Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Security System

Can anyone recommend a security system .

I am looking to mount 2-3 sensors outside under the eaves on our holiday house .

Will need a large hard drive and or capable of retaping on itself as kangaroos are quite often in the yard .

Have got plenty of roof space to run cable and mount a hard drive etc.

I also want to bust the old lady across the road walking her dog in my yard to shit as she does this to other yards when I am there and I keep finding surprises when I mow.

Thanks

I have been trying to research this lately also. There are so many options.

I'm thinking I probably only want one out the front and we have wallabies in the yard also, I like them ☺

I would prefer wireless WIFI solar so I can install myself if I can get one that ticks all the boxes.

But I read of so many people giving bad reviews about things like slow reaction time missing the event. Not able to reset camera from phone when it drops out, only 7sec cloud recording. Any of these things would make it a frustrating waste of time and money.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I have been doing security since 92.

At the moment Dahua 4k or 8mp systems are the way to go.

Smart phone apps and pc and mac software. Just connect to your router . These are Chinese but are very good.

Message me for more info if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 setups at my house, front and rear. They are a uniden 4 camera wireless system. Simply plug in to a power point and cameras are preprogrammed to system. Infra red so day and night time viewingCan be set to record 24/7 or upon motion detected, which I use. Record back to a small screen which I have displayed on a larger monitor for viewing. Uses a memory card and the files loop deleting the oldest file, depending on card size. Cheapish, does what I want and easy to setup. Can be viewed by phone if setup through router.

Speaking from an installers point of view.

Grab a Dahua or Hikvision IP CCTV kit & wire it in. There are many combinations available to suit your requirements. You can get a 8 channel system that comes with 4 cameras as a start and add more cameras if you need to later. Footage storage time & capacity varies on the HDD size you install in the recorder. Generally 2-4TB HDD will give you between 2 weeks to a month of 24 hour saved footage form around 4 cameras (there are other factors that can alter this) before it automatically overwrites the oldest footage.

We have been installing Dahua systems for years, put hundreds of them in and found them easy to maintain & for customers to use.

If you have a remote site (no internet) use a 3G/4G SIM router with a cheap Aldi plan SIM and you are covered.

Im not a fan of the likes of the TPlink, Swann & Dlink systems, we get customers buy them for us to install and they usually develop problems after 12 months.

The kits from Jaycar (techview brand) & Fracarro have also been on & off in terms of quality & reliability.

Personally we err against wireless or WIFI setup as they can be prone to interference and still require constant charging, replacing batteries or still hard wiring power to them.

+1 for Dahua or even alhua 4mp and up, they also have HD over coax cable for retrofit when there's already existing infrastructure.

If you buy the cameras and recorder separately instead of a kit, I have some pre made rj45 cables left over from a camera kit you can have if you need them.

Is it risky to buy cameras and recorder separately? Is it a hassle to make them work together?

It can be. Particularity with 'home brand' stuff like Dlink, Uniden, Swann etc. These names churn out products on a very regular basis so this is where you have to know exactly what you are dealing with in terms of communication format, resolution etc. as most of this is not shown or is hidden in fine print on the box or literature. When dealing with these and others, if you are planning to add to an existing system or mix and match, grab the model number of the DVR or NVR and check it on the manufacturers support page. Manufacturers usually provide a current device model compatibility list for you to use as reference. Quite often you will find firmware or software update are required in order for the main system to be compatible with more recent devices.

If cameras and recorders use ONVIF there is a better chance of it working cross branded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ONVIF

In theory yes, but in practice not really.

Alot of cameras are not compatible with other systems.

You should buy the recorder and cameras all together at once.

Some higher end recorders can be used with multiple camera brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Super Moderator

Analogue cameras are cross compatible across the board

TVI cameras (hd over coax) are cross compatible across the board

IP cameras are generally not very compatiable across the board

Some IP system manufacturers will require you to buy a 'dongle' to allow third party Cameras to be used in their platform, other's will simply exist together. But then you might run into issues such as using a 5MP camera on an older 2MP NVR. It's a mine field.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

ONVIF

giphy.gif

I find with ONVIF, manufacturers bamboozle customers by stating or labeling their products as general ONVIF or ONVIF compatible and that is it. It is rarely listed what ONVIF profile is used which can limit connectivity or function of the system. Adding a 3rd party camera to a system even listed a ONVIF compliant can still result in a picture but no motion recording or a limited security function due to the ONVIF profile the different individual manufacturers pick and choose to use but still label their product as being under ONVIF.

This is the same thing that happens with HDMI, 3D displays and now also this 4K/8K nonsense.

Do your research to suit your requirements. Stick with the same branded system to eliminate almost all your issues. Read till you understand the specs and fine print.