he can get shed a little light on it and In the meantime enjoy watching how yours goes. :cool:

Yeah I've msg'd him too. Hopefully he can do a re-print.

Mine will be at a stand still until I get some parts. I can't connect the monitor to anything yet until I get the JPAC delivered.

Also need to try and work out some of the connectors

lets hope!, i'm stayed tuned till the next episode!, i am real interested on how the l2m2 board goes, and i know i'll learn a bit for when im good to go, it will be fantastic with ffb looking forward to your thought's when the time comes!