Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

VPN services

Hey guys,

Was somewhat surprised yesterday to see that the government have expanded their site blocking to start targeting private torrent sites. The major one that I have used for years was blocked yesterday, up until now, they have only been targeting the low-hanging fruit of public torrent sites. Is anyone else a member of a private site that has been blocked? I'd be interested to hear from others.

Anyway, I signed up for a VPN, as I have been putting off doing it for ages, the siteblock pushed me to get it done. I went with Express VPN for a month to test them out. I am trialling them first, as according to all reports, they are hands down the best for p2p speeds. In a month, I will cancel Express and then try another, cheaper one, to see what kind of speeds I get.

Thus far, with ExpressVPN, I can use p2p at around 12-12.5 megabytes a second. Without using ExpressVPN, I can usually get just over 13 megabytes a second. I'm happy with the speeds and can handle losing 1 megabyte a second for the security a VPN provides.

If anyone has any experiences with fast VPN services, particularly for p2p, let me know. PIA is next in line for me to test, or maybe Cyberghost, and I'd be keen to hear any other recommendations from people in the know.

Have you changed your DNS settings at Modem or PC level? Seems like Aussie ISP's did a simple DNS server change as it requires the least amount of effort. Use 1.1.1.1 Private DNS or 8.8.8.8 Google or 9.9.9.9 or Quad9.

It really depends on your setup. I have PIA only running on NZB & P2P Dockers on file server - everything else running through ABB DNS.

PIA only accepts certain servers for P2P - a little trickier with my setup but all accounts using Windows is quite easy with their program YMMV.

If youre interested in PIA let me know, referral = extra 2 months for both of us but I'm sure there are better deals around (I paid AU$60 for 2 years)

Didn't try the DNS change, to be honest, I am happy to be with a VPN now, it's the best way to go about it these days, even just to get around the metadata retention laws. F*ckers.

I will let you know if I sign up to PIA and do the referral thing. It will be a month before my ExpressVPN expires, and I will be looking to try out new ones then.

• Administrators
Have you changed your DNS settings at Modem or PC level? Seems like Aussie ISP's did a simple DNS server change as it requires the least amount of effort. Use 1.1.1.1 Private DNS or 8.8.8.8 Google or 9.9.9.9 or Quad9.

This. I just edited my routers DNS settings a year or so ago when they first started. You can also do just individual devices but globals best imo

Brad

This. I just edited my routers DNS settings a year or so ago when they first started. You can also do just individual devices but globals best imo

Brad

Are you worried at all about your traffic still being intercepted? I got a VPN simply as I feel that when the gov starts blocking private sites, which have always flown under the radar, they are ramping up their efforts. That worries me a bit, so I reckon I'll just stick with a VPN for now.

• Administrators
Are you worried at all about your traffic still being intercepted? I got a VPN simply as I feel that when the gov starts blocking private sites, which have always flown under the radar, they are ramping up their efforts. That worries me a bit, so I reckon I'll just stick with a VPN for now.

I am and I'm not. See since Australia is part of the 5 Eyes program pretty much all our traffic is already searched in some way and has been for years. Remember when the NSA was busted with spyware embedded in Cisco equipment too? China got in on the act with spyware embedded in Lenovo equipment....and there's plenty more of just the stuff we know about. Now we have a retarded government trying to enforce back doors into encryption. Call me a pessimist but I think we've already lost the privacy "war". Our populations are too ignorant and lazy to actually do anything about it.

Now a VPN I really like the idea of but since most western governments are in on the surveillance thing I just cannot see why VPN's are magically immune. We've seem major torrent sights embedded with agency stooges and even TOR has been a victim. VPN's to me are really only to get around basic things like geo-blocking and if you're really into pirating latest release movies etc but you'll always be at risk due to chain of trust. Any link in that chain could be a plant, a front, spying you name it.

Brad

I am and I'm not. See since Australia is part of the 5 Eyes program pretty much all our traffic is already searched in some way and has been for years. Remember when the NSA was busted with spyware embedded in Cisco equipment too? China got in on the act with spyware embedded in Lenovo equipment....and there's plenty more of just the stuff we know about. Now we have a retarded government trying to enforce back doors into encryption. Call me a pessimist but I think we've already lost the privacy "war". Our populations are too ignorant and lazy to actually do anything about it.

Now a VPN I really like the idea of but since most western governments are in on the surveillance thing I just cannot see why VPN's are magically immune. We've seem major torrent sights embedded with agency stooges and even TOR has been a victim. VPN's to me are really only to get around basic things like geo-blocking and if you're really into pirating latest release movies etc but you'll always be at risk due to chain of trust. Any link in that chain could be a plant, a front, spying you name it.

Brad

Yeah, we have lost the war on privacy a long time ago, but with the ExpressVPN no logging of data and no backdoor access, I feel like it offers a reasonable layer of protection. I guess this will all be tested in the courts when the Aus gov asks VPN providers to start identifying users. Thankfully, ExpressVPN is not an Aussie company, so as far as I know, they cannot be forced to comply with Australian legal requests for information. We will see how it all pans out in the future. It makes me think just how much money our useless bunch of government monkeys are wasting on trying to block this shit. It's like they don't even realise that they can't possibly win.