SA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

STERN COSMIC PRINCESS RESTORATION

Hi everyone,

First time restorer, long time listener here

Bought my first project pinny, a 1979 Cosmic Princess(woot!), looking forward the journey.

Sending the boards off to Ken, so that is sorted but the playfield is the main area of concern for me.

The mylar is peeling off and bubbling. From initial investigations (and a little gentle pulling) the bits that are lifted and the immediate surrounds are coming off easily and without artwork.

It seems like I havenít got a choice, but Iím a bit unsure about removing it. Apparently there is a 50/50 chance of peeling off artwork.

Iíve heard can depend on the year the pinny and in turn the chemical composition of the playfield layers. Also, where and how it was stored.

It hasnít been loved for a long time but It doesnít look like itís sat in the sun for years. The cabinet and playfield (from what I can tell through the filth) donít look badly faded. Looking also the terrible cutting and laying around the rollover target Iím wondering if the Mylar was applied by an operator as opposed to the factory. I know they were knock-down kits sent to Australia so I guess that makes sense? Not sure if thatís a good or bad thing....

What do we think chaps? Is Mylar removal the only option or can you clean/re-stick and/or trim off the bad bits?

Cheers!

Image1557275185.738947.jpgImage1557274786.205368.jpgImage1557274800.092567.jpgImage1557274843.879666.jpgImage1557274855.729870.jpgImage1557274869.232912.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

State
    Port Pirie, South Australia, Australia
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    With mylar removal be prepared for the worst. Are you prepared to have to send it off for a full restore job?

I was prepared to bare the cost of a full playfield restore and as it turned out that's exactly what has happened. The mylar removal bombed and ruined a lot of the artwork.

The end result is that it will cost me around $1K to have the playfield fully restored.

So just weigh it up.. to what level do you plan on restoring this pin to.. would you be happy just to clean up the mylar as best as possible or worse case completely write off the playfield removing it and bare the cost of sending it off to be restored?

In any case good luck with the project! Looks like fun

State
    Wollongong NSW
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    540 Post(s)
    Some sound advice their from cejay

Most of the time you only see the good results and not the bad..

Don’t tell the wife I like removing Mylar so I can get a new playfield...

State
    Toowoomba QLD
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    There is plenty of advice out there on removing mylar. I have seen heat applied to soften the glue and I have seen freezing done to remove mylar. I think slow and steady either way. My Card Whiz had its mylar removed before I got it and it lost some artwork. If the playfield is toast with the mylar on then you have nothing to lose. Just be careful in your approach.
    This is where it ends!

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    304 Post(s)
    Looks like an awesome project. Love the artwork on this one its a beauty.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

State
    Wollongong NSW
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    540 Post(s)
    Another method to remove the Mylar is just put it out in the sun ..
    It worked well as I had no paint lost...

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Looking forward to your restoration..
    Last edited by Pinoffski; 8th May 2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added text

State
    Mulgoa, NSW
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)
    If the playfield was already wearing when the Mylar was applied, you're likely to pull up a tonne of paint.

I've done it twice, once went really well - Diner, once went really badly, which was a Black Knight that probably had Mylar applied in the mid to late 80s.

If you see any planking under the Mylar, forget it, you're either sending it to Savage or buying a repro.

State
    Central Coast,NSW
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1969 Post(s)
    I agree with @Pinsare and @sleazius on the two areas.
    Mylar removal is a crap shoot but I've found the older the mylar the more chance the glue/tac is on its way out so if there is no planking or flaking already under the mylar your cahnces are good IF it was still summer and you could rely on the sun.
    The sun method works well as it warms the whole PF (plastics and everything else removed) and not just localised heat/ freeze.

Now having said that I ruined a Flintstones PF. Experience now tells me I had it all stacked against me:
    1 - It was late autumn/ early winter. (didn't know about the sun method then)
    2 - used my wifes hairdryer and tried to rush it as I was afraid of melting inserts -doh?
    3 - At the time the FS was only 10-ish years old and a newer mylar/glue - still had a mighty hold on the PF.
    4 - I started down in between the flippers instead of test trying a piece up the top out of sight.

All lessons I've learnt but mylar removal and I just nod at each other from the other side of the street.

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Railways View Post

All lessons I've learnt but mylar removal and I just nod at each other from the other side of the street.

well put mate, I think Iíll give it a good clean first and think about that later in my restoration career!

Thanks for all the input everyone.

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

A good summation of the project, written on the backboard:

Attachment 147714

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast