Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

VP10 on lower spec machines

I remember @OzStick used to have a thread about specs he's tried with VP10, I couldn't find it, but thought I'd post this.

I've been setting up an old desktop I have as a test with VP10, as i wanted to extract the current gaming PC in the VPin and use it elsewhere.

The old desktop i've been setting up is an older platform i've used as a development and work pc for a while. Speccy dump:

spec.jpg

These components can be had pretty cheaply - the Q9550 CPU is an old but very capable Quad Core CPU ($20-$40 Ebay) and I scored the 2GB 660GTX for $30 as the only bidder on fleabay. The HDD's are nothing special at all, no SSD, and only 4GB DDR2 Ram.

This spec is running VP10 full screen with two screens perfectly, Max detail settings, realtime AO updated, reflections on playfield, 1080p res playfield and 720p backglass. Ran ACDC perfect, and I tested some of the more recent releases from the last couple months, all run perfect.

Pretty gobsmacked!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not into building PCs but have added graphics cards and upgraded to SSDs before, but would something like this be a good starting point, then just add better graphics card?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Optiplex-780-Core-2-Duo-3-0Ghz-4GB-Ram-250GB-HDD-Win-7-Pro-Desktop-PC/201448640084?epid=1468173661&hash=item2ee7464e54:g:l0UAAOSwm79cv8J2

I'm not into building PCs but have added graphics cards and upgraded to SSDs before, but would something like this be a good starting point, then just add better graphics card?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Optiplex-780-Core-2-Duo-3-0Ghz-4GB-Ram-250GB-HDD-Win-7-Pro-Desktop-PC/201448640084?epid=1468173661&hash=item2ee7464e54:g:l0UAAOSwm79cv8J2

It's probably a little under powered in the cpu, which is important for VP. and these Dell optiplex don't have a lot of room inside the case to add decent video cards, which can get large.

Nope - a Core2Duo will struggle trying to run VPX even with all its settings cranked right down. You'd end up with tables that don't look that great due to losing too much detail and the performance still won't quite be up to the task.

You are way better off spending a bit more on something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Compaq-Pro-6300-SFF-i5-3470-4GB-DVDrw-WD-250GB-HDD-Win-10-Pro-2018-WIFI/123751151496?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

That PC is still very good value for money and combined with a GTX1050 and a 240Gb SSD it will run VPX really well. There will still be the odd table here and there that will struggle, but for those you can slightly lower/reduce/disable certain settings on a per table basis to get them to behave.

Cheers, Chris

Doing a bit of Googling this evening, it seems that the RX 570 is a better option (more FPS in most games) and is slightly cheaper:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39087/asus-radeon-rx-570-expedition-oc-4gb

Again, due to the fans, unsure if that would physically fit in the above listed SFF machine? And I guess the main playfield monitor uses this card, and the backglass monitor uses the standard inbuilt output?

Thanks Chris.

As Jed pointed out, would the GTX1050 fit insde the SFF case? Does that one card drive both screens or do I need 2x of those cards?

you only need the one card to run 2 monitors, as long as the card is good enough. I've run 2 monitor setups on a 660 and a 970. the 970 was overkill though.

i haven't done exhaustive tests with the 660, but it run everything i threw at it including complex sterns like ACDC. and i got the 660 for $30 bucks !

the machine ozstick linked is a bigger case than the optiplex, so it should fit most cards. i had to pull out the tin snips to shoehorn the 970 into a standard (older) PC tower case though.

newer cards like the 1050 would be smaller form factor i'm guessing. (haven't seen one in the flesh to say for sure.)

ohh, don't give me MORE options to consider!! lol Even in ebay there seems to be multiple versions (and brands??) https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gtx+660+2gb&_sacat=27386&_sop=15

So that's a 2GB card, but you reckon that will do the job fine? I'm not interested in 4k or anything, 1080p will be fine so long as its smooth enough FPS wise.

I used this card in a lenovo SFF and it works great, 2 monitors on the card, and one on the in-built video, works great at 1080, no good for 4k though.

The card also doesnt need the extra power connector either, which most

SFF dont have and the GTX 660 needs and draws more power.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gigabyte-nVidia-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GB-Low-Profile-Gaming-Graphics-Video-Card/152904423558?epid=559878306&hash=item2399d05886:g:T2QAAOSwsZhcMxzh

Edited by sriley50

wasn't suggesting get a 660 gtx... just that i got one for 30 bucks and it's running vp10 well in an old repurposed desktop i already had.

if doing a new build then sure, get a 10 series card the power and noise factors are both much less.

those links above look like a pretty good build to get going with vp10.

The i5-2400 will slow things down somewhat and affect performance in VPX to the point where you will need to tweak some settings (probably) further than you would want to.

The minimum spec I've been suggesting lately is an i5-3470 and you should be able to pick up an HP/Compaq, Lenovo or Dell SFF for around $175 with that CPU in it. The video card and SSD you've linked will be perfect - IMO 240Gb is fine for SSD but the 500Gb will give you plenty of overhead should you chose to use PuP Packs or go crazy with high quality media files for all your tables.

Cheers, Chris

The i5-2400 will slow things down somewhat and affect performance in VPX to the point where you will need to tweak some settings (probably) further than you would want to.

The minimum spec I've been suggesting lately is an i5-3470 and you should be able to pick up an HP/Compaq, Lenovo or Dell SFF for around $175 with that CPU in it. The video card and SSD you've linked will be perfect - IMO 240Gb is fine for SSD but the 500Gb will give you plenty of overhead should you chose to use PuP Packs or go crazy with high quality media files for all your tables.

Cheers, Chris

So this one with 8GB RAM would be even better then?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF-Desktop-i5-3470-CPU-3-20GHz-8Gb-Ram-250GB-HDD-5450/283442404421?hash=item41fe7bdc45:g:0IUAAOSwTmxci2fA&frcectupt=true

Also, PuP packs - what is that?! Is that the feedback exciter speaker system or am I getting terminology wrong?

So this one with 8GB RAM would be even better then?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF-Desktop-i5-3470-CPU-3-20GHz-8Gb-Ram-250GB-HDD-5450/283442404421?hash=item41fe7bdc45:g:0IUAAOSwTmxci2fA&frcectupt=true

Also, PuP packs - what is that?! Is that the feedback exciter speaker system or am I getting terminology wrong?

PuP packs are Pinup packs (videos), some clever folks have made a system that plays full screen videos on the backglass interactive with what's going on in the table, much like Jersey Jack first implemented in real pinball with Wizard of Oz.

Personally, I think they PuP is a wank, and way too distracting from what you should be doing IE, looking at the ball :D

PuP packs are Pinup packs (videos), some clever folks have made a system that plays full screen videos on the backglass interactive with what's going on in the table, much like Jersey Jack first implemented in real pinball with Wizard of Oz.

Personally, I think they PuP is a wank, and way too distracting from what you should be doing IE, looking at the ball :D

Same with people wanting to run high resolutions on their backglass and DMD monitors - what's the point when you won't be looking at it most of the time to appreciate the (minor) difference? Running B2S on a backglass at 1366x768 and Freezy's DLL on a DMD monitor (only if you don't have the PIN2DMD of course:cool:) at 640x480 will then leave the video card with more resources to run the playfield monitor at the desired resolution.......