Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXXXIX - Game 4 ~ Jungler (closes 12-May)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 16 of 17 ...

The latest scores just in show this game is a very tough new game. You last far less time on this game than in Donkey Kong.

Od3VG3y.png

1 day to go until this super snake sized sectioned spheres game is closed.

:cry

*46,800*

Left it to the last minute again to log a score. Had around 6 games and I'm slowly getting better at it. Controls can get stuck sometimes when you need to move quickly in the other direction. Was trying to get 50K but lost momentum after awhile.

0000.png.bcfbcd4c0ed0e63f4fb8f5e2aa99d97b.png

MGLXXXIX - Game 4 ~ Jungler (closes 12-May)

I have been a casual player of this game for quite a few years and had a PB of around 40k. When this game came up in the MGL tournament it made me take it a bit more seriously and I have increased my PB to just over 144k. This beat the TG World Record which was 114k. I don't submit to TG, but if any of you do, here is a guide for what I do that may help you out.

My basic strategy for this game can be broken into four parts.

1. Run and hide

2. Eat the food

3. Camp and contract

4. Wait and ram

1. Run and hide.

In the past when I have played this game my strategy was kill, kill, kill right from the start. I have changed my initial strategy to one of survival. My aim is to keep as far away from the enemy snakes as possible, without being shot, until a strawberry appears.

I find the snake AI to be similar to the Sno-Bees in Pengo. It appears that they don't know what they are doing or where you are but they still manage to be able to corner you. The snakes will generally gravitate to where you are if you stay there long enough. Tempt them to follow you into a corner and then move to the opposite corner of the board.

2. Eat the food.

As soon as the strawberry appears I look for the quickest way to get it, although not being shot by the enemy snakes is still the priority. When it is safe to eat the strawberry I go for it. This makes my snake one segment longer.

When the game starts, both you and the enemy snakes are the same size. They are red in colour and the only way to kill them is to shoot their tails. If you have managed to avoid being shot and eat the strawberry, your snake will now be one segment longer than the enemy snakes. They will turn yellow and you have another method of killing them by ramming them head to head. I eat the second strawberry when it appears to give me a buffer - if I am shot once I will still be longer than the enemy snakes.

3. Camp and contract.

This was the 'game changer' moment for me when I worked this out and was the single thing responsible for increasing my score by over 100k.

When I have eaten the first strawberry I move immediately to a 'safe spot' on the board. I have worked out where a safe spot is for each screen (except for the level with all the squares in a grid - that plays differently to the other levels).

When I am in my safe spot I manoeuvre my snake back and forth until it is only three segments long. A full snake of ten segments can be contracted to just three, this drastically minimises the chance of being shot. There is no need to move from the safe spot for the rest of the board (unless you are hunting snakes that have been trapped at the circular trap).

4. Wait and ram

Wait in the safe spot and all the enemy snakes will eventually come to you and you can kill them all with a head to head ram. This is not maximum points strategy but it is very safe and will get you further into the game. If you pick the right safe spot you will have no chance of being shot. All snakes on the board will be yellow, including all new snakes that enter the board.

This strategy is safe for most levels. I try and make my safe spot somewhere near one of the circular traps. This allows a bit of extra point pressing as, if it is safe to do so, I leave my position if an enemy snake becomes trapped and shoot it fully from tail to head before it disappears for maximum points. I then return to the safe spot.

There is too much risk in just chasing snakes around the board. As they speed up it becomes easier for them to pursue and shoot you, or worse, ram you and kill you.

Camping spot

In this screenshot I have moved to one of my 'safe places'. Event though the white snake looks small, it is in fact at its full length after eating two strawberries. You can squash it down to this size by moving back and forth in a small space.

I am completely safe from being shot by the enemy snakes and it is just a matter of waiting and moving up or down for a head on kill.

607339767_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1557649674.459932.thumb.jpg.7bbd4203741b9117657df4ef9223c87b.jpg

The boards that are a full screen grid of squares are quite easy, even though they have no safe spots.

There is a circular trap in the top right corner of these boards. The key is to keep moving around this trap and the enemy snakes will move toward you and the trap. They seem to get caught quite easily and can either be shot from tail to head for maximum points or simply left to die. When things get too fast I just let them die. This costs me a few points but reduces risk of death or being shot and starting the next levels with a shortened snake. This is critical because, for my main strategy to work, I need to start the regular levels with the maximum length snake.

I hope this helps you increase your Jungler score.

Very sadly, this game is now closed ... :cry

- - - Updated - - -

I have been a casual player of this game for quite a few years and had a PB of around 40k. When this game came up in the MGL tournament it made me take it a bit more seriously and I have increased my PB to just over 144k. This beat the TG World Record which was 114k. I don't submit to TG, but if any of you do, here is a guide for what I do that may help you out.

My basic strategy for this game can be broken into four parts.

1. Run and hide

2. Eat the food

3. Camp and contract

4. Wait and ram

1. Run and hide.

In the past when I have played this game my strategy was kill, kill, kill right from the start. I have changed my initial strategy to one of survival. My aim is to keep as far away from the enemy snakes as possible, without being shot, until a strawberry appears.

I find the snake AI to be similar to the Sno-Bees in Pengo. It appears that they don't know what they are doing or where you are but they still manage to be able to corner you. The snakes will generally gravitate to where you are if you stay there long enough. Tempt them to follow you into a corner and then move to the opposite corner of the board.

2. Eat the food.

As soon as the strawberry appears I look for the quickest way to get it, although not being shot by the enemy snakes is still the priority. When it is safe to eat the strawberry I go for it. This makes my snake one segment longer.

When the game starts, both you and the enemy snakes are the same size. They are red in colour and the only way to kill them is to shoot their tails. If you have managed to avoid being shot and eat the strawberry, your snake will now be one segment longer than the enemy snakes. They will turn yellow and you have another method of killing them by ramming them head to head. I eat the second strawberry when it appears to give me a buffer - if I am shot once I will still be longer than the enemy snakes.

3. Camp and contract.

This was the 'game changer' moment for me when I worked this out and was the single thing responsible for increasing my score by over 100k.

When I have eaten the first strawberry I move immediately to a 'safe spot' on the board. I have worked out where a safe spot is for each screen (except for the level with all the squares in a grid - that plays differently to the other levels).

When I am in my safe spot I manoeuvre my snake back and forth until it is only three segments long. A full snake of ten segments can be contracted to just three, this drastically minimises the chance of being shot. There is no need to move from the safe spot for the rest of the board (unless you are hunting snakes that have been trapped at the circular trap).

4. Wait and ram

Wait in the safe spot and all the enemy snakes will eventually come to you and you can kill them all with a head to head ram. This is not maximum points strategy but it is very safe and will get you further into the game. If you pick the right safe spot you will have no chance of being shot. All snakes on the board will be yellow, including all new snakes that enter the board.

This strategy is safe for most levels. I try and make my safe spot somewhere near one of the circular traps. This allows a bit of extra point pressing as, if it is safe to do so, I leave my position if an enemy snake becomes trapped and shoot it fully from tail to head before it disappears for maximum points. I then return to the safe spot.

There is too much risk in just chasing snakes around the board. As they speed up it becomes easier for them to pursue and shoot you, or worse, ram you and kill you.

Camping spot

In this screenshot I have moved to one of my 'safe places'. Event though the white snake looks small, it is in fact at its full length after eating two strawberries. You can squash it down to this size by moving back and forth in a small space.

I am completely safe from being shot by the enemy snakes and it is just a matter of waiting and moving up or down for a head on kill.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=147872

The boards that are a full screen grid of squares are quite easy, even though they have no safe spots.

There is a circular trap in the top right corner of these boards. The key is to keep moving around this trap and the enemy snakes will move toward you and the trap. They seem to get caught quite easily and can either be shot from tail to head for maximum points or simply left to die. When things get too fast I just let them die. This costs me a few points but reduces risk of death or being shot and starting the next levels with a shortened snake. This is critical because, for my main strategy to work, I need to start the regular levels with the maximum length snake.

I hope this helps you increase your Jungler score.

Excellent write up bigredbird. Thanks for the great strategy and the ways to play this game extremely well. I hope all the gamers and viewers of the MGL appreciate your detailed information and your effort.

:)

Day 17 of 17.

Final Results ...

K1mjD65.png

I haven’t seen this game played for 35 years. That’s a very long time. Then it turns up for the first time in the MGL on a great nomination from Kane. I hope you all stuck with this game and tried your best as it is quite a fun game when you know what you are doing (and the other snakes too). Thanks again to bigredbird for the great strategy tips. ILLSeaBass and Ivanstorm1973 hit superb 96K and 85K scores for 6th and 7th place respectively. The 100K plus “amazing achievers” saw awesome scores from bigredbird, RMacauley, creech and DaLar for 2nd to 5th place respectively.

Congratulations to Jason Vasiloff for winning Game 4, with an excellent high score of 152,860 points. Incredible snake eating.

3lhHKaD.png

Well we have New Rally-X and Q*bert powered up and running in the arcade. Enjoy learning these games as they can be a real lot of fun once you make some progress.

:)

Edited by OOO

• 3 weeks later...
17,700pts

Finally got around to playing this. It ain't bad. I only dropped a few coins so far, though, so it may eat at me slowly or I might actually grow fond of this. Too early to tell :)

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=147650

@OOO I believe this score was not entered into the scoreboard.