Thread: taito crown basketball

State
    Truganina, Victoria
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2866 Post(s)

taito crown basketball

Another load of crap i probably shouldnt have bought, but i couldnt leave it to die in a paddock.

crown basketball. possibly taitos first arcade game? or maybe after periscope?. no one is too sure.

Its going to need a whole new cabinet made so it will be living on this pallet for a while but hopefully its day will come. Or ill just hoard it? the jury is out.

Making the dome wont be fun, might have to pay someone else to do that bit.

bb1.jpgbb2.jpgbb4.jpgbb5.jpgbb3.jpgtbasket1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

bb6.jpgbb7.jpgbb8.jpgbb9.jpg

State
    NSW (Newcastle)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)
    I love this game. I actually had a small toy version in the 80's that I spent hours playing.

Good on you for saving it... I wouldn't be game to take on such a project but wish I could.

- - - Updated - - -

This looks very similar to the toy I owned.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Basketb...EAAOSwlvNcxLTU

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1386 Post(s)
    That machine has my DNA on it. I wonder what happened to the dome?. The last one we had made locally for it was lexan. I suspect someone wanted an oversized bird bath.

State
    Truganina, Victoria
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2866 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    That machine has my DNA on it. I wonder what happened to the dome?. The last one we had made locally for it was lexan. I suspect someone wanted an oversized bird bath.
    i thought it was mud and mouse guts lol. bloke said he never had the dome.

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1386 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiredoug View Post
    i thought it was mud and mouse guts lol. bloke said he never had the dome.
    I didn't realize that was the machine you were asking about the key for. It should have been changed to an 82, 83 or 84 unless it was in an area that has restricted access to like the back door on an upright in which case the locks were left as fitted, the year of manufacture and the cashbox was always changed to a Chicago Lock multi combo unit.

The early Taito locks, up to 8200 were super easy to pick, kids were using bobby pins and that is why we changed them to 8200 and later on all the operations machines.

If you can't pick the lock with a bobby pin, grab a kid off the street to help.

State
    Truganina, Victoria
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2866 Post(s)

I didn't realize that was the machine you were asking about the key for. It should have been changed to an 82, 83 or 84 unless it was in an area that has restricted access to like the back door on an upright in which case the locks were left as fitted, the year of manufacture and the cashbox was always changed to a Chicago Lock multi combo unit.

The early Taito locks, up to 8200 were super easy to pick, kids were using bobby pins and that is why we changed them to 8200 and later on all the operations machines.

If you can't pick the lock with a bobby pin, grab a kid off the street to help.
    lol i cant confirm or deny any knowlegdge of lockpicking sorry. access isnt an issue though its smashed to bits underneath.

this isnt a nsw machine it came from country vic. It has all the original taito style locks but they arent stamped.

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1386 Post(s)
    Just a word of advice. If your forced to drill the lock out, drill directly inline with the offset latch drive coming out the back of the Taito lock, not in the dead center like normal locks. They are tough and you don't want to drill more than you need to.

If you can access the back of the lock, undo the latch nut, grind the latch to gain assess to the lock retaining nut and remove it. Most Taitos don't just allow you to just undo the latch nut to remove the latch, they are still held in place unless you turn the lock. Something you can't do without the key.

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Quoted
    514 Post(s)
    Shouldn't be too hard to get working again, it's probably just a fuse...

If you can get the complete lock assembly to a locksmith they can pick it for you and cut a key (if they have a suitable blank).
    I've had a locksmith do it once for in the past and it wasn't too expensive.
    There's plenty of youtube videos on how to pick locks and the tools are available on ebay which aren't expensive.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1386 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard to get working again, it's probably just a fuse...

If you can get the complete lock assembly to a locksmith they can pick it for you and cut a key (if they have a suitable blank).
    I've had a locksmith do it once for in the past and it wasn't too expensive.
    There's plenty of youtube videos on how to pick locks and the tools are available on ebay which aren't expensive.
    Booby pin with some kid with a hat on backwards I say..

State
    bunbury WA
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1210 Post(s)
    Booby pin with some kid with a hat on backwards I say..
    Maybe back in the day. These days its a brick
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information