Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

STERN 1978 "STARS" pinball.

What do you think? I've nilly finished overhauling my Stern 1978 "Stars" pinball. I'm ready now for the outside cab pictures. I hate the original box stencils :unsure. Looks like a kindergarten drawing to me. So how about this , I get a decal made instead. I knocked this picture up on Word.

20190130_175014.thumb.jpg.6ced031a25546b2bf1ef0f04be189429.jpg20190130_175620.thumb.jpg.feb56d20f6522f1abb31476879939223.jpg

STERN 1978 "STARS" pinball.

The new stencil looks great, if it was Sttng, but the older machines came out that way. It would be a travesty to have new decals on it, but hey, it’s your machine and you do what you like. [emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a fan either. Saw your Facebook post about this and refrained from commenting. Either repaint the original art or period appropriate on the machine to give it more “pop” or leave as is.

Whilst it is your machine the artwork is part of its appeal and right to the period.

Seeing you asked for opinions.

I dont like it at all, Looks Tacky and cheap. Not that im against redoing art on a game, its just too modern and wouldnt suit at all, a sticker on an older style pinball would also look wrong .

re-paint it and re-stencil the thing and it will look magic, new paint will make the difference.

But If you really hated the art that much and dead set on a change, find a period correct design, one that would at least suit the playfield art.

Likewise, I think the new art looks hideous. Would definitely affect your resale value, if I was buying the machine off u I wld have to factor in ripping off yr decal and painting the old design back on. Wheras I wld be happy with the existing art as is, it’s in good shape for a 40 yo machine.

I have 2 stars projects which I will be making into one when I get the time. So I won’t be buying any more stars.

Paint belongs on pinballs, all pinballs in my opinion. It is just so much more durable. I often wonder how much the factories saved using stickers that are near impossible to do anything with but replace as a set.

They must of been super cheap for the factories to make and use stickers over painting. Certainly not the price side art sells for these days or the factories would still be painting them wouldn't they?.

I agree with the the what most are saying the original artwork is the way to go for a machine of this vintage it would look brilliant repainted with the correct stencils.

But hell its your machine if you want to do something else go for it just remember if you do go to sell it people want original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new stencil looks great, if it was STTNG, but the older machines came out that way. It would be a travesty to have new decals on it, but hey, it’s your machine and you do what you like.

Agree

Gidday Spurr

Some harsh comments above...but you get that with forums and grumpy old men.

I like some customized stuff myself and respect that you want to improve on the cab.

I went online and checked out Stars and agree the cab is pretty average/basic. I think with a fresh stencil job and even gloss or semigloss finish it would really jazz it up. Maybe even a bit more detail in the rocket to match the playfield or something like that. Ultimately your choice.

I respect your design but don't personally think it is a good match to the playfield and backglass era. Best of luck choosing and don't hold back showing the end result.

Kjs makes a good point. Gloss and some fine refinement or detail in the art might make a really nice custom cabinet for the machine. The decal you’ve made isn’t era appropriate but does fit with the theme of “stars”. Maybe adding to the original artwork outlines with a rocket and the background of stars with some more detailed/shading/colourisation would be really cool

I prefer to keep things original but saw this done to a Meteor and really like it. Some added details and colours, the yellow has gold glitter finish. So like @KJS suggested maybe you could play around with existing design. [ATTACH]142275[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I like that. Might even try something similar when I do mine :D

Thanks guy's for the advice ! What I have seen before was a Gorgar pin that the guy had the original skulls on the cabinet all shaded (3d look). I wished I had a picture to show you, it looked great. I also have a Gorgar pin that one day would like this done. Whatever I choose I will post up the finished product later.

In the near future I will be holding a pinball meet where a custom Stars will be in the lineup.

Thanks guy's for the advice ! What I have seen before was a Gorgar pin that the guy had the original skulls on the cabinet all shaded (3d look). I wished I had a picture to show you, it looked great. I also have a Gorgar pin that one day would like this done. Whatever I choose I will post up the finished product later.

In the near future I will be holding a pinball meet where a custom Stars will be in the lineup.

Will anyone actually see the cab artwork in the line up?