Thread: VP10 on lower spec machines

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1403 Post(s)
    Australia

wasn't suggesting get a 660 gtx... just that i got one for 30 bucks and it's running vp10 well in an old repurposed desktop i already had.

if doing a new build then sure, get a 10 series card the power and noise factors are both much less.

those links above look like a pretty good build to get going with vp10.

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djgra79 View Post
    OK so how does this sound for the PC:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Compa...53.m1438.l2649

Graphics card:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gigabyte...QAAOSwsZhcMxzh

500GB SSD:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/With-Cas...item33ebcb68cc

All up with shipping about $470. Anything else I might need to consider or change?
    The i5-2400 will slow things down somewhat and affect performance in VPX to the point where you will need to tweak some settings (probably) further than you would want to.

The minimum spec I've been suggesting lately is an i5-3470 and you should be able to pick up an HP/Compaq, Lenovo or Dell SFF for around $175 with that CPU in it. The video card and SSD you've linked will be perfect - IMO 240Gb is fine for SSD but the 500Gb will give you plenty of overhead should you chose to use PuP Packs or go crazy with high quality media files for all your tables.

Cheers, Chris

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by OzStick View Post
    The i5-2400 will slow things down somewhat and affect performance in VPX to the point where you will need to tweak some settings (probably) further than you would want to.

The minimum spec I've been suggesting lately is an i5-3470 and you should be able to pick up an HP/Compaq, Lenovo or Dell SFF for around $175 with that CPU in it. The video card and SSD you've linked will be perfect - IMO 240Gb is fine for SSD but the 500Gb will give you plenty of overhead should you chose to use PuP Packs or go crazy with high quality media files for all your tables.

Cheers, Chris
    So this one with 8GB RAM would be even better then?
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Compa...frcectupt=true

Also, PuP packs - what is that?! Is that the feedback exciter speaker system or am I getting terminology wrong?

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1403 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by djgra79 View Post
    So this one with 8GB RAM would be even better then?
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Compa...frcectupt=true

Also, PuP packs - what is that?! Is that the feedback exciter speaker system or am I getting terminology wrong?
    PuP packs are Pinup packs (videos), some clever folks have made a system that plays full screen videos on the backglass interactive with what's going on in the table, much like Jersey Jack first implemented in real pinball with Wizard of Oz.

Personally, I think they PuP is a wank, and way too distracting from what you should be doing IE, looking at the ball

State
    Croydon, VIC
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    PuP packs are Pinup packs (videos), some clever folks have made a system that plays full screen videos on the backglass interactive with what's going on in the table, much like Jersey Jack first implemented in real pinball with Wizard of Oz.

Personally, I think they PuP is a wank, and way too distracting from what you should be doing IE, looking at the ball
    Same with people wanting to run high resolutions on their backglass and DMD monitors - what's the point when you won't be looking at it most of the time to appreciate the (minor) difference? Running B2S on a backglass at 1366x768 and Freezy's DLL on a DMD monitor (only if you don't have the PIN2DMD of course) at 640x480 will then leave the video card with more resources to run the playfield monitor at the desired resolution.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information