Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sega Game Gear repair

I've had this unit for a while now. 9b272f51aed236e7d6d13801c4c07a51.jpg

When I got it, it was dead and after a bit if research I realised that it probably needed a recap. One recap later 5feb92fddfe6bd250fefc59bd86d4f4a.jpg

and it still didn't work. The power light would come one but nothing would play. After closer inspection I realised one of the transistors had a hole in the top of it. e04a73b865b081a6303a5d10b7946a03.jpg

After a wait for parts to arrive I managed to solder in the replacement, no mean feat when they're the size it's a grain of rice. Still no luck[emoji853].

I had another look around the board and saw that Q8 was completely missing, so after another long wait Q8 arrived and was fitted. Still no luck.

I was just about to place it in the too hard basket. The power light was not coming on and the backlight would flash on and then turn off.

It seemed to me that I had a power issue so I decided to check the batteries and what do you know, one was completely dead. After changing the dead battery and turning it on again it finally worked.d237e5fbcf30d93ed1af03ce4fb0b34b.jpg

Needless to say I was stoked. So I tried a second cartridge which ended up needing a reflow and a bodge wire and it worked too. I'm happy about that as it had Sonic and WonderBoy on it being a 30 in 1 cartridge.

df9c53a62a2c1b2a70136d3f09039287.jpg

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Glad its alive again :) Certainly looks like a nice job - think you could share the parts list? I went and ordered a heap of SMD to do one, so i wasn't using through hole caps, and they were all the wrong size!! :lol

Glad its alive again :) Certainly looks like a nice job - think you could share the parts list? I went and ordered a heap of SMD to do one, so i wasn't using through hole caps, and they were all the wrong size!! [emoji38]
I cheated on this one and bought a kit so no list sorry. The kit had through hole caps they're a bit fiddly to fit around posts. It's a pity you can't get the original style.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hi all

In 1992 (I think) my parents bought me a Sega Game Gear. I have just found it in my cupboard (where it has been stored for about the past 25 years). I have inserted new batteries and although the power light comes on, nothing else works - there doesn't appear to be any sound and although the screen turns on, it is garbled.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is anywhere I can take it (in Sydney) to get it brought back to its former glory?

[Edit - I'm not handy at all, so I'm not game to open it up]

Thanks

Scott