Thread: STERN COSMIC PRINCESS RESTORATION

State
    Bulli NSW
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1645 Post(s)
    Australia
    if that is all the problem is I'd just clean up around the edges and not take the risk. once you strip it back, deep clean and replace and clean all the plastics.

as jeff said above, I have had mixed results

don't take the risk 'cause if it goes to shit then it needs several hundred to be restored.
    looking to buy gottlieb electro mechanical pinball machines from any era

State
    Truganina, Victoria
    Mentioned
    397 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2762 Post(s)
    Australia
    i would remove that.. in the sun as suggested by others

based on others of the same era i have done it has all the signs it wil come off easy but leave a lot of glue residue. go really slow. the damage is caused when you go too fast on a cold bit.

a bigger issue you wll find than a stray spec of lost art is that its masking the sunken inserts.

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by illawarra_steelers View Post
    if that is all the problem is I'd just clean up around the edges and not take the risk. once you strip it back, deep clean and replace and clean all the plastics.

as jeff said above, I have had mixed results

don't take the risk 'cause if it goes to shit then it needs several hundred to be restored.
    Thanks for weighting in mate, any suggestions for cleaning plastics? Iíve heard that Novus #1 is good or will Shellite (Naphtha) do the job? Iím planning on using Shellite for the playfield....

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

State
    Bulli NSW
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1645 Post(s)
    Australia
    plastics novus 1 works well. for the playfield there are lots of different ideas people have towards that. there was a post a few days about about different types of wax people use.
    looking to buy gottlieb electro mechanical pinball machines from any era

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

Boards removed and ready to be packed up and sent away for some lovin.

Image1557843129.135905.jpg

Removed the displays and gave the inside/outside of the cabinet (plus the backbox) a good clean while I was in the neighbourhood. The colours on cabinet/inside of the cabinet are surprisingly bright and look pretty great already. There is a bit of wear on the side art but nothing too drastic. 🥳

Three of the five displays have burn marks and/or have come apart so I reckon they are cactus! Promptly ordered a set of five displays from Tangles.

Image1557843391.564786.jpg

Image1557843427.705841.jpg

Found this flyer online. This will be my ďHoly GrailĒ mission, if anyone knows of the whereabouts of any ďPhotomatĒ units I will be very interested!

IMG_0736.JPG

Love the idea of this technology, does anyone know much about these units?

Iím assuming itís a Polaroid photo system and that itís a world (pinball) first to have a camera taking a photo of the highest scorer?

State
    Shepparton Vic
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1727 Post(s)
    Australia
    A bit of talk about the camera in this thread...
    https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthr...ghlight=cosmic

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

UPDATE:

Ok, I took all comments on board and got stick into stripping the playfield. All the plastics and metal posts etc have been removed, bagged and labelled.

There were a couple of sections of Mylar that had already lifted and so I was going to trim it back and clean around it. With a bit of careful pulling the Mylar came off super easy (initially, even without the use of a hairdryer) and (in a discrete section) did not take any paint off whatsoever.

Image1558078836.778757.jpg

Image1558078862.028058.jpg

Soooo, the long and the short of it is I successfully got all the Mylar off without taking off any artwork🥳(well, a few tiny flakes, but nothing noticeable). To be clear, I wasnít going to, but it came off so easy that it really had done itís time. It was applied after a few years of use by the looks of it, some of the minor playfield scuffs were underneath.

Image1558078909.514468.jpg

A few questions, if you please:

1) Whatís the consensus on cleaning and waxing the playfield as is?Iíve heard that with HUO a regularly waxed playfield will last for years without further damage.
    Iíve looked into clear coating and it looks a bit beyond me at this stage but I do have access to a vacuum press to re-apply Mylar (or something similar?). I am however a bit unsure how an entire playfield would fare under heat and vacuum pressure? Iíve sealed a back glass before (to prevent further flaking) but nothing wooden....

2) whatís the recommendation regarding cleaning playfield metal posts & screws etc? Can you use a vinegar bath similar to the legs and coin door?

3) Finally any advice on ball swirl marks? Thinking Shellite then Novus #2?

Cheers!

State
    Wollongong NSW
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    515 Post(s)
    Australia
    To remove ball swirl , magic erasers and isocol (rubbing alcohol)
    You can buy it from Woolworths..

Just be careful as you can loose the art work very quickly...

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

UPDATE:

Removed all the plastic posts and put them through the top drawer of the dishwasher in the cutlery basket. They were pretty good but I finished them off by scrubbing with a toothbrush in soapy water to get all the rubber goo off. Now they look great!

Image1558934852.933800.jpg

Also soaked all the metal playfield parts in vinegar to get rid of rust etc.. Had to meticulously bag (containerise) them up to keep track of what goes where:

Image1558934975.683431.jpg

Soaked them for five days (purely because I wasnít able to get to them sooner) then cleaned off the residual gunk and polished up the parts that will be visible. I was going to use Motherís Mag Auto Polish but had an ďout of stockĒ issue when I went to the auto shop. I bought Autosol metal polish instead and am very happy with the results.

Image1558935323.558634.jpg

Iíll aim to tackle the playfield next or deal with the legs and coin door....

State
    SA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Australia

As an aside, does anyone know how long it takes for rubber to turn rock hard? It would be interesting to know and would help me approximately date when the machine was last serviced.....

Image1558935741.798505.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information