Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

JAMMA-FYING Outrun

Picked up an LAI Outrun a while ago not working.

Someone had replaced the original AMP connectors with individual pin connectors, only thing is there were several not connected as they weren't sure where some of them went.:o

Luckily I had another working machine to test the board on and after replacing some ram chips it was all up and going.

Once I had the board running I started investigating what went where using my running machine as a reference.

Here are the pinouts for all the connectors:

1216265184_OutrunPinouts.thumb.jpg.f1e2a2686e6fe0723749c265f45b25bc.jpg

1239154761_OutrunJAMMAConnections.thumb.jpg.ba745d2afab73d108e7c49bd3748b605.jpg

Not all the 5V and Ground connections are required at the board, the only ones really required are the two at A24 & A25 on the 50 pin connector.

Connections B1 to B16 are all connected to Ground and B17 to B25 are all connected to 5V internally.

These are all supplied through the 10 pin connectors located next to the RGB connector.

The LAI connector was like all LAI connectors I've ever seen - corroded beyond repair. I really don't know why LAI installed these with the socket facing upwards, this just invited dust, dirt and moisture to settle there and ruin the connector, so if the game was ever going to be reliable this had to go in favour of a new JAMMA connector.

The original LAI setup did not have everything going through the LAI edge connector but seeing as I wanted to also use the adaptor on my test rig and a JAMMA connector has more available connections I decided to run everything through the JAMMA connector for a simple one plug setup.

1956460883_OutrunJAMMAHarness.thumb.jpg.30a9172de4245a85cb2d2bcba224f104.jpg

The only connection I haven't tested or proven it's use yet is A22, this goes to a SS relay board and I believe is to run the brakelights at the rear of the machine

So after sorting out the ratnest of wires and joining the wires together where the LAI connector originally was I had the game up and running:

855131704_OutrunJAMMA.thumb.jpg.6ba1451094ba75469ea7cb2fe633643e.jpg

Now a much neater setup that should be good for another 32 years :)

Oh and of course it's always madatory to install the enhanced freeplay roms to get attract mode in freeplay mode and a remote battery pack for high score saving.

http://www.finck.net/outrun/index.html

Edited by Boots