Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Burning Naomi GDroms

Julian L7

Question

Hey all,

I've recently acquire a Sega Naomi 1 system with GDrom drive. It is all set up and functional as far as I can see but I want test the GDrom component fully before i chose to invest in any games.

In short I'm looking to burn some Naomi roms to disc. I'm only able to find instructions to burn Dreamcast games. It seems like it would be a similar process as they are but GD roms but I'm having issues with files types. All of the Naomi roms I have found are in bin format whereas Dreamcast ones are in GDI or CDI format.

I'm using an iMac and LiquidCD looks to be the best application for burning GD roms. It won't read the Naomi bin files and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Dreamcast burnt games actually convert gdrom to cdi and compress or drop data from what I understand. So with Dreamcast your not actually copying gdrom at all.

I would buy a Dreamcast, gdrom emulator like gdromsd. Roughly $150-200 later and you can try everything. Then you can hook it up to your Arcade if you're interested. If you don't like to be an out right pirate buy the Japanese versions of the games like I did for a couple of dollars each.

The netdimm method that dragonlee is referring to will only sort you out for roughly a third of the library. Imo was worth it for me.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Are you talking about dropping a gdemu board designed for the Dreamcast into the GDROM for a Naomi, like this one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/163639757065

I hadn't thought of doing that. Is this something you've actually done/seen done elsewhere? Does the Naomi GDROM use the correct voltage on the bus for this to work? The VA0 Dreamcast models used a 5v bus for the GDROM, while the VA1 model (which is what GDEMU is designed for) uses 3.3v. Does anyone know for sure what the Naomi GDROM unit is using internally? If it's running a 5v circuit, that'd leave you with the USB-GDROM as the only option: http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm. Well, that, or design and build a bridge board to adapt the voltages from 5v to 3.3v, which honestly I don't know why nobody's apparently done yet.

Well that's certainly an option too. It should be possible to handle Naomi GD-ROM based games today though. The security PIC is well understood and fully cracked now, so you could program a PIC for any game you wanted, and I suspect it'd be possible to fit or adapt a Dreamcast GD-ROM emulator on the Naomi drive without too much work. Probably wouldn't take much effort for a motivated person to pull off and publish details for everyone.

I've got a null security PIC and am looking to get the net dimm/piforce setup eventually but was looking to make self booting Naomi discs to play in the mean time. In theory would that work?

I also have a Dreamcast but it's a bit fried and only boots for approx 10 seconds before restarting.

I felt like for me that it was a lot of effort and cost considering every one of those gdroms I'd play has an arcade perfect port. As the Naomi and DC were similar hardware. I guess it would be cool, but I didn't see the value.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

I've got a null security PIC and am looking to get the net dimm/piforce setup eventually but was looking to make self booting Naomi discs to play in the mean time. In theory would that work?

I also have a Dreamcast but it's a bit fried and only boots for approx 10 seconds before restarting.

In theory NO...