Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

[FINISHED] MGL 26 - Game 5 - Donkey Kong

Since it's the 30th anniversary of the birth of Mario the plumber this seems a very appropriate game to play.

I assume no one needs an introduction, but find your way up the building, avoid barrels, use a hammer if you can and rescue the babe.

Details:

Rom:

dkong

Dips:

Lives: 3

Extra life: 7,000

Score submissions into this thread, first line listing your score and include the screenshot. Submit as many scores as you want. Scores will close at 19:00 hrs, Sydney time, Sunday 4 October 2015.

Lets follow the convention of previous MGLs and not publish any tips until the second week of gaming.

Still no clues about if this is a popular or random game selection and how many or who nominated it.

Ps. If there are any rules or exploits about this game can the guns expose them early so we sort the issues :) I don't know of any, but I'm happy to admit to being a gaming plonker :)

Pps. It's Pinfest this weekend which may delay the Sun night MGL update.

Edited by Fire_Power

Since it's the 30th anniversary of the birth of Mario the plumber this seems a very appropriate game to play.

I keep seeing this on the net.

His first 'named' appearance was in the game "Mario Bros." came out in 1983. So he is 32 not 30.

It is the 30th anniversary of the game "Super Mario Bros." not Mario himself.

Sorry, but this has been bugging me since it started last week.

Now back to our normal program. <_<

Edit: I just did a little quick research, It was in 1982 for Donkey Kong Jr that he was named.

It is said that during the development for Donkey Kong Jr., the Jumpman character was renamed to Mario when an employee at Nintendo of America's office pointed out the similar physical appearances between Jumpman and Nintendo's Italian landlord, Mario Segale. This is later confirmed by Shigeru Miyamoto during a promotional video for Super Mario Maker, which celebrates Mario's 30th anniversary. While initially designed as a carpenter, after an employee noted that he looked more like a plumber, his occupation was changed and Mario Bros. soon followed.
Edited by mark68
Added correction.

I keep seeing this on the net.

His first 'named' appearance was in the game "Mario Bros." came out in 1983. So he is 32 not 30.

It is the 30th anniversary of the game "Super Mario Bros." not Mario himself.

Sorry, but this has been bugging me since it started last week.

Now back to our normal program. <_<

Edit: I just did a little quick research, It was in 1982 for Donkey Kong Jr that he was named.

yeah, the DK Jr intro says "Get key from Mario. Save your papa!", and later in the game there's a level called Mario's Hideout. I think there were references to him being Mario in some of the DK advertisements, but on the game itself, he was called jumpman on the instruction cards.

IMG_3006a.jpg.389d13bb78f75e9babd6f7e8972dccba.jpg

Was hoping to do better, but figured I'd at least submit something...still got lots of time though, my best is about 372K, but that was 7 years ago :o

Oh, and here's some memorabilia and stuff for inspiration while I'm playing...Mountain Dew, a Kong Off 4 marquee and an Allen Staal Kong Off 3 poster :D

IMG_3007a.jpg.eab56754fc78095f83acce09ba2fcd1b.jpg145500

Just received one of these in the mail today - http://www.brasington.org/arcade/products/hs/dk/ :)

No more lost high scores! :) I can put away those quarters as well... Really cool solution that doesn't require any ROM flashing. Got to love that.

Don't submit a score to TG with that plugged in, the DK boys will have a cow :lol Well AFAIK they still aren't allowed.

Don't submit a score to TG with that plugged in, the DK boys will have a cow [emoji38] Well AFAIK they still aren't allowed.

I aint going to be cracking a million points any time soon, so I don't think that will be happening. But it just plugs in and out so if I ever did it would be easy to do swap out. Plus the effort to submit a score just sounds too hard IMHO, so not overly interested anyway. Maybe just that Turtles score ;)

Edited by Pelly

Just an FYI, you probably don't want to be plugging and unplugging that daughterboard. I've heard the pins are thicker on the daughterboard and will probably spread the socket enough that the original Z80 might not make good contact every time. I haven't experienced this myself though, but I plugged mine (which is the D2K kit with both DK and D2K) in back in 2009 (I think that's when I got it) and it's been in ever since ;) I know it was a pain getting it plugged in. Someone did recently submit a Mappy score with a high score save kit at TG and it was approved:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/147286-Arcade-Mappy-Points-2-313-890-mike-kasper

Just an FYI, you probably don't want to be plugging and unplugging that daughterboard. I've heard the pins are thicker on the daughterboard and will probably spread the socket enough that the original Z80 might not make good contact every time. I haven't experienced this myself though, but I plugged mine (which is the D2K kit with both DK and D2K) in back in 2009 (I think that's when I got it) and it's been in ever since ;) I know it was a pain getting it plugged in. Someone did recently submit a Mappy score with a high score save kit at TG and it was approved:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/147286-Arcade-Mappy-Points-2-313-890-mike-kasper

Yeah, well I don't plan to for some time... :) Scott (who makes them) said that mine is a slightly newer model too which works in the DK Jnr board as well, so that's handy as well.