Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

I'M BAAAAAAAAACCCCCKK! (and some pics of something I have been working on)

Probably 10 years since I have posted on here - life finds a way, and gets in the way!

Greetings to all from back in the day and the epic AA meetup in brissy all those years ago!

Anyhow I got called to help a mate of a mate with his truck simulator. I suspected it was just a PC with Euro Truck Simulator and a wheel.

"Hey Humphreys I can't get my truck simulator working, can you have a look?"

I'm expecting my friend to be having issues with Euro Truck Simulator on his PC.

Nope it's a bit more involved:

KIofJ8r.jpg

uQ2JDIg.jpg

G6jkPSB.jpg

bgc0vOj.jpg

MM0tBXF.jpg

McjcFoj.jpg

lThQo8X.jpg

Tvay8G5.jpg

PHVZEiW.jpg

And he has two of them.

Everything runs of 4 computers. One for each of the big screens (PXE) Wake On Lan. And a central PC for the instrument screens, CANBUS for the wheel/pedals/gear shifter and seatbelt. This also runs the simulation software and tells the others what to do over some sort of DirectX system.

Oh and theres a 5th computer that is for the trainer to **** with scenarios and grade the driver.

Edited by Brodieman

Good luck. I had two sims I looked after on site and the thing they both had in common was poor self diagnosis ability. You had to check everything manually. Yours appears to be giving you some diagnosis which could be helpful but what about when it doesn't boot and no displays come up?. That is an example of poor self diagnosis.

One I looked after was a roller coaster sim that had 18 sets of opto beams so if some jumped over the surrounding fence, the moving cab the rider was in would stop dead for obvious reasons, however, if the machine was switched off and one of the beams was out of alignment, no screens. Riders seat belt unbuckled, no screens. Cabin not in it's correct park position when turned on, no screens.

See what I mean and that is without even going into PC errors that are enormous on moving sims the public have access to.

You can spend hours on these machines chasing your tail but somehow I always managed to get them running again.

About the hardest to track down was a wire that broke in the seat belt webbing. Wire didn't snap, the break was inside the plastic of the wire in the copper resulting in an intermittent break so the machine would suddenly start to work, maybe for two days and then just stop dead. No faults in the diagnosis were ever listed. That was an arse to track down.

We ended up getting everything going now - it was down to some screwy networking issues with the units. Also the owner decided to start swapping towers between the two setups randomly!

Ow God help you when some clown becomes a technician while the technician isn't around.