Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Hyperspin won't start registry issues??

Guys just bought my first arcade machine yesterday got it home powered it up and machine monitor was playing blind.

I shutdown the machine checked all the cables and reseated the graphic card, restarted and machine worked ok for about an hour tried playing a pinball emulator and computer crashed.

On boot up hyperspin gets stuck and won't start.

If I close hyperspin I can't open windows explorer or control panel and get a message

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

I don't have the original windows 7 install disk.

Computer is a dell.

I believe it may be a registry issue, definetly no computer guru has anyone experienced this issue.

First venture into arcade hasn't been a good one so far.

20190507_110508.thumb.jpg.7f94d8c7d6a6e9d8e4faf326a115f0f7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

Man, hyerspin is hard to trouble shoot. It's clunky at the best of times. I don't think it uses the registry though.

Go to the folder, attempt to run it from there.

Try administrator mode also.

It sounds like you are trying to open an unknown file type. Hyerspin.exe is what you're after.

Or am I reading that your file explorer is not working. That is a format and reinstall for me. Can you even access registry through cmd? Sounds like it needs a rebuild at very least with a windows disc

• Administrators

First venture into arcade hasn't been a good one so far.

Just to clarify, this is not a venture into Arcade. I mean you talk about Hyperspin AND your image shows a TurboGrafx theme which means its running multiple Consoles, Computers and Mame. It's a computer (including computer monitor that's been shoved into a hand made cabinet.

Not dissing your choice by any means as I have several mame'd machines but your issue is not Arcade based but computer software based. Sounds like the previous owner "broke" the install OR it was sold to you as not completely working. You're in for a steep learning curve if your PC skills aren't strong.

I would strongly recommend setting up a like for like install on your daily computer until you understand it and then repeat that process on your cab. This will be a struggle otherwise and this way you get to learn how it works and can fix it in any future event that it stops working.

Cheers,

Brad

Could be that they have shelled windows to boot to hyperspin as the shell rather than just having it boot on startup in normal windows running mode. This may explain why nothing else will run?

• Administrators
Could be that they have shelled windows to boot to hyperspin as the shell rather than just having it boot on startup in normal windows running mode. This may explain why nothing else will run?

My suggestion as well.

The issue is that Hyperspin typically uses:

Hyperspin

HyperHQ

Rocker Launcher

AutoHotkey

Xpadder

Instant Sheller

before it even gets to an Emulator and required files. Fault finding on a forum with an inexperienced computer User is going to be difficult. If its not instant sheller or similiar, you start working down the list. My advice up top imo is still the way to go.

Brad

Thanks guys I'm pretty keen to learn how it all works so any help would be appreciated

In safe mode I can't open control panel or windows explorer so I assume it's a windows registry issue. Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

It's a dell Oem windows installation I'll investigate downloading a copy.

I have attached a photo of the startup programs in case that helps.

IMG_0179.thumb.JPG.081de8859e750335485ccb8bc29aa7b1.JPG

My money is on corrupt windows system files, which includes registry. Windows recovery. You don't need a legit version to run it.

In saying that I agree with Brad. Hyerspin setups aren't hard, they are just involved. It's not plug and play by any means and you'll always have to tweak something eventually. Most likely unless you have gone through the process you won't know where to start.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

• Administrators

I still say its a shell problem, not a registry problem.

I would actually enable all of those startup features and then restart the machine.

This should then boot into Hyperspin (assuming a good install)

Then exit Hyperspin and see if it reverts to Windows Desktop.

If ESC doesn't exit Hyperspin (you can change the keys) then

explorer may be hidden i.e. taskbar is on autohide.

Press the windows key to display menu

Otherwise in the process list in task manager does it have explorer.exe running.

If not then select the run command and run explorer.exe and this will start the taskbar/start button.

Brad

Brad

Im away from the machine for a few days and will reenable all the startup programs when i return.

What it was doing before i disabled the startup programs was hyperspin would startup but would take a long time,no sound and the screen would freeze on a picture.

Pressing escape i would get a message hyperspin is not responding do i want to wait or exit hyperspin.

I chose exit and exited to windows desktop.

Once on the desktop i cant access control panel or windows explorer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

If you can access the registry then check the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

It may have been changed to make it boot straight to arcade. Make a backup of the registry key (Or the whole registry if you're going to be doing anything else) and then change it to explorer.exe

This should hopefully make it so you can access explorer again

Thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate the help.

I've made a bit of progress.

If I booted the machine and left it for say 20 minutes hyperspin would slowly load but was unuseable.

Brad explorer.exe is running.

What I've found is I opened msconfig then services then disabled all services and rebooted the machine.

Hyperspin loaded no trouble at all but I had no sound.

I then methodically enabled all services until I found which one was the culprit. It turned out to be a service called Power.

With power disabled the machine boots up into hyperspin but still has no audio and the speaker in the task bar has a cross on it. Also games don't load.

If I enable power again the machine gets stuck loading hyperspin but when I exit to desktop the sound works.

If I exit to desktop I still can't open control panel or windows explorer and still get the same message. This file does not have a program associated with it.

When the machine starts up it starts windows then hyperspin does that mean it is not shelled?

Sorry about having to use photos but screenshots are hard without explorer working and without control panel I can't connect to wifi.

IMG_0185.thumb.JPG.64590042e659f5d2e9795c04eda2d9ab.JPG

Ok guys going nowhere with this issue, I'm thinking it must be a windows 7 system fault.

Looking at buying a new hard drive and starting from scratch.

Recommendations for hard drives size brand etc.

I noticed online 2TB sea gate fire cuda are recommended??

Also should I upgrade to windows 10??

Thanks

I have an ssd 60gb and a 2tb HDD.

Programs on the ssd, a few hyerspin menu themes and vids and most of the resources on the HDD.

If you go into emulation of cd/dvd go bigger.

Starting from starch is the way to go. Once you get your head around it, totally worth it.

I also have windows 10 and have no issues.