Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Deeproot - Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland 2019

Deeproot - Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland 2019

Looks nice. There’s seems a lot going on at the back of the PF, can’t wait to see game play. Interested to see what the small left ramp, dare devil cycle does. Does it get the ball to the white spinning (I’m assuming it turns) Fish tales type lock wheel?

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

https://youtu.be/qH5dYcYn0gM

Right ramp made at 1:30

*apparently can not be made from a trap as the game is currently. Unclear if this is design intention or not.*

Ignore the screwed up colour pallet, there are haylide lights above that seriously screw with camera lenses. Eg that siderail is SS and it looks almost like gold (apparently the purples for one are much more dominant and brighter to the eye), and yes the constant double flipping is a bit irritating :lol

Sorry man,

OMG right ramp got made !!!

I don't care how the light affects the palette

This pin has bugger all innovation, weak gameplay and zero inspiration.

And yes before you bludgeon me for not playing the game yet,

Seriously what a hunk of junk ! After all these years and Mr RM's hype, far out I'm gobsmacked !

Looks like JJP will may get may get my coin for Gunners

even at 5K RAZA I'm out.................

With respect to DR build team, Alice better have some serious good shit or DR pinball division has no chance.

Sorry man,

OMG right ramp got made !!!

I don't care how the light affects the palette

This pin has bugger all innovation, weak gameplay and zero inspiration.

And yes before you bludgeon me for not playing the game yet,

Seriously what a hunk of junk ! After all these years and Mr RM's hype, far out I'm gobsmacked !

Looks like JJP will may get may get my coin for Gunners

even at 5K RAZA I'm out.................

With respect to DR build team, Alice better have some serious good shit or DR pinball division has no chance.

With the info and videos in this thread, all of what you are saying is pretty dam fair, if not bang on!

However, there is a great many levels of backstory and unique circumstances that give some explanation and context to the underwhelming nature of what we are seeing, versus some of the old RM hype... and setting aside all the jpoP issues, heck there are plenty of them.

For any of it to really make much sense at all, one must indulge in the series of TWIP interviews over the past 12 months. This certainly gives some insight into what this guy thinks he is going to do, trying to do.... or what he is planing to do?

First, this is emphatically a Prototype, and not a Release OR any kind of Promotion. There is no final art, placeholders on cab and B/B, includes almost None of DRs "new innovations" (except maybe the display concept, and system hardware). They have stated that it is simply site testing of an incomplete prototype, and in no way a Release of RAZA. Showing of a "Stripped Down" prototype. All that is close to final is the layout of the playfield itself (which have been subbed from Mirco, current standard?, just for these prototypes).

- However - It is a playable and scorable game with code for four separate modes, multiballs with rules, bonus sequences, E/B sequences, Thiel music/sfx .... the whole lot, it stood to be played, and most seemed to have loved it in real life, and said it was "fun". The "Ramp Made!" thing was mostly about the fact that nobody really filmed any good players playing it, and/or never filmed or pointed the camera at made shots going around the ramp. It wasn't a reveal, there was no streaming rig. It took til the second day before the world even seen a ball go around that ramp that players were saying they could make all the way about 40% of the time.... on a s#itty mobile phone! ... with a "seal flipper" playing it! :lol

To put a rough definition on what you see in this prototype, my interpretation of the percieved DR intention, this is what RM has put together that represents a Comparable level to most of todays "affordable" offerings, using current and existing pinball mechs and concepts. It seems that RM has aimed to build (in this RAZA prototype) what he sees as a hypothetical "Pro" version of their RAZA ("Premium"), with all of the goodness, glory, and speccy mechanisms Stripped Out of it. I rekon it even seems suspiciously like the Flying Saucer on a spring is in fact a blatant and deliberate dig at the "Star Wars Tie Fiter On A Spring". He wanted to show DR building to the "current standard", and create a fun playable game, that people liked. His challenge if you like. That seems to be what has actually transpired, from the reports of players. A game on par with todays lower tier.

He has always said "One Tier" ... No Pros, no LEs. Every game will have One version and that is like a "Premium", with the lot.

So, this leaves Plenty of "Wow" room for TPF.

Once again, my interpretation from reading, Alot : ... at TPF (5 days of deeproot) will be the Launch of DR as a Company Revealing/Selling Games. Also the Launch/Reveal of more than one Final Production Game. One of these games will be RAZA, but from the info it will be DRs Only "level" of game (ie. Premium), Fully Featured. Nothing really much like what you see above. This RAZA will apparently have all the Wow mechs (and some new innovations as part of that) which ordinarily get stripped out to create a "stern pro", along with all the final exterior art etc. etc..

Then.... anounce the price as "a bit less" than the Stern Pro price point.... :o

If that did happen (and they could pump out 200 games a week, or more, on this fangel multi stream line).... well, wouldn't want to be stern. Just saying.

People have made bold claims before, and although this is no different.... this weekend has undeniably produced pretty much exactly what he described. A real pinball! .... but a cut down, feature stripped .... Pro.

Without being able to pinpoint it, something is different. There is something afoot.

If things continue and do go to schedule, and the best is plenty and really is all simply being kept under wraps (which kinda makes sense thinking about it) .... the outcomes could be very interesting indeed, and a bit of a rude awakening for stern. Games built like JJP, for less $ than a stern pro? .... Faaaark I hope so!!

It is hard to picture a new company coming along and putting stern down to no.2 .... but it certainly is not impossible. They might be 9/10 of the market now, but they were 1/10 of the market once. Complacency could easily see them back there if they don't start considering some things. Heck they might even have to go back to copying other manufacturers again. RM claims to be in for the long haul, with a long term plan .... ?

Sounds interesting. Big. We will see.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll do this prototype the justice of putting up a review here by this fellow who seems to be a "muso" pinhead who was there playing music and pinball, so he played it and put his review on pinside:

"I was not disappointed with RAZA when I played it. I got to play it several times and each time I walked away saying that was fun. Yes it feels like a prototype. Yes it feels like a JPOP game. It has potential. The ramp was hard to get all the way around but I made it several times and watched others do as well. It reminded me of the Katana shot on Deadpool. Had to be perfect to make it work. I am not sure if it was a flipper issue or what for I did not notice any other games on the floor that had flipper power issues due to so many games on. The staff was extremely nice. Half of them were young Engineers and were eager to hear feedback. It seemed to me that they have been working really hard on this and were excited to show it off. Steve Bowden is a great guy and knows what he is doing and I have faith that he will make this game a lot of fun. The screen was really cool. To me it was a glorified DMD. Unlike a Stern or Jersey Jack game it was easy to follow what was going on and I like the direction they are going with it. Excited to see what the final product is going to be like" - HookedonPinonics

For AA's benefit, here's another :

"I agree with everything said here. I played at least 20 games between both units and always wanted to go back to play more. Yes, it is "simple" right now (its the prototype). Yes The ramp was not 100% make-able every time. However, when I did make the ramp the joy and feeling of achievement was that much more intense. [sidenote: I suggested that there could be a good drinking game in that you drink every time the ramp rolls back]

One of the staff in attendance was the Head of Engineering, who I had the pleasure of speaking with for a while. He told me some things that I won't share, but needless to say what was said illustrated that he isn't "head in the sand" and takes a serious, objective approach to his work. I also spoke with the VP of Operations for more than an hour just shooting the #*$@ and talking pinball in general. I really enjoyed that converstaion and it was a highlight of my time at the Houston Arcade Expo. He is a great person and seems to really know what they are up against, but is still confident that deeproot will bring value to the market. We spoke about different ways to reach out to and include the pinball community with the launch in March and beyond (all ideas for now) in a more "personal" way. Any frustrations I raised about current game design, he thought the same and always had deeper insight into the issue which showed they have already thought about it internally.

I could go on but I'll just leave it that my takeaway is that the layout is interesting and I had a lot of fun on the prototype, but what really gave me confidence in deeproot was the human conversations I had with the people there. I look forward to March and seeing what else they have in store and being able to support the great group of people who made it all happen." - JRocket

I think they will have a ton of buyers as they expect the game to be 50% cheaper than a JJP

I know that is what has been said, but are they really going to deliver on that?

Robert has made public assertions that their current burn rate is in excess of $750k a month. How long has that been going on I wonder? Hedge fund or not, people eventually want a return.

Now if by some miracle this thing does sell here in Australia for $8k, i'll buy one. I like what I'm seeing so far.

Good luck to them. All I'm seeing is another pinball machine.. with all the self-promoted talk about innovation and ground-breaking tech etc.. I'm sorry but I'm not seeing it. Yes it's a prototype and yes the code is incomplete etc but if they are starting to build games in a month, they have all the parts already made. I can't see the machine changing much in terms of flipping.

It was a risk showing it early and any negativity will most likely stick unfortunately, regardless of the changes made to the physics.. which can't be very much.

There are plenty of negative nancys getting around the interweb with their ill-informed, dismal, pesimistic, armchair assesments of this cut down "stern pro" style prototype version (to use their basic description), of this first ever deeproot game.... the unreasonable negativity is not unexpected, I suppose. Especially with disgruntled jpop victims.

The main thing some people seem to not realise, is that this Is Not a release, it's a showing of DR making a "current industry level, cut down to the bones game". Seems like exactly what this is. It is not RAZA in anything like final form, they say. More of a dig at "budget" offerings, and platform "test type". The intention being to save as much "wow" as possible for TPF, and the release of this game in the production form, as a Deeproot level game (fully featured) rather than what it seemed to be over this weekend, a stern pro level game. It does pay to read and be informed, sometimes ... if people that are interested in commenting bothered to read the interviews they would know this prototype deliberately excludes essentilly ALL major deeproot "innovations", these will be seen come March, at TPF. When the Gsmes will be Revealed. :rolleyes

Seems like a pretty exceptional effort considering the Clearly Stated Goal, and encouraging to me, and majority of those following. This is from all the reports of people whom were actually At Houston, not the armchair experts and trolls all over pinside.

Most are excited, even if some are not.

It's great to see in my opinion. Of course nobody should be holding their breath, but I for one hope he achieves what he has set out to achieve. This can not be a bad thing while he is not taking buyers money, and creating real working enjoyable pinball machines, representing good value. Be happy! :D

Pinball is the Bomb!! :P

Given what actual information Deeproot has released on their games.. everyone with an opinion is ill-informed and guessing.

Yep, as I said good luck to them. The last thing anybody should want is to see a pinball company fail. I'd love to see them all pump out new games for us to enjoy.

I just think they have to 100% nail their first title for the business to survive given what's out there now for people and operators to buy. Even if it is considerably cheaper than Stern titles.. if it's not a very good to great game then people will just buy something else as there's loads to choose from. Showing a prototype is not an ideal way to go but what the f*ck would I know.. I don't make pinball machines lol

Given what actual information Deeproot has released on their games.. everyone with an opinion is ill-informed and guessing.

Yep, as I said good luck to them. The last thing anybody should want is to see a pinball company fail. I'd love to see them all pump out new games for us to enjoy.

I just think they have to 100% nail their first title for the business to survive given what's out there now for people and operators to buy. Even if it is considerably cheaper than Stern titles.. if it's not a very good to great game then people will just buy something else as there's loads to choose from. Showing a prototype is not an ideal way to go but what the f*ck would I know.. I don't make pinball machines lol

Well, what you had written did not show any kind of understanding of the context or intention of this stripped down "pro" prototype testing, at a low key event. There has certainly been Plenty of "information" released about DR pinballs intentions, goals, and beliefs.... by Deeproot!. . Some only days prior to this proto showing (which it has been made quite clear is nothing like the production RAZA they have been working on). The post simply showed that you had not sought out any of these freely available statements/facts/intentions.

I can empathise with people not being interested in the toxic pinside scene, so I am just trying to convey some of what has been happening there for AAers to get some basic concise information.

There has certainly been a buzz created, of that there is no doubt! :)

I for one am glad there is some positive signs, good reviews, and excitment among most of the pinball community about this "pinball revolution" .... "the revolution will not be televised!" Lol ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...