Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AA Top 100 pinball list doable or not ?

Smithy

Sick of going to PS every now and then to look at what the yankees reacon about the top 100 pins.

Can you admin fellas hook up a top 100 pinball section on this fancy forum that members can vote on.

That way it's viewed from an Aussie perspective yeah,

What do ya reacon, can do or too hard basket ?

AA is way too small a sample size, and the games available for play too limited in Australia for it to be a meaningful exercise. There would be plenty of ratings for the ubiquitous Sterns, a few for B/W DMDs and almost nothing for anything released before 1990. Many games will have their average rating based on one or two reviews. You could exclude these games from the list, but then it's very likely that the list will fall well short of 100 games. Basically, what you'd end up with is a list of which games are the most common instead of which games are the best.

I think a top 10 list of each decade from the 60s to current would be a far more useful set of lists.

That way the current machines won't dominate the list as they can only be in one of the many lists. Something like this....

Best Top 10 Pinballs Of The 60s

Best Top 10 Pinballs Of The 70s

Best Top 10 Pinballs Of The 80s

Best Top 10 Pinballs Of The 90s

Best Top 10 Pinballs 2000-2010

Best Top 10 Pinballs 2011- now

That way only 10 machines for the whole decade can be in a list and I think a list of lists like this would be far more useful to the community as a whole rather than those that are currently around.

Personally I think this is a far better way of evaluating pinballs.

the problem with a 70s top 10 is that it was an era of rapid improvement for games

the start of the 70s machines still had small flippers, but by the end of the decade, games could talk

the same with the 80's , great games at the start of the decade, great games at the end of it, but I would not want to compare the two systems

the problem with a 70s top 10 is that it was an era of rapid improvement for games

the start of the 70s machines still had small flippers, but by the end of the decade, games could talk

the same with the 80's , great games at the start of the decade, great games at the end of it, but I would not want to compare the two systems

But wouldn't that be even worse if they were all grouped together?

60's machines would be up against The Munsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I think a top 10 list of each decade from the 60s to current would be a far more useful set of lists.

That way the current machines won't dominate the list as they can only be in one of the many lists. Something like this....

Best Top 10 Pinballs Of The 60s

Best Top 10 Pinballs Of The 80s

Best Top 10 Pinballs Of The 90s

Best Top 10 Pinballs 2000-2010

Best Top 10 Pinballs 2011- now

That way only 10 machines for the whole decade can be in a list and I think a list of lists like this would be far more useful to the community as a whole rather than those that are currently around.

Personally I think this is a far better way of evaluating pinballs.

Good idea, different as well :)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe:

'66-'75

'76-'85

'86-'95

'96-'05

'06-'15

'16-'25

Also more advanced technology, a better game does not always make.... I won't go as far as examples :lol

I always think it would make the most sense to compare based on the system running the machine.

Radical (11c) and Funhouse (wpc Alpha) aren't really in the same ballpark as T2, though you could argue Funhouse both ways.

Nor are the EMs that overlapped with the early solid states.

But all the system 11s and data East version 1&2 machines seems like a fairly reasonable comparison?

What is wrong with the Pinside database? it's not just American it's worldwide and a much larger sample base than here, it will never be perfect but it's pretty good, as with any review system it's only as good as the info submitted. I spend more time at AA than Pinside, but I really don't think AA can compete with their database. If I'm considering a new pin I go straight to the Pinside reviews and look here for sales :)

I agree with Pie Chucker's comments also.

The ratings (voting) system used by other lists does not necesarily need to be copied here either. There are much simpler alternatives that would mean a higher level of input from members, just by making it Easier to lodge your vote (no score for every aspect, just list personal fave game(s) of the era, done). Basically every AA member could make their contribution to the six "top 10 of the decade" lists in under 10 mins, even if their lists are not completely filled with data.... (eg. can only come up with "top 4" for '66-'75 , no problem!, the 4 entries for that member profile still count). A member can also go to their "top 10" lists and ammend them as they discover new titles or tastes.

There are plenty of possibilities from "outside the box" :)

- - - Updated - - -

What is wrong with the Pinside database? it's not just American it's worldwide and a much larger sample base than here, it will never be perfect but it's pretty good, as with any review system it's only as good as the info submitted. I spend more time at AA than Pinside, but I really don't think AA can compete with their database. If I'm considering a new pin I go straight to the Pinside reviews and look here for sales :)

I agree with Pie Chucker's comments also.

Would be good.... except there are folk like me whom do not go to "pinside" :)

I go to IPDB, but that seems to be sliding a bit perhaps. More people ignoring it and going to the dark-side :lol

No system is perfect but I honestly think by the decade is a far better way to judge machines than a top 100 which others already do.

By the decade stops the list from being dominated by any group of machines like WPC or the latest Sterns and it also stops and makes people think back to what they actually liked and played and not necessarily what they own.

It often amazes me how people say best machine ever but that quickly changes when the next machine is released and they are now bored with there old favourite. Quite honestly if it is a great machine, it will remain a favourite I think that will stay that way for years.

By the decade is going to be a far more "less of what I own and more of what I enjoyed to play", and therefore a more honest form of reviewing I think.

Sure, the start of the decade may be mainly EMs and the end of the decade may be SS but that doesn't mean you wouldn't include EMs in your top 10 for that decade if there were EMs in that decade that you really enjoyed playing.

You could break it down further by the half decade or even by the year but that will have many doing multiple searches on IPdb to see what machines were actually made in that year.

Yeah decades (groups of 10 years) don't have to start at 0. Last EM decade (66-75) , first SS decade (76-85), second SS decade (86-95), third SS decade (96-05), fourth (ressurection) SS decade (06-15), network/LCD decade (16-25) .... so on

That groups games together a little better ?

Yeah decades (groups of 10 years) don't have to start at 0. Last EM decade (66-75) , first SS decade (76-85), second SS decade (86-95), third SS decade (96-05), fourth (ressurection) SS decade (06-15), network/LCD decade (16-25) .... so on

That groups games together a little better ?

Agree.

How hard would it be to have a "section" in each members profile where there are fields for the top 5 or top 10 personal favourite titles of each of these decades? .

Can they be drop down boxes with a list of each game counted in that specific decade?

Can this data be processed and fed into a dynamic list on the forum? (for example, a game put by a member in position 1 gets 1 point, position 2 gets 0.9 point, position 3 gets 0.8 point, and so on) .

Could it automatically update based on the current member data in the fields? (showing all available choices for each decade in order of the number of "points" they have accumulated against them by all/any members)

Can it all be made into a basic low maintenance AA decade specific "favourites list" ? (once set up)

How much hassle does this sound like @Arcade King ?

• Administrators

Sounds like a good idea. I believe you can add custom variables into the profile pages however we'd need somebody with programming experience to make us a mod to compile the data into a separate page.

I'll keep my eye out for a mod that will do the job.

Sounds like a good idea. I believe you can add custom variables into the profile pages however we'd need somebody with programming experience to make us a mod to compile the data into a separate page.

I'll keep my eye out for a mod that will do the job.

Which programming language?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Aussie Arcade mobile app