Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - X Game 3: Bagman

Game 3: Bagman

Rom: bagman

Randomly selected from the MGL Xgame list, game 6 on the list

Nominated by SectionZ

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124205091.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124205096.png

No Current Hi-Score

Manufacturer: Valadon Automation

Year: 1982

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Platform

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: unique

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)

Buttons: 1 [Pick Up/Grab Bar]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Dip switch settings

Lives 3

Bonus 30,000

Difficulty Easy

Bagman Description

Your character is a robber who runs around a mine collecting moneybags and depositing them in a wheelbarrow at the top of the screen. Climb ladders and ride elevators to avoid two angry miners. Grab pickaxes to temporarily stun your pursuers.

Game Play

The mine is three screens wide and scrolls as you move around. You must grab a bag of gold and carry it up to the surface and place it into the wheel-barrow and you must do it before the bonus points on the timer run out. Everytime you pick up a bag of gold, it will slow down Bagman to half speed allowing one of the two cops to easily catch up to him. If you are carrying a bag of gold while climbing a ladder and a cop is pursuing you, you can drop the bag of gold on the cop's head to temporarily put him out of the way. Another way to stop a cop from pursuing you is by picking up and using a pick-axe to stun him. The pick-axe can also be used to dig a big hole in a wall. You can also escape from each of the cops by getting into a minecart but the minecarts can kill you, if they run into you. Avoid moving minecarts by grabbing handles on mineshaft roof. Then let go of the handles when the cart is below you to ride the cart. To get out of the cart, you must grab another set of handles on the roof as soon as you are under them. You can also use the elevator to escape the cops and the elevator will also help you reach the surface quicker, especially if you are carrying a bag of gold. Most of the bags of gold are yellow, but there is a blue bonus bag of gold that is behind a wall that can only be penetrated by a pick-axe. Even so, the bonus blue bag of gold is twice as heavy as the standard yellow bags of gold but also worth a greater amount of points.

(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=6995)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 11th of January BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

• Like 1

Never played this one before and thought it looked quite easy. A couple of games later :blink: puzzling addictive :)

Yeah not as easy as it looks, think i'll be happy if I can crack the first level!

I remember playing it in the arcade, but probably more on my spectrum 48k + C64, on a version called 'Gilligans Gold'.

Hope some of you guys enjoy playing it & get some big scores :)

Cheers,

SZ

• Like 1

Yeah not as easy as it looks, think i'll be happy if I can crack the first level!

I remember playing it in the arcade, but probably more on my spectrum 48k + C64, on a version called 'Gilligans Gold'.

Hope some of you guys enjoy playing it & get some big scores :)

Cheers,

SZ

Quite intuitive with the amount of things you can do with a 4-way and one button, mine carts, grappling hooks, setting up levels to maximise points, lifts etc with no jump.

A platform game on a vertical screen that scrolls.

Think its another classic arcade sleeper. Good choice SectionZ.

I have managed 18,500 so far ;)

• Like 1

I've got this on my cab and have played it a few times but I'm going to have to google some basic strategies as I've never gotten through even level 1 as yet :(

Guess some games just aren't meant for gumbies :laugh:

Cheers

LT.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, SectionZ :-)

I'm finding this game incredibly hard and RAGEworthy. Tracking (and manipulating) the two cops seems key.

The bonus timer is brutal, though! Particularly for bringing bags back from the screen on the far right screen..

• Like 1

I thought I'd finished the first pattern and then found 2 more bits to it. I need more picks!

Not as useful as they first seem the picks well from the first times I tried, tricky little game.

Took me a while to get off the carts once I finally managed to get on it.

• Like 1

*the pennydrops* Ohhh you can get on the carts

Mmmmmm reading the gameplay bit might have helped

:lol Been giving this a plug for a couple of hours tonight, and the attract mode demo came on as i was standing there about to turn it off and waddayaknow! The lil fella hopped in the cart and i said to meself 'Well f**k me, that would have been handy to know!' :lol

• Like 1

Been giving it a go & tearing my hair out. 1st & 3rd screens pretty easy but the second one has been my downfall thus far.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2clun6.jpg

Finally got through the 1st level, second stage is ridiculous!!!

Edited by Ramere
  • Like 1

Happy New Year playa'z :D

Been away for the last week, still on holidaze... bagman, shizenhousen, I better get a crash course in this over the weekend. This seems kind of Lode-Runnerish ?

Update: played it finally this eve, seems quite a fun little game, how slow the bagman moves is incredibly frustrating at times, but adds to the game I think. Hate being cornered by the guards, and that timer is a bitch.

Strategy guide be damned, these kind of games are way more fun just to find your own way, imo. Points pressing is possible on screen one (worth 13k of my current high) haven't tried it on other screens, but you waste a man trying to do it...

Edited by Jed
  • Like 1

Happy New Year playa'z :D

Been away for the last week, still on holidaze... bagman, shizenhousen, I better get a crash course in this over the weekend. This seems kind of Lode-Runnerish ?

Update: played it finally this eve, seems quite a fun little game, how slow the bagman moves is incredibly frustrating at times, but adds to the game I think. Hate being cornered by the guards, and that timer is a bitch.

Strategy guide be damned, these kind of games are way more fun just to find your own way, imo. Points pressing is possible on screen one (worth 13k of my current high) haven't tried it on other screens, but you waste a man trying to do it...

I posted a link to the guide because it's such a tough game & it explains why the bagman goes slower the more points he gets & other things like being able to push the wheelbarrow, RIDE IN THE CATRS :lol etc.

Points pushing early on might be counteractive as the bagman gets slower once he hits 10k making the rest of the level harder :unsure

Is anyone going to get past the first level ???

• Like 1

I posted a link to the guide because it's such a tough game & it explains why the bagman goes slower the more points he gets & other things like being able to push the wheelbarrow, RIDE IN THE CATRS :lol etc.

Points pushing early on might be counteractive as the bagman gets slower once he hits 10k making the rest of the level harder :unsure

See above, took some doing but finally got there :D

• Like 1

I think I can see why you posted the guide now :o - the game is SO hard, in fact it's a little excruciating at times.. and we're playing this set to Easy!

Like Ramere I'd be tearing my hair out, if my head wasn't shaved. Yes and points pressing is a waste, I was continually lining up the two guards on ladders and dropping a bag on their head over and over, like I had something wrong with me :redface

For my money it's missing something, I dunno, just to give it a bit more of a FUN factor. Maybe it's to do with the game being a constant 'evade' game (seeing as you are an escaped prisoner this kind of makes sense) rather than aggression and go for it type thing, just my opinion, can see some would find it addictive for sure though.

Well nominated, but this one is just not my bag, man. Could be this one's just too hard for me :realmad:

Ramere FTW unless Kane can take him.. Xen's poker-facing ;)

Edited by Jed
  • Like 1

Gah! I *hate* this game.

I didn't realize until I read that guide that you could move the barrow around. It's just so buggy, and random, and RAGEY :-P

Anyway, here's my piddly score.

0003.png.6ece4c6a7dfd34259a96be2734b3daf7.png

• Like 1