Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Washed out left hand side of screen

kasp

Question

20181211_202026.jpg

Hey guys,

So I recently got a machine but as you can see the image is washed out on one side. I looked it up and they said to flip the screen which I did and it was still washed out on the same side and didn't flip. Anything I can do to fix this or is it a case of finding a new monitor/tube?

Thanks in advance

17 answers to this question

A little tip about the degaussing wand - don't activate it (keep button pressed) for more than about 5-6 seconds at a time. They get quite hot quite quickly, and cheap ones probably won't have a thermistor auto-off circuit to shut them down when they get hot.

I know because one of my wands is half-melted (still works fine though).

You'll need an extension lead for the wand. Lay it behind you when you get ready to degauss. Make sure the floor area is clear so you won't trip.

My method is to start degaussing about 20cm or so back from centre of screen, then immediately start to do (say) 2 spirals/circles moving outwards to the edges, then pull back directly away from the screen for about 3-4 metres (until colour effects are gone). Turn off wand before it gets too hot.

You should try to do all that in a smooth, even motion. Take a couple of practice runs first if you need to.

A little tip about the degaussing wand - don't activate it (keep button pressed) for more than about 5-6 seconds at a time. They get quite hot quite quickly, and cheap ones probably won't have a thermistor auto-off circuit to shut them down when they get hot.

I know because one of my wands is half-melted (still works fine though).

You'll need an extension lead for the wand. Lay it behind you when you get ready to degauss. Make sure the floor area is clear so you won't trip.

My method is to start degaussing about 20cm or so back from centre of screen, then immediately start to do (say) 2 spirals/circles moving outwards to the edges, then pull back directly away from the screen for about 3-4 metres (until colour effects are gone). Turn off wand before it gets too hot.

You should try to do all that in a smooth, even motion. Take a couple of practice runs first if you need to.

Haha wish I read this an hour ago. Yes the wand got scorching hot and fast. I unplugged it and left it alone. It did make a difference but not heaps and seemed to revert sorta. Will try your method.

Ok so degaussing seems to have done the trick so thanks for the help. :)

It is still a bit washed out on the bottom left corner but I can get the colours there but then I stuff it up everywhere else :P. I think I really need to master my degaussing technique.

Ok so degaussing seems to have done the trick so thanks for the help. :)

It is still a bit washed out on the bottom left corner but I can get the colours there but then I stuff it up everywhere else :P. I think I really need to master my degaussing technique.

Sometimes it will be nigh on impossible to get it degaussed perfectly. For particularly troubling spots, try degaussing the tube form the back. Use an access panel to get the degaussing wand up close to the back of the tube and keep trying. Be careful when doing this of course, you don't want to poke your hand near the anode cup of a powered monitor.

Hey mate. I tried a technique which Jomac suggested and it got out some real stubborn discoloration on my tube

I went in from the rear of the cabinet, to the back of the tube.

I would 'strike' the wand with only a real quick flick of the button on the wand. id have the wand in the estimated area of discoloration on the back side of the tube, then strike the wand/quick flick of button in a motion where the wand ends up from the impacted area , to the outside edge of the tube. i.e. pushing it outward to the edge almost.. Not sure if that's making sense when reading - but i re done that procedure and kept checking my progress for about a minute or two, and it came up clean and all that nasty orange was gone.

Prior to this I tried the other methods including the mentioned swirling and walking away from the monitor, but it didnt work for me at all.

p.s. Id also check those speakers - they may not be magnetically shielded. Another member on here told me one of their chinese candy cabs had unshielded speakers which kept causing return issues on the sides

Sometimes it will be nigh on impossible to get it degaussed perfectly. For particularly troubling spots, try degaussing the tube form the back. Use an access panel to get the degaussing wand up close to the back of the tube and keep trying. Be careful when doing this of course, you don't want to poke your hand near the anode cup of a powered monitor.

If you do this, do not move the wand near the gun end of the neck, it is too powerful for that. If you do, you can probably throw out your beam correction magnets as they will potentially be de-magnetized and become useless, and you may damage the gun alignment too.

Ive got two tubes here i can dig out later and show what happens when someone goes too close to the neck with a degausing wand, they've been rendered completely useless.