Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

It Fell Off The back Of A Truck, Honest.

Autosteve

Yep literally fell off the back of a truck while it was on a pinball trolley.

Head is smashed, a bit of harness damage and even though it shows no signs of any cabinet damage, the playfield won't go in so it's out of square.

Amazing the playfield glass and back glass that flew out when it hit side on head first, didn't break but by the looks of it, the head exploded.

Going to need to strip the head clean and clamp it back up maintaining it's square when I rebuild it and then square the cabinet back up.

Got a couple of days to get this fixed and returned. The operator wants it back out earning money.

mFdo1WSl.jpg

Umvw5tul.jpg

pVEqxtll.jpg

E9nLvnEl.jpg

i would tell the operator to bury it and let it rest

Ow Lou, I have had much much worse than this before.

One hour in and I have all the boards out and labelled. (labelled because I don't know Gottlieb System 3 wiring backwards)

F...en hate system 3 Gottliebs.

- - - Updated - - -

Its not a great game to begin with imho

It's a horrible game I'll very much agree there @oldhank

I think about 1470 of em where made so they are rare

and yet you can find them for sale in milkbars lol

- - - Updated - - -

One hour in and I have all the boards out and labelled. (labelled because I don't know Gottlieb System 3 wiring backwards)

- - - Updated - - -

i think you should slap the operator and tell him to wake up for operating junk

and yet you can find them for sale in milkbars lol

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

i think you should slap the operator and tell him to wake up for operating junk

He actually likes The system 3s and says they don't really break. Not real sure about that. Good when they work but when they fail they can be a pig to get running again.

I was quite surprised he swapped a Wipe Out for this machine.

Of the two I'd say Wipe Out the better of a bad bunch myself.

Yuck - we had this happen years ago with a brand new NSM 100 CD jukebox on its way to be delivered to a pub west of Brisbane.

Fell off the ute and smashed into a million pieces. It was toast!

Interesting thing was the boss had us all wait back the following Monday and paid a truckie to spend 30 minutes with all of us teaching us how to tie knots....:lol

True story and to this day I'm thankful for the lesson, I still use those same knots regularly.

I think my Target Alpha EM fell off a truck when I got it. The cabinet was not square, no Backglass, couldn't shut the coin door & inside the cab was smashed & split timber. It took a month or two to sort it all out but is great now.

I picked up a Gottlieb Strikes and Spares a few years ago, we go it cheap because someone had not put the clip on the back to hold the head box up. It came down at a great rate of knots , smashed the head box and detonated the playfield glass ! Would have been impressive if they where playing it at the time :lol

I think about 1470 of em where made so they are rare

Isn’t it funny how when people try to use the it’s rare not many made ploy to sell a machine as a good point, when in fact when not many were made means it was a dud and no one liked it so they stopped production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t it funny how when people try to use the it’s rare not many made ploy to sell a machine as a good point, when in fact when not many were made means it was a dud and no one liked it so they stopped production.

My point exactly lol

It's perfectly valid if the rare item is in demand.

If it's something nobody wants then yes

Edited by vintage
Fkn autofill

Rare can be a case of other reasons too. Jungle Lord didn't sell well here in Australia because everyone bought a lot of Black Knights but I would regard Jungle Lord the better machine any day.

Some early 80s pins didn't do big numbers because the industry went video machines and you couldn't give away pinball at the time but these reasons are not the case with World Cup Challenge. It is a pig.

• Administrators

Sometimes true, but then again I bet there are collectors looking for a Banzai Run who wish it was not as "rare" with only 1700 odd units made :)

Dave

luckie its just a gtleib and not a nib stern or somthing!

Enjoy the restore/fix

Ow I've had 90's Bally Williams before that have "exploded".

Actually the first "damaged" machine I saw was a Gottlieb's Incredible Hulk.

It was two weeks old from NIB and thrown from the first floor of the old Sydney Teacher's College building.

It seems they suddenly hated pinball and wanted "one of those brand new Space Invaders things".

Ow I've had 90's Bally Williams before that have "exploded".

Actually the first "damaged" machine I saw was a Gottlieb's Incredible Hulk.

It was two weeks old from NIB and thrown from the first floor of the old Sydney Teacher's College building.

It seems they suddenly hated pinball and wanted "one of those brand new Space Invaders things".

Why would anyone do that for

Stripped down, cleaned out the old Gottlieb glue,,,(it looked and felt like wax and I'm thinking was hotglue)..No wonder the head exploded.

And pulled out the few staples that were actually used to hold it together originally.

yG58xqU.jpg

Liquid Nails and heaps of staples this time had the outer frame back together and after making sure it was square, I put a piece of scrap wood across the diagonal to hold it square over night.

Next morning all nice and square, removed the scrap wood, liquid nails completely around the recess the back panel goes in and drop the panel in.

Put a sash clamp across and two staples each side of the clamp and slide the clamp up the same side a bit more and again, two staples each side.

gOHcOq8.jpg

Once the two sides were done onto the top and bottom edges doing the same process...Clamp and two staples.

Z1fVmcU.jpg

After liquid nails dried, bolted the head back on and sprayed the inside of the head in matt black...It matches perfectly with the original black paint, cleaned off the overspray from the metal board mount backing and touched up the front edge of the head while I had the chance before fitting everything unlike the back of the head I will do last.

A fair bit of damaged wiring repaired, boards back in and hope for the best aye...

ZvIwZMc.jpg

Sweet, it boots up and plays sort of. Nothing I can't fix after a bit of time.

The back still needs a paint but this head will come up looking as it did before exploding but using proper glue, liquid nails and about 10 times the amount of staples, ( mainly to hold it perfectly till the liquid nails comes up to full strength over the next week), this head will not fall apart next time it gets dropped off a truck.;)

Back not painted yet but it is perfectly square and solid. Once painted you will never know this head was in 5 pieces with only the wiring holding it together.

Nz1u3gB.jpg

Spent a bit of time on it playing looking for faults. I've got no playfield GI, a melted upkicker coil and a upper right flipper coil cooked. Cabinet wiring needs tiding up. It has no cabinet speaker but upper sound is fine.

I also had a couple of switches not registering but I found that wire off so that fine now.

Anyway on with the testing to find and fix more. I'm sure some of the switched bulbs not working won't simply be blown.

Not show quality like some of you guys turn out for your own pieces but this is a working street piece that lives a very hard life with an emphases of strength and reliability, not looks.

Plus, I've gotta get this out in a couple of days.

Nice job Steve. That'll keep it going for a few more $$$.

After reading the thread I find it interesting that some op's "hate" sys. 3's from an op point of view but I've gotta ask why?

E.g, I know an op north of here that only sites Sys.3's as he say's they are almost bullet proof as far as reliability goes.

BUT,

Do some op's like the B/W or stern stuff because you blingy them with mods to get peoples attention?

Granted, some Sys.3's aren't in the "Ooh, I have to have one" from the collectors [sic] but horses for courses I reckon.

Nice job Steve. That'll keep it going for a few more $$$.

After reading the thread I find it interesting that some op's "hate" sys. 3's from an op point of view but I've gotta ask why?

E.g, I know an op north of here that only sites Sys.3's as he say's they are almost bullet proof as far as reliability goes.

BUT,

Do some op's like the B/W or stern stuff because you blingy them with mods to get peoples attention?

Granted, some Sys.3's aren't in the "Ooh, I have to have one" from the collectors [sic] but horses for courses I reckon.

Yep I've heard near bullet proof before from some operators describing System 3s but they are also cheap. They were much cheaper to buy NIB and they are cheap to buy 2nd hand now.

Mechanical parts don't break regularly but they do cook coils but coils are pretty much fused individually.

They are usually a bit of a "soleless" game to play I feel but that's a personal point of view.

As for working in them I hate the every wire is white with just a thin band of colour especially when working on one in low light and I'm really not a fan of mosfet solenoid switching.

Mosfets blow or lock on with static sometimes seemingly for no reason causing solenoid fuses to blow, ( this machine had 3 solenoid fuses blown indicated the solenoid had got hot or locked on at some stage but replacing the fuse and no fault found)

While it may sound good just swap the fuse and going again, as a tech you really want to find something that caused the problem and try to fix so it doesn't happen again.

I do question the fuse ratings at times like this machine uses...

A 1.5amp S/B on each slingshot but uses

A 1/2amp S/B to power....

The ball release

The outhole

The soccer kicker

The close goal

The 1 bank reset

A 1/2amp S/B to power

Bottom L upkicker

Bottom R upkicker

But a 2amp S/B to power

Top L upkicker

Top R upkicker

See what I mean, no real logic especially on a multiball machine that may have multiple solenoids fire at once and seemingly relying on the S/B feature of the fuse to absorb the partial overload especially when sometime like two balls land in the same upkicker, (that happens a lot with this machine)

The irony is the fuses this machine had blown were both slingshots, ( 1.5amp S/B each)

and the Open Goal ( 1/2 amp S/B)

Again, no real logic why these would blow and not something like the bottom upkickers fuse. Maybe next time.

Thumbs up for a system 3...

The flippers...a big long stroke with even power right through the whole range and with the right coils, powerful.

The backstop rubber breaks and falls out super quick but this is a gain. The stroke extends without this rubber and makes for ridiculously easy trapping of the ball. ( a big gain for the player)

Awesome work Steve.

It's pretty bad that it took the machine falling off the back of a truck for the op to bring it in for repair. The other problems would have made it unplayable anyway. I seriously wonder why the op is anxious for it to go back on site when it was probably making no money anyway...