Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just starting to convince myself I need an arcade machine.... maybe?

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)

Just go for whatever works for you to start with and use what you learn from that to get a feel for where you want to go next.
    If your thinking bartop I would say the easy way would be just a comp and LCD with an Ipac interface. If you dont want to do the woodwork I think a few of our sponsors make flat pack kits. I personally haven't used groovy mame but I know alot of the guys seem to love it. I recommend doing things in small steps, get mame running so you understand it then look at front ends...Maybe just get it running on your desktop first

Thats just my 2 cents

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

@loki4101 yeah exactly that. I am under no illusions of how new I am to this so it will definitely be a slow start to begin the progression.

Maybe after some years I値l be more finicky about what display I am running but for now it痴 not gonna be primo.
    @namastepat I thought as much about the CRT situation which is a shame. But yes due to my first build being a bar top I値l stick with LCD for now.
    I知 looking at Gumtree now and see a 32 Bravia for $120 not sure whether to pull the trigger. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth_element View Post
    @loki4101 yeah exactly that. I am under no illusions of how new I am to this so it will definitely be a slow start to begin the progression.

Maybe after some years I’ll be more finicky about what display I am running but for now it’s not gonna be primo.
    @namastepat I thought as much about the CRT situation which is a shame. But yes due to my first build being a bar top I’ll stick with LCD for now.
    I’m looking at Gumtree now and see a 32” Bravia for $120 not sure whether to pull the trigger. Any thoughts?

Jesus, a 32" screen in a bartop would be a bit nuts IMO. That's a big ass screen for a bartop and would make for a very large bartop. Most bartops use a 17 inch or 19 inch 4:3 screen, or a 20-22 inch widescreen.

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Remember with a bartop your really close to the screen, I would consider a 19 big for one and if an upright had a 26 that was a big screen

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

@namastepat yeah... I know... but. Lol

I know that is a little big but I am thinking of getting some speakers in there too make it the sickest bar top I can. Maybe. Haha

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Just starting to convince myself I need an arcade machine.... maybe?

Okay okay that痴 a few of you saying no. Maybe that is a little on the top big size. Bravia a pretty decent tv though right? Or is there better options out there?

State
    ACT
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth_element View Post
    Okay okay that痴 a few of you saying no. Maybe that is a little on the top big size. Bravia a pretty decent tv though right? Or is there better options out there?

Definitely go for a 19-22 no bigger mate or your eyes may bleed

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)
    Ideally, you don't want a TV, you want a gaming monitor. Something with low response time and a good viewing angle.

State
    ACT
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Kids arcade machine with LCD vs Gauntlet legends cab with CRTIMG_7017.JPGIMG_6959.JPGIMG_6959.JPG

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

@Roachy1312 thanks man appreciate that. I would want my bar top too look a little bigger than the kids setup there. But I don稚 want my eyes to bleed either haha
    @namastepat a PC monitor?

Ok so maybe I was looking a little too big. But 22 seems a little on the smaller side to me. I know it痴 only gonna be a bar top but I would like it to be a beefy impressive looking one not a Diddy little thing something to stand out.

Does everyone stick to 4:3 it値l be easy enough to get a PC monitor in that size and would have the connections I want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information