Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Arcade Rewind Cocktail Cab - Thoughts?

Hey All.

Wanted to see if anyone has purchased or has used one of their cocktail tables.

Now before everyone says "build your own", which is my prefered option, I just don't have the time.

I have been saying for years I will, build a Mame Cab and it has never happened.

So for an out of the box solution I wanted to see what you guys think.

I was told that LCD view angles can be an issue but without seeing one it is hard to tell.

I was looking at either this one.

https://www.arcaderewind.com.au/product/arcade-rewind-2475-game-cocktail-arcade-machine/

or this one

https://www.arcaderewind.com.au/product/arcade-rewind-3500-game-cocktail-arcade-machine-perth/

I like the 3500 one as it has several games I want like NBA Jam. However there is only controls on the side so games like 1942 may not look as nice as they play better on a portrait view.

I believe they run a Jamma Board inside.

Is it possible to add more game Roms to a Jamma board or are they factory set?

Anyway keen to hear anyones opinion.

Every cocktail I have ever seen with an LCD in it has terrible viewing angles. Even the much touted Homepin Hankin LCD looks very average when viewed at an angle, and it was supposed to be better than most.

The ones you have posted are the same generic Chinese cabs that are sold by a whole heap of places. Lots of people have issues with them due to shoddy wiring, shitty multi-boards with reliability issues and dodgy screens. Your mileage may vary, but those style of cabs are not well liked on here.

Specifically, do you NEED a cocktail? Getting a horizontal cocktail doesn't make much sense to me when you want to play 2-player side by side games. Playing them on a cocktail is not an optimal experience. I'd go with a lowboy or something similar.

There are some cocktails called three sided cocktails that have 2 controls on each vertical side and then one 2 player control on the horizontal side. Maybe you should look into one of those? When setup correctly, they can play vertical games in their native screen aspect and also do the same for horizontal, no rotation required, just switch controls when you want to play different styles of games.

Adding ROMS to Jamma multiboards is possible, yet difficult. You need to get specific boards that people have hacked and follow detailed instructions to add ROMS. It's not easy.

Hey Mate.

In an ideal world I would prefer a stand up one, it is what I always played as a kid.

However I will not be the only one using it, the Kids will get more use if it is a cocktail as they can sit.

I know what you are saying about quality and that they are not super popular here.. But you arcade people are hard core.. LOL.

It would be like saying to me to buy a Virtual Pinball Machine..... Over my DEAD body.. LOL.

However what other options do I have?? there doesn't seem to be anyone else making anything like this and LCD seems to be the only way

Also they do do a 3 sided one.

https://www.arcaderewind.com.au/product/arcade-rewind-2475-game-cocktail-arcade-machine/

But it just didn't have several of the games I wanted... :(

There is always this one I guess.

https://www.arcaderewind.com.au/product/arcade-rewind-3500-game-upright-arcade-machine-with-nba-jam/

But I was just trying to keep size down.

Yeah, I am not sure what one is best to buy. As you said, most of us arcade nuts don't really like any of them. I know that the Homepin Hankins are built with better build quality than your average Chinese cocktail, but they will not be what you are after, as they are only vertical orientated and 2 player controls on opposite sides.

What about getting someone on here to build one for you? @Kaizen used to do a fair bit of work in that field and he is Brisbane based.

Yeah, I am not sure what one is best to buy. As you said, most of us arcade nuts don't really like any of them. I know that the Homepin Hankins are built with better build quality than your average Chinese cocktail, but they will not be what you are after, as they are only vertical orientated and 2 player controls on opposite sides.

What about getting someone on here to build one for you? @Kaizen used to do a fair bit of work in that field and he is Brisbane based.

Happy to pay someone to build me one and put in good quality stuff.

As you said it is just finding someone with the time to do it.

Thanks for your feedback mate.

What about one of these?.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/97258-Wall-mounted-arcade-cab

Seems to be the best of both worlds. Doesn't take up valuable floor space and could be a good screen when not being used as a video machine.

Not speaking for @Kaizen but I think he may be on a winner if he took this idea a bit further like fitting height adjustable wall mounts so the machine can easierly be set at different heights on a wall and installing an RPi running something like OpenLec so it is a media player or jukebox when not being used as a video machine.

Like I said, I don't speaking for others but maybe Adam could come up with something like this for you and you could be rest assured it would be a quality product.

• Administrators

As suggested these are pretty bad. I would also highly recommend a 2 player lowboy and then have 2 bar stools in front of it. That's what I have and the kids loved it. It IS true however that younger kids for some reason LOVE cocktail cabs as has been my experience. I think it would depend on your kids age though because as mine got older they much preferred the lowboys etc.

Brad

As suggested these are pretty bad. I would also highly recommend a 2 player lowboy and then have 2 bar stools in front of it. That's what I have and the kids loved it. It IS true however that younger kids for some reason LOVE cocktail cabs as has been my experience. I think it would depend on your kids age though because as mine got older they much preferred the lowboys etc.

Brad

Yea, mine are 4 and 6 so seem to prefer sitting but that will change as they get older..

Mate there was one that a guy at work bought. It’s a console but had a crapload of games on there and just hooked into the TV via HDMI. Wasn’t that expensive but could be an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrators

Probably one of those Pandora consoles. They're fine if you don't mind looking up a printed list to find your game as the game list is NOT sorted alphabetically.

Brad

Yea I saw those consoles. They are fun but don’t have the appeal of a hole cab.

Given the feedback I am thinking I will look for a upright and move away from the cocktail.

Maybe I will be the guinea pig and get one of their uprights and I can let you all know what it is like..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk